Flare Audio – FLARES® – (R2.x successor) KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN
Aug 26, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #17 of 544
  Yes, we'd like to know more about the changes to the tuning or sound profile. Knowing what I liked and didn't like about the R2A sound, the changes could be towards what I want or away from what I want.

+1.

Anyway, i think that no one except the Flare people has had enough time with the new models to explain all the subtle and evident changes. However, primary impressions would be very well received....

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #21 of 544
  Good news with the reinforced cable. So by "fixed driver concept" they mean that the driver is still user replaceable right?

By "fixed driver concept" I would assume that the driver was fixed, stationary, non-removeable.

Can't see the opposite meaning, unless you're thinking of "fixed" as in you can 'fix it'?

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #22 of 544
I have heard these long ago at the Prestige Show but I had no comparison and was very brief and because of that I picked a random song from my ipod which turned out not to be a good test track anyway.

Appeared to be more detailed so I'm hoping that the treble isn't too pronounced or anything compared to the R2? Can anyone who listened to them at Canjam comment on that? The current R2Pro's top end is very good for me, never fatiguing yet still detailed and realistic. 

P.S. the Kickstarter pricing gray'd out in the OP is wrong from memory. The R2As were available for £75, the R2 Pros £200. I got my R2A + R2Pro package for £250 hence I remember the £25 saving over their separate pricing. The £119 MAY have been when they added some more to be available right at the end of the kickstarter project.

Pricing for the new models I think is intended to blow the competition out of the water... so I'd expect it to be similar to last time but a much better product. I remember also being told that those who love packaging should expect some good things too..

Aug 27, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #24 of 544

By "fixed driver concept" I would assume that the driver was fixed, stationary, non-removeable.

Can't see the opposite meaning, unless you're thinking of "fixed" as in you can 'fix it'?

Well it's in the list of "what's good/kept" instead of "what's new" so I assume that it's the same as the old R2s. Not sure what the guys at Flare call the concept.

Good question. I would imagine it could still be replaceable. But being as cable breakage is the main reason for replacement, it could be a moot point

Well, driver damage is still a possibility for any earphone I imagine, and it's nice to have the option to buy the spare part and fix it yourself easily.

Aug 28, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #26 of 544
Well it's in the list of "what's good/kept" instead of "what's new" so I assume that it's the same as the old R2s. Not sure what the guys at Flare call the concept.

Oh yes, fair point! It is confusingly expressed..

@Jobbing, what did you mean by 'fixed driver concept'?

Could be a mistake and should be 'single driver concept'? That is more of a concept worth mentioning and indeed is the same concept as before..

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #29 of 544
All I really wanted was a balanced driver/cable for my PonoPlayer. Obviously the R2Pro aren't getting it. Not sure I will invest in a similar Flares to get it. Don't really need two IEMs with similar sound. Will have to think hard on this. Other IEMs have caught my interest now.

Aug 29, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #30 of 544
All I really wanted was a balanced driver/cable for my PonoPlayer. Obviously the R2Pro aren't getting it. Not sure I will invest in a similar Flares to get it. Don't really need two IEMs with similar sound. Will have to think hard on this. Other IEMs have caught my interest now.

You and I are in the same boat as fans of the Pono Player. What provided me with a glimmer of hope was the mention that the pro version of the new IEM will have a modular splitter. I imagine this will be something akin to the modular splitter system on the Cardas IEM. So, Pono users rejoice! At long last we can enjoy the Flare sound without having to reengineer the cable!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back