Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
May 30, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #271 of 3,098
Just plumped for the R2A's (yeah, what a cheapskate!).

Anyway, apart from being excited to receive them and compare against my current stock, does anyone have a view on how they compare to the Ety ER4-P's? These are by far the best isolating iem's I own, and am curious as to how they compare.

TIA

May 30, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #273 of 3,098
When I receive my pair, I'll be sure to compare them with the RHA MA750's, RHA t10i's, and (from memory) Dunu DN1K's.

Curious to see how these will compare to my T10's in respect to the gym, as they are so light.

May 30, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #274 of 3,098
Are you taking the piss? Asking them to make a wood version?

Sheesh, this place.

I've requested a version made of mature cheddar in case I feel peckish.

I don't think a woody version is such a bad idea so long as it has chrome embellishments, luxurious velour upholstery and is fully compatible with my semi-portable 8-Track cartridge player and combo hernia truss. It's the only way to listen to Bing Crosby.

May 30, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #275 of 3,098
When I receive my pair, I'll be sure to compare them with the RHA MA750's, RHA t10i's, and (from memory) Dunu DN1K's.

Curious to see how these will compare to my T10's in respect to the gym, as they are so light.

I'll be comparing my R2A's to the Dunu DN-2000J's, which I've committed to buying from Massdrop (although the R2Pro's would probably be a fairer fight.) Both earphones are said to be near Summit-Fi levels relative to other universal IEMs, so this will be interesting...

May 30, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #276 of 3,098

I'll be comparing my R2A's to the Dunu DN-2000J's, which I've committed to buying from Massdrop (although the R2Pro's would probably be a fairer fight.) Both earphones are said to be near Summit-Fi levels relative to other universal IEMs, so this will be interesting...

Waiting for impressions literally the next thing I was thinking of purchasing after my slight infatuation with the Dunu 2000's.

May 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #277 of 3,098
Just plumped for the R2A's (yeah, what a cheapskate!).

Anyway, apart from being excited to receive them and compare against my current stock, does anyone have a view on how they compare to the Ety ER4-P's? These are by far the best isolating iem's I own, and am curious as to how they compare.

TIA

________

The R2Pros blow them out of the water. They have much better sound stage and separation. So much more and better bass it's not funny. Seriously. I guess since I've listened to the ety's for so long, I would almost categorize them as bass head IEM's. But no one else seems to think so. So I can't imagine how much bass that takes lol. They also have none of the almost harshness that is so fatiguing after a while with the ER4P's. I've been using my ER4's for about 3 years and can't imagine them ever going back in my ears. It has also taken me a bit to get used to how smooth the highs are in these. There is still great clarity, but it's just so natural, compared to their ety's it almost seems unnatural, if that makes sense. How can they have such clarity and separation but sound so smooth? That's what I keep asking myself.

Admittedly I've had some seal problems with my Ety's. The tri flange tips and me just don't work. Either I pull them out a bit and have some bass but lose some highs or push them in for further clarity and lose some bass. Their glider tips do okay. But are snug. And their foam ones are probably the best for me. Aside from comply tips. However I don't think fitment was bad enough to cause them to be as far from the R2Pros as they are. They're almost like polar opposites.

May 30, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #278 of 3,098
Oh and as far as isolation goes. They are as good or better than the ety's. Which is hard for me to believe too. Although back to my fitting issues. With these I get better isolation with the medium tips. But after a couple of hours they get a little snug feeling. Not bad. But not disappear in your ear comfortable. The smalls give me disappear comfort levels but I have to be a little more careful with depth to get the same isolation as the mediums.

Either size I never feel like I need to take a break and take them out. Something else comes up, like the mrs, and I pull one out to talk. They ety's had to come out on occasion so my ears could breath.

May 30, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #279 of 3,098
It has probably been mentioned before about subjective opinion and somatics but when I get my new R2 Flares (yes my kit, ears and describing that experience will differ from others.
Is there a genre gold standard that Headfiers use as a Base reference?. Something that we all have access too, such as a Jazz, classical, rock and Dance flac.My x cans on sound flat on classic flac my new Y cans have more sound stage ect.. My love of gaming has more meaning if we all play the same game even though we subjectively use different kit and experience it as individual's.
Just late night musings but opinions on an individual's choices and standard of music makes less sense without a starting point. What do you think?
Nn and roll on Flare shipping day.
Dave

May 30, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #280 of 3,098

Roll on June!

The sound the DUNU's gave was probably the best I've heard - minus somewhat piercing treble (I think I'm overly sensitive). What killed it for me was the actual housings and cable themselves, the RHA's had customizable, comparable sound, with so much better build quality and comfort.

I do however, miss the DN1K, and I'm sure you'll enjoy the 2KJ's, which, as far as am aware, are probably the best universal hybrids you can get for a reasoble price (for some, not me <\) at a reasonable price to performance ratio, and can probably be considered endgame for their signature. Looking forward to your comparisons!

May 31, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #281 of 3,098
I've requested a version made of mature cheddar in case I feel peckish.

I don't think a woody version is such a bad idea so long as it has chrome embellishments, luxurious velour upholstery and is fully compatible with my semi-portable 8-Track cartridge player and combo hernia truss. It's the only way to listen to Bing Crosby.

Good call. I have asked them to make mine from Jura whisky barrels, so I can suck on them when I am listening to some cool jazz late at night. I also requested the trim be ermine, to match my Hugh Heffner smoking jacket.

May 31, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #283 of 3,098
Oh and as far as isolation goes. They are as good or better than the ety's. Which is hard for me to believe too. Although back to my fitting issues. With these I get better isolation with the medium tips. But after a couple of hours they get a little snug feeling. Not bad. But not disappear in your ear comfortable. The smalls give me disappear comfort levels but I have to be a little more careful with depth to get the same isolation as the mediums.

Either size I never feel like I need to take a break and take them out. Something else comes up, like the mrs, and I pull one out to talk. They ety's had to come out on occasion so my ears could breath.

Wow. I'll look forward to that comparison.

I find my ety's have a remarkable seal (using the long comply tips) - can't hear hardly any external sound. As you say, if someone speaks to me, I have to take the tip out completely, which is more annoying than anything else as they are a faff to get back in - but that's the prixe you pay for great sound I guess.

...well until the R2A's arrive :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back