Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 3, 2015 at 2:21 AM Post #946 of 3,098

Okay. Here goes.

I tried different eartips last night,
and found that it definitely had a difference,
but it wasn't night and day.
Spitfit gave it a better sense of air,
Sony hybrids worked well as well,
while isolation was better with comply's.

The R2A to be honest just isn't a super detail oriented IEM (due to suppressed highs).

Thanks for the impressions guys. Helps clear up some things in regard to the Pro and R2A. I find it interesting that 24 bit felt like there wasn't much of a difference at all between the two phones in terms of clarity, and yet, here we have two people who feel like the Pro has good detail retrieval, whereas rogue thinks the R2A really lags behind phones such as the Supra and Ex1000. I'm not sure how to reconcile these differences. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #947 of 3,098

Thanks for the impressions guys. Helps clear up some things in regard to the Pro and R2A. I find it interesting that 24 bit felt like there wasn't much of a difference at all between the two phones in terms of clarity, and yet, here we have two people who feel like the Pro has good detail retrieval, whereas rogue thinks the R2A really lags behind phones such as the Supra and Ex1000. I'm not sure how to reconcile these differences. 

I owned the EX1000 so I might be able to compare the R2A to what I remember the EX1000 to be, wasnt too long ago actually.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:46 AM Post #948 of 3,098

Haha,
I don't think R2A "really" lags behind in terms of detail.
I think the detail is still there,
but because of the highs being not as forward,
I think its just not as easily noticeable.

I still really enjoy using the R2A,
its strengths are strong enough for me to ignore some of its minor flaws.

I am a real sucker for detail, separation and soundstage,
there for I thought the EX1000 and Supra fitted my requirements slightly better.
The R2A did these well as well (especially the latter),
and it also added a fun factor to it,
so its going to be an IEM I plan to use quite often as well.

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #949 of 3,098
  Here is Flare Audio's response:

Kickstarter do not show any backer numbers in the excel spreadsheet that we are given as others have said in the comments. All backers are just shown as rewards categories so it's a lucky dip as to who gets theirs first. We are though focused on ensuring rewards are done in order of estimated delivery as shown on the rewards.

We are flat out here sending just under 200 R2's per day so it won't be long until everyone receives them. Over 1700 R2's were sold to over 1200 backers so our small team is working long hours to go as fast as we can.

Thanks for your patience, 
-Davies

...so what happened to the early backer offer of getting them first? 

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #950 of 3,098
  Haha,

If you can't hear it, is it there?

Of course, all the detail is always there with any IEM if you go upstream to the source but its the way the sound frequencies are tuned by the drivers, the earpiece and the tips to reach your ear that allows you to interpret them. 

I don't really understand what you are saying here.If you went for an eye test wearing your glasses and couldn't read the line on the chart, would you say to the optician "It's all good - It doesn't matter, I won't bother changing, I know the detail is there, its just these lenses aren't processing the light in a way that lets me see it "?

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:42 AM Post #951 of 3,098
  ...so what happened to the early backer offer of getting them first? 

The early backer offers had the heaviest discounts, with estimated delivery in June.  The other offers said July.

As Flare have said, "We are though focused on ensuring rewards are done in order of estimated delivery as shown on the rewards."

Does that help?

Jul 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #952 of 3,098

If you can't hear it, is it there?

Of course, all the detail is always there with any IEM if you go upstream to the source but its the way the sound frequencies are tuned by the drivers, the earpiece and the tips to reach your ear that allows you to interpret them. 

I don't really understand what you are saying here.If you went for an eye test wearing your glasses and couldn't read the line on the chart, would you say to the optician "It's all good - It doesn't matter, I won't bother changing, I know the detail is there, its just these lenses aren't processing the light in a way that lets me see it "?

What I mean is that the sound is there,
but its not imaged in a way that its easily interpreted or that it stands out.
Because the bass is slightly overpowering on the R2A,
so you need to turn up the volume to hear the minor details,
but that makes the bass and mids too loud to be comfortable.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #953 of 3,098
Just got the UPS delivery :)

First very early sound impressions - wow! This super cool and so small size piece can really sound that well balanced with such a detail?

Will try to post some brief comparison between my current reference - JH Audio Layla custom.

Jul 3, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #955 of 3,098
  I tried different eartips last night,
and found that it definitely had a difference,
but it wasn't night and day.
Spitfit gave it a better sense of air,
Sony hybrids worked well as well,
while isolation was better with comply's.

The R2A to be honest just isn't a super detail oriented IEM (due to suppressed highs).
However for what it presents,
it presents spectacularly well!
The bass and mids are truly something special.

The bass goes low,
with a very substantial thump that gives a strong sense of low end energy,
I think the balance-air technology thing that had must have helped this.
Personally I have seen other people try to compare this to a FAD heaven (which also has the BAM technology),
I compared it to a Heaven VII of a roommate's and the H7 seemed to have a similar bass quality,
but the H7 focused more on the mid-bass,
whereas the R2A has more subbass, thus it sounds more fun.
Overall the H7 is still better (because of the most amazing/colored mid that is slightly better than R2A's and more forward highs)
but not by a lot (in my opinion only).

I still think the R2A is great for the price I paid for!
Its size and unique signature makes it perfect for non-fatigue listening.
The lack of highs is definitely a plus in this regard.
I paired it to my Venturecraft Vantam,
and audio bliss was achieved with no problem at all!!

I think until the same person is able to listen to and compare both the R2A and R2PRO, it does not make sense to jump to such conclusions. After all, two people can have very different ideas of what a "detailed" IEM should sound like.
  Haha,

I still really enjoy using the R2A,
its strengths are strong enough for me to ignore some of its minor flaws.

I am a real sucker for detail, separation and soundstage,
there for I thought the EX1000 and Supra fitted my requirements slightly better.
The R2A did these well as well (especially the latter),
and it also added a fun factor to it,
so its going to be an IEM I plan to use quite often as well.

Could it be that you're used to IEMs with higher than average treble response such that the R2A appears less "detailed" to you?

Quote:
  What I mean is that the sound is there,
but its not imaged in a way that its easily interpreted or that it stands out.
Because the bass is slightly overpowering on the R2A,
so you need to turn up the volume to hear the minor details,
but that makes the bass and mids too loud to be comfortable.

In this last post by roguepp88, it suggests that the overall frequency response of the R2A is tuned such that the higher frequencies have less quantity relative to the lower frequencies. And if one equates overall perceived presence of higher frequencies to "details", such a presentation / tuning could appear "less detailed".

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #958 of 3,098

As a fellow FAD owner, I feel the same. If R2Pro is lacking behind my Heaven by a lot, then the reviewer overstated that particular review

According to ljokerl, he recommended Final Audio Fi-Ba-SS which is probably the most transparent iem and that is way overpriced but could that competed any iems.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #959 of 3,098
I'm wondering if anyone from the UK backers got theirs yet? I haven't received anything yet (not even the tracking number) while I see guys from every part of the world have started receiving their R2s.
It seems that we, who live in the UK, not only paid the same money with international deliveries but those deliveries were also prioritized over ours. I'm deeply disappointed.

I wholeheartedly hope these will live up to the expectations as if they sound anything less than EXCEPTIONAL, they will go straight back to the manufacturer within the 14-day time frame.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #960 of 3,098
  I'm wondering if anyone from the UK backers got theirs yet? I haven't received anything yet (not even the tracking number) while I see guys from every part of the world have started receiving their R2s.
It seems that we, who live in the UK, not only paid the same money with international deliveries but those deliveries were also prioritized over ours. I'm deeply disappointed.

I wholeheartedly hope these will live up to the expectations as if they sound anything less than EXCEPTIONAL, they will go straight back to the manufacturer within the 14-day time frame.

Yeah, as much as I want to enjoy them for what they are, I do feel that we're being put under an additional delay because we're local.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back