Flare Audio R2PRO Kickstarter campaign
Jul 24, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #1,576 of 3,098

So what do you print on? Standard printer paper or high-end card stock?
tongue.gif

cool.gif
Only the best for my puppies.

Did you catch the Zappa reference?

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #1,578 of 3,098

Nope, right over my head on that one. What's the reference? Is it to Frank Zappa or something else? Cuz if Frank Zappa, then that guy was dead before I even started breathing haha.

smily_headphones1.gif
Frank. Get the Album off You Tube--- "Overnite Sensation" You'll love it.

Dweezil will NEVER be his Dad.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Jul 25, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #1,579 of 3,098
Guys, are there any silicone tips that have the same sonic character as the Complys?
The Complys were brilliant on the R2PROs, removing ALL SHRILL and gave the utmost natural sound.

But I hate using them.
Troublesome to keep squeezing them and waiting for them to fill my ear canals etc, not to mention them having a short lifespan.

So any advice?

Tried Spinfits but not good enough, highs remain shrill.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #1,580 of 3,098
  Guys, are there any silicone tips that have the same sonic character as the Complys?
The Complys were brilliant on the R2PROs, removing ALL SHRILL and gave the utmost natural sound.

But I hate using them.
Troublesome to keep squeezing them and waiting for them to fill my ear canals etc, not to mention them having a short lifespan.

So any advice?

Shure Olives? but need to remove the core to use with R2.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:01 PM Post #1,581 of 3,098

cool.gif
Listened to My R2A again for 2 hours last night and have concluded that they simply are not for me Sonically. They are great earphones just not for my untrained ears.

I have them listed in the for Sale section with a longer description asking for the Kickstarter Price of $122 to recoup my investment. They are NO LONGER available at this price. They are pretty much Burned in completely and I will also enclose a Burn-in log copy.

P.M. me here or in the Classified section.

Thanx, TWIN

Ouch,

You had 2 "end game" iems but 1 is now for sale.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:25 PM Post #1,582 of 3,098
  Shure Olives? but need to remove the core to use with R2.

:frowning2:

Olives are kinda like COmplys, no?

I'm looking for fuss-free silicones.
I tried the Sony hybrids but no help.

At least nothing compared to the Complys.

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,583 of 3,098
  :frowning2:

Olives are kinda like COmplys, no?

I'm looking for fuss-free silicones.
I tried the Sony hybrids but no help.

At least nothing compared to the Complys.

They are like Comply tips as in they are foam but I never compressed Olives prior to insertion. Olives are much denser. 

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,584 of 3,098

I got that same message in my tracking info. Basically, what was reported by Flare (they inquired directly with UPS) is that any package delivered in the US with a value over $200.49 would get charged the brokerage fees. Since I ordered the R2Pro I had to pay the fee, which was around $22. I believe this was mentioned by them in the comments section on Kickstarter.

I was able to pay by credit card, but only over the phone. I missed the initial delivery, and when I called them, they said I could pay by phone. So the next day when it was delivered, I just had to sign for it. I think I remember them saying that you can't pay via credit card in person, but I'm really not sure about that.

HTH!

Is unusual to be allowed to pay in person on the doorstep but that's in the UK. In the UK normally a parcel won't be released for delivery until payment is made in advance. (Actually, that's not true... once I got a delivery from FeDex and then an invoice a week later which I err kind of forgot to pay and was never chased up!) .

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #1,585 of 3,098

But I hate using them.

So any advice?

I know what you mean but I've always done this with other iems and used foam tips - only way to get that seal and comfort. Only thing with the Flares is that they respond more to being pushed in deep to the ear and only way to get them to stay there is with extra squeezing and extra holding in place, more so than normal. Still, that's only to get the best fit and only can't do that with others because other iems are too big.

If it becomes a chore, simply pretend that they won't go so deep and treat them like other iems. You could say the Flares are a victim of being so small because the size means you CAN get a better sound where the iem disappears (the same way a good hifi speaker disappears into the sound) whereas others don't give you that extra option....

Jul 25, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,586 of 3,098

cool.gif
Listened to My R2A again for 2 hours last night and have concluded that they simply are not for me Sonically. They are great earphones just not for my untrained ears.

I have them listed in the for Sale section with a longer description asking for the Kickstarter Price of $122 to recoup my investment. They are NO LONGER available at this price. They are pretty much Burned in completely and I will also enclose a Burn-in log copy.

P.M. me here or in the Classified section.

Thanx, TWIN

Interesting how people's taste and hearing differ. For me the R2s aren't about taste at all, they simply just sound so real and natural that anything varying from this is about taste and added flavouring - I guess in the same way some people don't eat vegetables without salt or fruits or tea without sugar . That's with the Pros though - still not been doing R2A/Pro comparisons due to needing another set of small Complys. (Going to have to go against my priciples and buy online rather than a physical store or I'll never find time to get any).

I'm a black coffee,  no sugar no milk  kind of person and same with sound as best as I can achieve (it can be hard to judge..).

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #1,587 of 3,098
If they expect us to get a deep fit and use Complys then they should have also included a pair of smalls. The earphones are so tiny, the Comply tips are all that stops me from getting a deeper fit with them.

Jul 25, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,588 of 3,098

Interesting how people's taste and hearing differ. For me the R2s aren't about taste at all, they simply just sound so real and natural that anything varying from this is about taste and added flavouring - I guess in the same way some people don't eat vegetables without salt or fruits or tea without sugar . That's with the Pros though - still not been doing R2A/Pro comparisons due to needing another set of small Complys. (Going to have to go against my priciples and buy online rather than a physical store or I'll never find time to get any).

I'm a black coffee,  no sugar no milk  kind of person and same with sound as best as I can achieve (it can be hard to judge..).

smily_headphones1.gif
Nat, I never claimed to have Audiophile Hearing. In Fact @ 60+ and 40 of those spent playing in Bands, I'm lucky I have any left at all. I rely on the Recording Engineer to EQ the Music as they see fit, My Source to NOT add any EQ to this at all, and My Earphones/ Headphones to add "Flavor". The R2As are fine earphones but just TOO FLAT for My simple Tastes. I did NOT appreciate the Havi B3 Pro 1s either for basically the same reason. I also have an Aversion to hard-to-drive earphones as well.

To put it in simpler terms, I need the Emotion conveyed in music. Everyone has certain songs that have an emotional significance to them. I have several including "Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Have You ever been to Electric Ladyland". Not to Date myself but one of these for me is by the Hollies, "Air that I Breathe".  I have a particularly good copy of this off Vinyl to 320 kbps. Comparing My 2 latest Aquisitions, (and I hate making this comparison but it's necessary),  The Trinity Delta V.S. the Flare R2A, using just this track, The Delta made me a little teary-eyed and put a lump in my throat, whereas the R2A were incapable of the same effect.

I hope you understand.

No slight on the R2A, they are indeed GREAT Earphones, just not EQ'd for my untrained ears.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #1,589 of 3,098

smily_headphones1.gif
Nat, I never claimed to have Audiophile Hearing. In Fact @ 60+ and 40 of those spent playing in Bands, I'm lucky I have any left at all. I rely on the Recording Engineer to EQ the Music as they see fit, My Source to NOT add any EQ to this at all, and My Earphones/ Headphones to add "Flavor". The R2As are fine earphones but just TOO FLAT for My simple Tastes. I did NOT appreciate the Havi B3 Pro 1s either for basically the same reason. I also have an Aversion to hard-to-drive earphones as well.

To put it in simpler terms, I need the Emotion conveyed in music. Everyone has certain songs that have an emotional significance to them. I have several including "Whiter Shade of Pale" and "Have You ever been to Electric Ladyland". Not to Date myself but one of these for me is by the Hollies, "Air that I Breathe".  I have a particularly good copy of this off Vinyl to 320 kbps. Comparing My 2 latest Aquisitions, (and I hate making this comparison but it's necessary),  The Trinity Delta V.S. the Flare R2A, using just this track, The Delta made me a little teary-eyed and put a lump in my throat, whereas the R2A were incapable of the same effect.

I hope you understand.

No slight on the R2A, they are indeed GREAT Earphones, just not EQ'd for my untrained ears.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

I too would leave the EQing to the engineer in the hope that they will bring all the important points of the music to the fore and that's why I would always go for a flat, neutral earphone so as not to disturb that. I've never understood how emotion can be conveyed by equipment though. All emotion is created in each individuals brain - like fear is - and depends entirely on your brian's training from past experience. So the only thing audio equipment can do is push a certain part of the sound, most often by making some frequencies more prominent, within which your own person emotional triggers are found e.g the vocal frequencey range if one particularly loves lyrics and the detail of inflection in the voice singing those lyrics.

As I say, it is fascinating how people's real hearing responses vary between one another and so a flat response from source to earphone is not necessarily flat after it's gone through their ears. Often it helps to be able to adjust EQ to account for an individual's hearing response. Yet none of us ever recognise this when discussing comparing equipment or even recognise this need when pouring scourn on the use of EQ!  In some ways, actual frequency response of gear should be less of a concern than speed, detail etc as the EQ can be tweeked whilst the detail, speed etc is set in stone by the design.

To the R2s, I guess the response of the R2s match my hearing quite well whilst the speed and detail are fantastic. Great with the Deltas that you can change the EQ by subtractive passive filters to suit your own hearing response. It's really nothing to do with anyone having "untrained ears" - don't put yourself down. Hardly anyone here has trained ears, other than their own experience of listening to music. No matter how much they think about and analyse what they hear, it doesn't make them particularly better at listening than the next person.

Jul 25, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,590 of 3,098
If they expect us to get a deep fit and use Complys then they should have also included a pair of smalls. The earphones are so tiny, the Comply tips are all that stops me from getting a deeper fit with them.

They speak of a deep fit or something similar.. but yes, would be better then to provide small tips.

Perhaps they didn't mean that deep other than more so than just sitting in your ears like earbuds - depends on who they think they're communicating with when saying such things, the average person on the street (who probably hasn't tried a proper iem) or an experienced head-fier.

I do though find it more beneficial and comfortable to push them in as deep as I can. Could just be that it improves isolation and so lowers the external noise floor for more detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back