Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 1, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #886 of 3,098
They definitely do well in the ataging department, but i dont find them to have such immense staging yhat i have never heard the likes of before. I have definitely heard larger.

Compared to the ditas, i think they have a similar stage size, with good imaging precision. However, as someone previously mentioned, the stage seems to get congested with very complicated tracks, it still resolves well and the overall size is large, its just that the voices and instruments somehow come together.

Dumb question, but are you sure you're getting the best fit? One of the reviews mentioned that it took them a while to get the optimal position even with comply then it just clicked. Not questioning your experience at all, just wondering if you played around with tips and positioning etc :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #887 of 3,098
  Last Location:
Stansted, United Kingdom, Tuesday, 06/30/2015

Does ship from the UK - and contrary to what I thought - is high priority shipping (approx. 3 days Canada ( Wonder if Canada Day will effect this)).

They may ship from the UK eventually but that doesn`t mean manufactured.

Sceptical head on tonight.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #888 of 3,098
Tell you what WCDchee you certainly are not raving about these.

Edit: You picked yours up in London but you sell gear in dollars. Was that a coincidence meeting on holiday? Where are you based?

Yup i was there on a month long trip, during which i got to meet up with naomi from flare to try all three iems, and collect some of the IEMs which i got through a huge mass order with some of the other guys back home.

Jul 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #889 of 3,098
Dumb question, but are you sure you're getting the best fit? One of the reviews mentioned that it took them a while to get the optimal position even with comply then it just clicked. Not questioning your experience at all, just wondering if you played around with tips and positioning etc :)

Yup i definitely did, between my friend (who has had them for almost a month now) and myself, we have tried almost every possible tip you can get on the flares along with some minor tweaks with some tips :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #890 of 3,098
Yup i definitely did, between my friend (who has had them for almost a month now) and myself, we have tried almost every possible tip you can get on the flares along with some minor tweaks with some tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah I see. Would love to read your full impressions on the line up compared to your own gear. I see from your DP that you have the DITA as well. How does the Pro compare to the DITA? IIRC Dita is considered to be TOTL right?

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #891 of 3,098
Just got my pair of R2A!
Listening to it as it burns in.

Its definitely a good IEM,
amazing resolution, great bass, very good soundstage, nice and accurate mid-range.

I do have a few gripes though,
it has a very heavy Y reliever that seems unnecessary,
and the cable doesn't give me a lot of confidence.
There is also average mircophonics,
which the heavy Y-part makes worst when walking around.

The highs are also a bit more laid back than my expectation,
its not bad by any means,
as there is no harshness at all,
but I think it could be a better if the highs were a bit further forward,
maybe the R2Pro would fix this.

Overall a very good IEM,
I wouldn't rank it above my Sony EX1000 or my Earwerkz Supra,
but then again those are both more expensive than the KS price I paid for the R2A.
So the R2A is still amazing for the price I paid!
But its definitely better than my RHA T10i and Westone 3.
Hopefully it will get even better as it burns in!!

Endnote: did some reviewers exaggerate about the R2A? I dunno.... hmmmm

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #892 of 3,098
Hi @roguepp88 thanks for the early review, 

could you say more about comparison with the Earwerkz Supra? Is your Supra universal?

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM Post #893 of 3,098
  Hi @roguepp88 thanks for the early review, 

could you say more about comparison with the Earwerkz Supra? Is your Supra universal?

Yes, my Supra is universal.
The supra is more immersive,
it doesn't have the soundstage of the R2A,
however the Supra has significantly better detail retrieval,
and gives a very balanced rendition of both the lows and the highs.
Thus it being amazing for most types of music.
I love it for modern music.

The R2A has more bass than the Supra,
which makes it much more fun,
however because the R2A's highs are not as well done as the Supra's,
it gives a sense that you are standing closer to the drums than the other instruments.
The Supra gives a sense of standing in the middle/centre front roll of the crowd of a concert,
while the R2A makes it feels like you are standing closer to the subwoofer than other speakers.
Its only a minor impression it gave me,
I love it for my movie OSTs and classical music (R2A is very "fun" to listen to for sure).
But it stands behind my Sony EX-1000 (more upfront highs (but prone to some sibilance), a even better soundstage and separation) for those music,
which is my go to IEM for classical for sure.
(Given the EX-1000 lack of isolation, I guess the R2A can be my on-the-go IEM for these music!)

Overall, it is an awesome IEM for the price from KS!
But there are other options that compare similarly to it at its MRSP.
My opinions may change over time,
after all I have only listened to it for 2 hours,
and a better A/B-ing environment than my office could alter my feelings as well! 

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #894 of 3,098
Got mine yesterday and just started to listen to them. First impressions: amazing soundstage and resolution. Bass is the best I've heard in an IEM.
One major flaw design wise though. Why the heavy Y splitter? It's pretty annoying especially when you are on the move and it increases microphonics significantly.
This is the most expensive IEM in my collection so I can't compare them with otherwise similar priced ones.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:23 AM Post #895 of 3,098
Got mine yesterday and just started to listen to them. First impressions: amazing soundstage and resolution. Bass is the best I've heard in an IEM.
One major flaw design wise though. Why the heavy Y splitter? It's pretty annoying especially when you are on the move and it increases microphonics significantly.
This is the most expensive IEM in my collection so I can't compare them with otherwise similar priced ones.

Is it user removable?

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #896 of 3,098
The supra is more immersive,
it doesn't have the soundstage of the R2A,
however the Supra has significantly better detail retrieval,
and gives a very balanced rendition of both the lows and the highs.
Thus it being amazing for most types of music.
I love it for modern music.

The R2A has more bass than the Supra,
which makes it much more fun,
however because the R2A's highs are not as well done as the Supra's,
it gives a sense that you are standing closer to the drums than the other instruments.
The Supra gives a sense of standing in the middle/centre front roll of the crowd of a concert,
while the R2A makes it feels like you are standing closer to the subwoofer than other speakers.
Its only a minor impression it gave me,
I love it for my movie OSTs and classical music (R2A is very "fun" to listen to for sure).
But it stands behind my Sony EX-1000 (more upfront highs (but prone to some sibilance), a even better soundstage and separation) for those music,
which is my go to IEM for classical for sure.
(Given the EX-1000 lack of isolation, I guess the R2A can be my on-the-go IEM for these music!)

Overall, it is an awesome IEM for the price from KS!
But there are other options that compare similarly to it at its MRSP.
My opinions may change over time,
after all I have only listened to it for 2 hours,
and a better A/B-ing environment than my office could alter my feelings as well! 

With regards to detail retrieval, do try other tip options. That can really really change.

I have also made a feedback to flare refarding the heavy y splitter, hopefully theynwill change it to aluminium or something in future runs

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #898 of 3,098
Thanks for this, very helpful brief comparison. I have the custom supra and my gf has the universal so this gives me a better picture of the R2s. The Supras do have one of the best treble tunings I've heard in any iem for my preferences. Also the universal has great subbass with a pretty linear bass response. How is the R2A subbass? Does it reach low?

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #899 of 3,098

Thanks for the very useful impressions vs the Supra. Man, I really hope those impressions are based off comply tips or something and that comply absorbs 90% of the detail, cause that is NOT what I wanted to hear LOL. Supra has better highs and is significantly more detailed? R2A has even more bass? Yikes. At this point the R2Pro would have to be far, far better than the R2A to keep my interest. The comment in regard to highs being laidback seems to lend some credence to the theory that these share the same knowles microdriver that's utized in the Rockets since those also had a downsloping treble. I do think the Rockets have good treble timbre, but I prefer some more energy up high. Then again, I don't think I ever felt like the Rockets treble was actually "lacking" compared to the Supras. Must be a consequence of tuning for more bass in the R2A vs the Rockets' more linear approach. We'll see in due time. In the mean time, perhaps try tip rolling to see if that changes the presentation. Cause man, I was promised kilobuck phone beating capabilities dammit.

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #900 of 3,098
With regards to detail retrieval, do try other tip options. That can really really change.

I have also made a feedback to flare refarding the heavy y splitter, hopefully theynwill change it to aluminium or something in future runs

Well one has a dynamic driver and the other has BA Drivers so the Dynamic IEM should have more bass hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back