Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 13, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,261 of 3,098
Okay, so I seem to have misplaced my set of Spiral Dot tips, but of the rest, here is my preference (from best to worst sounding):

Spinfit (from Earwerkz) >> Comply TX-200 >= Sennheiser CX tips >> Sony Hybrid knockoffs

The Spinfits seemed to heighten the treble slightly while tightening the bass slightly. The Comply had smoothest highs, but slightly looser (to me) sounding bass. Sennheiser was close to Comply with treble closer to Spinfits. The Sony Hybrids were actually knockoffs that came with another IEM, so probably didn't sound quite like a true pair of Hybrids would. That said, the bass went over the top and sounded bloated with these.

It's also worth noting that, with the Spinfits on them, the treble seemed smoother using my FiiO E10K than directly through my laptop. I'd guess this is due to impedance having an effect in the latter instance.

In any case, while the R2A's aren't perfect, I'm already pretty sure that I'll be keeping them. 
smile.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #1,262 of 3,098
Received my R2A's around 2 or 3 days ago and have been listening to them on 2-hour bus trips. Also have been reading comments here and would just like to share some of my thoughts which I hope may be helpful. Detailed review / impressions will come much later.

- The metal splitter is heavy but is less bothersome and causes less microphonics if R2A is worn over the ear - would have been better if it were, say, 30% lighter;
- Listened mostly with the provided comply tips so far and I don't think they obscure details in any obvious way - frequency response sounded quite close to neutral to me with the comply tips, with perhaps slightly more bass & sub-bass than my RE-400 fitted with Sony hybrid tips. Even with the complys, the R2A's sound slightly brighter overall than my RE-400;
- The R2A is more power hungry than many IEMs - it scales up quite well as it is fed more power, improving in terms of overall clarity (better definition of various elements in a track) and ESPECIALLY separation / soundstage;
- Driven optimally, separation can be absolutely phenomenal (almost effortless) and soundstage can be at least, if not even more spacious and enveloping than my XBA-H3 which can be too bassy quite often (it might have just rendered my XBA-H3 redundant). To me, this separation and soundstage of the R2A are enough for me to justify my purchase;
- One undesirable trait I've noticed so far is that the R2A somehow just sounds grainy with large scale classical orchestral recordings, especially noticeable with the strings in fortissimo 'tutti' passages - this is not the first time I've heard headphones like this and I'm curious to find out what causes this;

Lastly, I think it would be more helpful if we could also include details about the source(s) we're using with our R2's so that we can all figure out if there is a relation between impressions and the source used. This is especially important since the R2's have a relatively low impedance of 16 Ohms and any source with an output impedance higher than 2 Ohms can potentially do weird things to the sound you're getting from the R2's, especially in terms of overall frequency response. As for myself, I have listened to my R2A's with my iBasso DX90 as well as my FiiO X5, both with / without my FiiO E12DIY (but mostly with it since I've found it to drive the R2A's most optimally). All of my sources have close to 0 Ohms output impedance.

That's what I have to share so far. Will be back later after more listening and when I have more time. Happy listening everyone! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #1,263 of 3,098
I'd say the R2As are definitely worth the Kickstarter price.  They present a good soundstage for a single dynamic driver IEM; I don't find they even come close soundstage-wise to a quality multi-ba CIEM.  The R2As also lose out on detail compared to multi-ba drivers (including the Noble 4).

I like these IEMs very, very much but the positive comparisons to top end customs in certain reviews is obviously overblown and  just not true.  For the price I paid they're flat out excellent and provided you like your bass north of neutral they're a solid purchase.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #1,264 of 3,098
The BL-2 has quite a high output impedance. I'll try something solid-state tonight (P4, O2, C5, SR-71A clone).

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #1,266 of 3,098
Thought I'd chime in. I happened across the aurisonic rockets mass drop. For the price, I thought why not? I mean I've went from getting my first nice iems a couple of years ago. My er4pt's. And then buying some hf3's to use with my phone. Then I found this place. Bought some t1e's off mass drop. Then found the r2pro's, bought rockets, and have r2a's in the "mail". This place is bad for the wallet.

Anyway I've been listening to the rockets most of the day. Not sure how much burn in will change them, but I popped them in and was impressed sound wise. Not a big fan of their silicone tips. I probably need a smaller size. The want to slip out, but I can push them in very far or they hurt. The antiloop thing doesn't seem to fit me right. It digs into my ear. Didn't see the point of the tri-flange thing. So long story longer, I ended up using them with some comply small tsx-200 tips I had for my r2pro's and no tri-flange.

I'm not gonna lie. I was digging them. The cable is probably a much better cable than any of the others I have. I like the colors on the cable near the buds to distinguish left and right. And sound wise, they seemed to be a lot like the r2pro's. Clear. Non-fatiguing. Couldn't find anything that made me miss the r2pro's. I'm planning on selling off all but 2 pairs in the next month or so. Thought the rockets might make the cut and even edge out the pros!!! Especially for the difference in price.

However I finally got home and swapped to the r2pros. While there's not really any thing specifically I can point to, the r2pro's just sound so much more natural. Bass seems deeper and punchier. Separation improves. The timbre of things just gets better. I'm not listening to a recording. I'm experiences the music. The bass is the only thing I can point out as obviously different. The r2pros have a little more. And it's deeper and has more punch.

Not that the rockets are bad. Until I compared them back to back, I thought they were close. And seemingly they are. I can't say the have less mids or highs. They don't sound harsh. They just don't sound like the r2pros. Now if I can just get the r2a's. I'm really interested to hear the differences.

And like I said once I get them all hear I'm going to do some serious listening. Maybe even draw up a bracket lol. And see which two get to stay. I'm actually thinking the r2pros and hf3's will be the winners here. One of each "kind". One BA and one Dynamic. So the er4's still have a fighting chance. But unless something changes the rockets will be for sale.

Jul 13, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #1,271 of 3,098
Decide to sell R2Pro at US$550 or will ship back to Flare Audio.

Ship it back. You paid what.. US$310 right? It is against the rule to sell it for a profit here.

BUY&SELL RULE #3 : NO. YOU CAN'T SELL HEADPHONES FROM BLACK FRIDAY OR OTHER SALES FOR A PROFIT HERE (INCLUDING KICKSTARTER, INDIGOGO)​
Buying and selling items on the forums for the express purpose of making a profit is not allowed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back