Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 7, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #1,081 of 3,098
It's a little ridiculous, really. How are they going to say different metals used in the housing change the sound yet different tip materials don't, at the same time? Not to mention bore width. I dunno. :confused:

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,082 of 3,098
Which pair did you get? Impressions for these things seem to be all over the place lol. I can't say I'm thrilled about the impressions that point towards a "very polite" signature, but I guess the writing was on the wall when reviews mentioned laidback treble.

R2A.

Treble isn`t laid back, just not very believable if you know what I mean. I think the best way to put it is if you can`t do something right don`t bother doing it at all. This is what I love about the SD3, it doesn`t try to be a sparkle king.

Maybe my ipod touch/C&C BH amp isn`t the best setup for these but I have used this setup for all the iems I have owned, well the ipod touch anyway. I am not throwing the towel in yet, that would be unfair as I am a burn in believer, especially for a dynamic.
The only way is up "for me", need that treble to sort itself out and if so then the ingredients are there.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #1,083 of 3,098
I like the sonics, but, the cables are extremely sensitive: even minor movement/friction propagates through the units. Is there some sort of mod that would make these less sensitive to cable induced noise?

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,084 of 3,098
It's a little ridiculous, really. How are they going to say different metals used in the housing change the sound yet different tip materials don't, at the same time? Not to mention bore width. I dunno.
confused.gif

I`m not sure the difference can be that great but I am not an engineer and maybe they do and cannot comment on that. What I can say is that the Westone tip with narrow bore output doesn`t change anything. 
I get right ear pressure issues with silicone tips so use Comply tips mainly to combat it. A little tough with the R2A due to the sheer size (Tiny, smaller than Klipsch x10) and nothing to keep that "seal" easily.

Again, my impressions, my wonky ear setup but coped until now.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #1,085 of 3,098
R2A.

Treble isn`t laid back, just not very believable if you know what I mean. I think the best way to put it is if you can`t do something right don`t bother doing it at all. This is what I love about the SD3, it doesn`t try to be a sparkle king.

Maybe my ipod touch/C&C BH amp isn`t the best setup for these but I have used this setup for all the iems I have owned, well the ipod touch anyway. I am not throwing the towel in yet, that would be unfair as I am a burn in believer, especially for a dynamic.
The only way is up "for me", need that treble to sort itself out and if so then the ingredients are there.

I think I get it. Do you think there's some elevation at around 8-10 khz? Like a tizzy sheen that makes cymbals sound washed out? Does the treble sound brittle or thin? Just trying to understand how it's deficient as many reviews have pointed to treble being a weak point on the Flares and I kinda really like my treble.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #1,086 of 3,098
  I like the sonics, but, the cables are extremely sensitive: even minor movement/friction propagates through the units. Is there some sort of mod that would make these less sensitive to cable induced noise?

The cable only seems sensitive from the join up, not below. Doubt you can mod it without a new cable.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,087 of 3,098
I think I get it. Do you think there's some elevation at around 8-10 khz? Like a tizzy sheen that makes cymbals sound washed out? Does the treble sound brittle or thin? Just trying to understand how it's deficient as many reviews have pointed to treble being a weak point on the Flares and I kinda really like my treble.

Quite possibly. There are many Headfier`s that can tell you a peak @ X khz and I am not one but tizzy sheen, brittle washed out I can relate with alongside confused, metallic and artificial.

Jul 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #1,088 of 3,098
  The cable only seems sensitive from the join up, not below. Doubt you can mod it without a new cable.

It's quite sensitive below the join too. I suspect I'll end up recabling

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #1,089 of 3,098
Hi All,
I saw many reviews for R2 are good, to be honest, Could you please give me more comment about what is the level for R2A or R2Pro if compare with Shure 846 and Westone 260 ? How much distance between R2 and Shure 846? I know their price is not in the same level, but I just want to get some initial level of R2 sound quality.
Thanks,

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #1,090 of 3,098

Quite possibly. There are many Headfier`s that can tell you a peak @ X khz and I am not one but tizzy sheen, brittle washed out I can relate with alongside confused, metallic and artificial.

Ouch. Getting kinda worried about the Flares again. I was already on the fence when all the treble talk started cropping up. I've gotten really picky about my treble as of late, so this doesn't really sit well with me. I know WCD mentioned that the Pros can sound kind of harsh compared to the R2As, which... don't sound like they have very good treble to begin with. Hope some tip rolling changes things, although it sounds like you've already been through your fair share. 

Also, I just noticed this on the Flare KS page: 

For all U.S. Residents: just received an answer from UPS as to the brokerage fee charge. If a package has a declared value of more than $200.49 than you will have to pay this fee. Hope this helps.

and

I am in the U.S. And just had to pay a brokerage fee of $22.29 to UPS so others may want to be prepared for this.

Frickin bummer man. Anybody in the US have to pay any sort of fees in order to collect their phones? 

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:57 PM Post #1,091 of 3,098

Nope, I don't think my R2Pro has any elevation around 8-10 khz. Then again, he was describing his R2As. I really don't think it's a weak point for me. It's what makes it really suitable for long listening. If you would like your trebles to be little more present, you could experiment with wider bores.

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #1,092 of 3,098

Ouch. Getting kinda worried about the Flares again. I was already on the fence when all the treble talk started cropping up. I've gotten really picky about my treble as of late, so this doesn't really sit well with me. I know WCD mentioned that the Pros can sound kind of harsh compared to the R2As, which... don't sound like they have very good treble to begin with. Hope some tip rolling changes things, although it sounds like you've already been through your fair share. 

Also, I just noticed this on the Flare KS page: 

For all U.S. Residents: just received an answer from UPS as to the brokerage fee charge. If a package has a declared value of more than $200.49 than you will have to pay this fee. Hope this helps.

and

I am in the U.S. And just had to pay a brokerage fee of $22.29 to UPS so others may want to be prepared for this.

Frickin bummer man. Anybody in the US have to pay any sort of fees in order to collect their phones? 

I just got a missed delivery attempt notification today stating that I owe the same brokerage fee and confirmed. Looks like it's for all US customers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #1,093 of 3,098
Dumb question, is flare audio sending out shipping notifications, or just mailing them out? I'm in the States.

Jul 8, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #1,094 of 3,098
No invoice included = no Chinese Customs clearance.

Either Flare is able to provide an invoice (a paper one), or they will be winging their way back to the UK...

Meanwhile, they are incurring daily storage fees here in Shanghai.

This is the last time I order something from outside China until we return to Europe!

Of course UPS didn't attempt to contact me - I found out by chance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back