Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 4, 2015 at 3:18 AM Post #991 of 3,098
I would advise against removing the Y-splitter as soon as you receive them. Give them a few days, you can always remove it later if you want.
I don't find it to be a problem personally and I've had them over a week now.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:27 AM Post #992 of 3,098
I love how the first impression is of the Y-splitter. Maybe it's meant to be large and obtrusive to increase the sense of subtlety of the earpieces. Contrast and all

Also, what is the general sound signature of your AK100? Too many iterations, I've lost trace of which sounds like what.

My guess is that the bulky and heavy Y-splitter with its weight is meant to keep the cable straight so when wearing these IEMs over the ear you don't need to keep left and right cables together under your chin (actually there's no possibility to do it).

I would call the AK100 Mk2 detailed, dynamic, uncoloured, neutral, if not a little bit cold. I love its tonal balance, but the UI is terrible.

Jul 4, 2015 at 3:40 AM Post #993 of 3,098
Won't comment on it til I get it on Monday, hopefully
tongue_smile.gif
Although I think having color/dot coded cable cinch is probably better than having bulky y-splitter that's twice the size of the IEM itself, but that's just me.

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #994 of 3,098
The splitter was used because they were intended to be worn cable over ear. I'd suggest if you want to wear them over ear to keep the splitter and if not to remove it. Having the splitter while not wearing them over ear really pulls them too much and the splitter dangels left and right pulling on them and changing the sound if they aren't glued into your ears. Personally I like wearing any iem over ear so no problem for me. The splitter makes sure the cables aren't standing up behind the ear.

Really enjoying the pros so far btw.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #995 of 3,098
The splitter was used because they were intended to be worn cable over ear. I'd suggest if you want to wear them over ear to keep the splitter and if not to remove it. Having the splitter while not wearing them over ear really pulls them too much and the splitter dangels left and right pulling on them and changing the sound if they aren't glued into your ears. Personally I like wearing any iem over ear so no problem for me. The splitter makes sure the cables aren't standing up behind the ear.

Really enjoying the pros so far btw.

Nice. I think you're the first combo backer to receive the phones. I was wondering whether they'd ship out the R2A and R2 Pro orders first while the combo backers would ship last.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #996 of 3,098
Nice. I think you're the first combo backer to receive the phones. I was wondering whether they'd ship out the R2A and R2 Pro orders first while the combo backers would ship last.

I think I saw some other ppl on kickstarter mention they gotten a combo but I could be wrong. Mine were sent out Thursday and were delivered yesterday. Listened to them for a little over 3 hours yesterday and no fatigue. Really great detail, bass etc. Pretty much what everyone has said about them so far :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #997 of 3,098
Should arrive on Tuesday. Goodness knows how long they will end up stuck in Customs...

Jul 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #1,001 of 3,098
  If anyone is familiar with the refund process pertaining to Flare please feel free to respond. I sent them an email through their contact form on their main website but no reply yet.

Best bet is to sell here mate, plenty of people missed out on the KS price. And depending on where u live, shipping back to the UK won't be cheap either, especially with tracking. If you sell it on here, it will be snapped up in minutes and you won't lose shipping money :)

Jul 4, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,002 of 3,098
I'm looking at replacing my Senn IE80s which have sort of died (very low volume in the right ear). I've been looking at the IE 800s and it was in that thread that I learnt about the Flares. From what people are saying the R2As are quite close in SQ to the 800s and just as spacious for both soundstage and instrument separation. This will suit my classical music listening and if the bass is as good as them, my other listening as well as I enjoy deep house, dub step and trance along with many other genres . I'm waiting for a comparison between the two to come up.

Mention has been made of the treble and I wonder if this has a lot to do with the Comply tips supplied by Flare. My experience of Comply is that they tend to reduce/muffle the treble, especially the tips with the wax guards. Has anyone successfully used other tips?

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #1,003 of 3,098
I'm looking at replacing my Senn IE80s which have sort of died (very low volume in the right ear). I've been looking at the IE 800s and it was in that thread that I learnt about the Flares. From what people are saying the R2As are quite close in SQ to the 800s and just as spacious for both soundstage and instrument separation. This will suit my classical music listening and if the bass is as good as them, my other listening as well as I enjoy deep house, dub step and trance along with many other genres . I'm waiting for a comparison between the two to come up.

Mention has been made of the treble and I wonder if this has a lot to do with the Comply tips supplied by Flare. My experience of Comply is that they tend to reduce/muffle the treble, especially the tips with the wax guards. Has anyone successfully used other tips?

From my listening experiences with the IE800 I found it to be quite bassy and treble heavy. The R2A are supposed to be natural and true to life, based on impressions I noticed on the flare KS page. See the bolded parts for references to what I meant about the treble,

Quote: Martin Johnson
 The detail is incredible, and yes, even well regarded headphones introduce distortion. To the trained ear the AKG Q701, which I use often in studio, if stopped playing at nominal levels you can hear the cans vibrating for a few milliseconds. Drives me nuts!

I understand the design model you have gone for and as an audio professional it's something I have wanted but never actually heard, especially not at this price, or even the retail price! The research and technology you have developed for these have paid-off. I can now hear my mixes the way they should be heard.

I must make a note also of the comments about the high frequencies for those who are worrying. They are accurately reproduced in the R2's and if you think they don't quite stand out, here's the reason...

Professional audio products, which I consider the R2's to be, are designed to provide the most accurate sound reproduction possible where critical listening is required. What many consumers and semi-pro's are used to are products that enhance bass and treble frequencies to give an impression of good quality that isn't really there. It just sounds better because of the enhancements. Imagine a photo of a female model manipulated with Photoshop. The photo looks incredible but you're not seeing the real image, just an enhanced version to please the eye. Same principle applies in audio reproduction.

Those of you still waiting will not be disappointed. The R2A's are incredible! Oh, and if you thing waiting for a tracking number is hell just wait until delivery day!

Jul 4, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,004 of 3,098

From my listening experiences with the IE800 I found it to be quite bassy and treble heavy. The R2A are supposed to be natural and true to life, based on impressions I noticed on the flare KS page. See the bolded parts for references to what I meant about the treble,

Hopefully someone can employ subjective testing method on R2 across different earbuds, it's depending on how much the mics captured especially piano and string is a good reference against live recital. Rather than believing sound engineers, a binaural tests on environments or recording is less biased.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back