Flare Audio R1 Headphones
May 13, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #16 of 38
Well, they didn't say when the R2PRO was coming my way, just that it was..

And nah, I didn't ask for a review unit for the R1MK2, ya know, since I only kinda wish that I could see what the differences are.. Thanks for letting me know it's purely the comfort aspect of the headphone. That truly did need some work. I wouldn't wanna do another review though, if that is really all they changed. I wanted to like the R1, and at times I did after a period of adjustment, but most of the time I couldn't tell if it was the best or worst headphone I had ever heard. It confused my ears/brain. Lol

For how long did you use the R1's? Multiple users have stated they really need some (brain) burn in time.

For now I'm backing the R2PRO's, but I would be very interested in a short review of the R1's.

Would be nice if they'd send you some review units.

May 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #17 of 38
I had the R1 for about 2 months. They did require a bit of brain burn in (see the comment I made about liking it after a period of adjustment in the comment I made before this one?), but that adjustment was hard to get to because of how uncomfortable the R1 was, and even then there was still something a bit... off... to my ears. I can't quite place what it was, but it was mostly in the mids for me, and it sounded EXTREMELY veiled, but still had clarity to it. It was a confusing sound, and hard to explain if you haven't listened to them yourself.

I could probably request another review unit easily enough for the MK2, but I'm not terribly motivated/excited for it, so I might end up procrastinating and taking longer than I should to get the review done and the unit back in their hands. Haha

May 14, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #19 of 38
Can't wait to hear what you think of them. Especially if you can compare the models. I'm signed up for the R2Pro's, but if the others are similar enough, they would be better in my wallet.

May 14, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #20 of 38
I signed up for a similar model, the R2A. The difference is the Pro is titanium body and the A is aluminium. It's rather hard to believe that in such a tiny form there could be any difference in sound because of the different properties of the metals. Titanium vs. Aluminium vs Steel vs Carbon Fibre in bicyle frames: yes, all distinctive and characteristically identifiable in use. A 12mm x 7mm milled enclosure for a 5mm diameter audio driver? No chance. There just can't be any discernible difference in how the sound from a 5mm driver is reflected from a block of steel/metal/aluminium/titanium/gold/kryptonite/touchstone.

Probably the titanium ones look nicer and the raw titanium finish will never look tired. Even anodised aluminium looks like crap eventually.

I hope to be able to compare with my Sennheiser Momentums (1st gen circumaural), Samsung dual driver IEMs, Shure SE215, Xiaomi Piston 3, maybe some others too. I hope I will be able to form an opinion of this mid/high price IEM compared to various closed back/isolating IEMs and headphones ranging in price from very cheap to similar price to significantly more expensive (in UK).

Anyway I will keep this thread updated with any news.

May 15, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #21 of 38
Yeah I can't see how the metal would make much difference. I had originally planned on getting the stainless ones. For durability reasons more than anything. But since I was already "upgrading", decided to go all the way and get the titanium ones. But if someone hears them all, and they're similar like I expect, I may drop back down to the SS version.

May 25, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #25 of 38
Welcome to the club
wink.gif

Flare Audio guarantees delivery at Kickstarter price regardless of funding, but they'll surpass it before you know it...balls rolling now....

That's great to know, makes it a win either way for those of us that backed!

If it lives up to half the hype in the reviews it'll be a decent buy at ~120USD... and if it fully lives up to the hype it'll be a steal.

May 25, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #27 of 38
.....But if someone hears them all, and they're similar like I expect, I may drop back down to the SS version.

> They are definitely not similar <
http://headfonics.com/2015/05/the-r2a-and-r2pro-iems-by-flare-audio/

This is the other Flare Audio thread

Sounds to me like they're very similar. The A model has a little more height and slightly more bass, while the Pro is a little wider with truer bass. But they're close enough the reviewer said the A is the best deal. And only those needing the utmost detail would need the Pro model. So after that I've upped my pledge to the Pro/A combo. Depends on what I hear. I might even sell the pro's of they're as close as I think they might be. But will probably keep both for different reasons.

Kind of like my etymotics. My er4p's sound really close to my HF3's. IMO they're very similar. So close I actually recommend HF's to most people that ask me. Are the ER4's more detailed? Yes. Is it worth the $200? Not IMO. Especially since the hf3's have a little more bass and less fatiguing highs.

I'm betting these are the same way. They both sound fantastic. And the pro's get you that extra bit of detail that, for some, is totally worth the extra $$. But for 90% of normal people (not head-fiers), the basic model is plenty good. Especially for 1/3 the price.

Nov 10, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #29 of 38
Maybe I got a bad pair for review but I had so many problems with the Flare Audio R1 headphones. Overlooking my concerns over "dual side vortex" and "space" technology, the first thing to note would be the extreme discomfort of the headphones.

Unfortunately whilst trying to review them I couldn't give any serious listening time due to the headaches I was getting from the clamping force.

Also the claims made in regards to the headphones being able to improve hearing by listening at loud volumes (claim made during a presentation/lecture) can't possibly be accurate.

The sound signature was off, I'm going off memory but they simply did not sound right.

I would like to give them another listen if and when they fix the comfort of the headphones and heavily reducing the clamping force.

Apr 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #30 of 38
Interesting review of a flare audio product (not the r2pro)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/flare-audio-r1-headphones

Also this :)

https://www.reddit.com/comments/4d4mki

Users who are viewing this thread

Back