Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 2, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #931 of 3,098

Destrozer. ASG 1+ vs. R2Pro. Go. 

Okay. Here goes.

Bass
The R2Pro gives a tighter, leaner presentation to the bass compared to the 1Plus. It does give more rumble when needed as well. Do note the rumble doesn't mean loose bass. It's still tight as hell. One of the gripes I have with the 1Plus is that the bass fades off too fast, with very little decay. Overall, I do prefer the R2Pro in the way it presents bass. Authoritative and punchy.

Mids
This one is a mixbag. Both are mid forward to me, with the R2Pro being more forward. The 1Plus, admittedly now after R2Pro, does have a slight coloration to give it a more lush and rich vocal. The R2Pro is amazingly natural in the way it presents the mid frequencies. My music library consists of lots of genres, some without vocals. The R2Pro is often my go to if I were to listen to various albums. However, the 1Plus is still a guilty pleasure when it comes to vocals.

Trebles
This part is tricky. I normally use silicon tips, ala Ortofons and Spinfits. However, with the R2Pro, Comply tips are my preferred. I understand Davies had emphasised in the KS project that tips will not affect the sound, but I do hear a noticeable change in sound when playing around with tips on R2Pro. With Complys, the trebles are toned down, and that is what most hear, the laid-back trebles. With wide-bore silicons, however, the R2Pro does have some aggressive treble, sometimes on the verge of being sibilant. The 1Plus treble is actually my pick here. Well-extended with shimmering highs that are just right.

Staging
This is the part where I think sets the R2Pro apart from the 1Plus for me.

No, the size of the stage is not the star here. I find it relatively big but not out of the world big. It might be on par with some closed headphones. The good stuff is in the presentation. The R2Pro has a VERY natural staging with accurate imaging and instrument placement. The X,Y and Z axis in the stage is very well defined and it sounds as though you have a stage set up right on your head. Sound is very cohesive and it doesn't sound like its emitting from two points. I think this is where many of the reviewers find it hard to describe with words how it feels like. You just have to hear it to understand. 

Going back to the 1Plus after the R2Pro, I can clearly hear the difference in the two iems, with the 1Plus presentation becoming disappointingly two dimensional for me. The R2Pro really engulfs you in the music. That being said, it really is very picky with tips for me. Currently, I'm on de-cored medium Shure foamies. 

I hope this helps in some ways.

EDIT: I somehow forgot to add this in. The R2Pro resolves better than the 1Plus, retrieving more details. And, to add on, i stand by my initial impression on how the staging does congest a little on complicated tracks. I still adore them to bits though. 
etysmile.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #932 of 3,098
Jul 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #933 of 3,098
Glad to hear some more positive musings. Not so glad that still no tracking number with being #147 in the UK....

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #936 of 3,098
Jul 2, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #940 of 3,098
I don't know if UPS will be delivering tomorrow as here in the states some folks are off for our holiday weekend (including me). UPS states they won't be delivering on Saturday but nothing about tomorrow so fingers crossed. I received my tracking number on Tuesday but no movement until late last night and somehow they should be here tomorrow! These are the R2A. Looking forward to a long weekend with them.

Ups should be delivering tomorrow. Just another day for us. There may be some weird exceptions somewhere, but not at our depot.

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #942 of 3,098
Maybe they are dispatching in alphabetical order. Or using some massively complicated quantum algorithm. Or picking names from a hat.

Here is Flare Audio's response:

Kickstarter do not show any backer numbers in the excel spreadsheet that we are given as others have said in the comments. All backers are just shown as rewards categories so it's a lucky dip as to who gets theirs first. We are though focused on ensuring rewards are done in order of estimated delivery as shown on the rewards.

We are flat out here sending just under 200 R2's per day so it won't be long until everyone receives them. Over 1700 R2's were sold to over 1200 backers so our small team is working long hours to go as fast as we can.

Thanks for your patience, 
-Davies

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #943 of 3,098
  Heads up for those of you in Ontario Canada - $33.80 in fees at the door (based on 89 bpounds)

Declared amount in CAD x .13 + brokerage fee ($10+tax= $11.30) = Total Fee.
Based on current conversion...$489.48..roughly $74.93 in fees...OHHHH CA-NA-DAAAAAA
deadhorse.gif

Yeah no, I would not accept that. This such bs, they should have gone with USPS, UPS is NOTORIOUS for adding fees. UPS = scumbags from my experience.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #945 of 3,098
I tried different eartips last night,
and found that it definitely had a difference,
but it wasn't night and day.
Spitfit gave it a better sense of air,
Sony hybrids worked well as well,
while isolation was better with comply's.

The R2A to be honest just isn't a super detail oriented IEM (due to suppressed highs).
However for what it presents,
it presents spectacularly well!
The bass and mids are truly something special.

The bass goes low,
with a very substantial thump that gives a strong sense of low end energy,
I think the balance-air technology thing that had must have helped this.
Personally I have seen other people try to compare this to a FAD heaven (which also has the BAM technology),
I compared it to a Heaven VII of a roommate's and the H7 seemed to have a similar bass quality,
but the H7 focused more on the mid-bass,
whereas the R2A has more subbass, thus it sounds more fun.
Overall the H7 is still better (because of the most amazing/colored mid that is slightly better than R2A's and more forward highs)
but not by a lot (in my opinion only).

I still think the R2A is great for the price I paid for!
Its size and unique signature makes it perfect for non-fatigue listening.
The lack of highs is definitely a plus in this regard.
I paired it to my Venturecraft Vantam,
and audio bliss was achieved with no problem at all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back