Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robot
Oct 14, 2005 at 11:20 AM Post #31 of 54
I got into the FLips (?) after seeing them on Later (BBC) playing stuff from Soft Bulletin. I'd love to get hold of a recording of that session. I think they did Race for the Prize with theremin and a nice big gong.

I like Yoshimi, but have only heard the CD.

I also have Clouds Taste Metallic and Transmissions from the Satellite Heart. Both full of quirky little songs. I understand some of their other stuff is more avante-garde, but haven't heard it.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #32 of 54
When I started getting into the Flaming Lips I bought "Yoshimi" and "The Soft Bulletin" at the same time. Both are strong albums, but "The Soft Bulletin" still ranks as the Lips' masterpiece.

The Yoshimi DVD-A is excellent, the bonus tracks, "Up Above The Daily Hum" in particular, is worth the price of the disc.

The Soft Bulletin DVD-A is completed. No official release date yet, but it's expected to arrive sometime in November.

Oct 14, 2005 at 8:45 PM Post #33 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bleeding Spark
The Soft Bulletin DVD-A is completed. No official release date yet, but it's expected to arrive sometime in November.

Ah, this should be something to check out. I will be curious to see how they reinvent Soft Bulletin in 5.1 and what extras they put on the disc. They've been working on this for a long time now, at least according to their website...

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #35 of 54
I'd say without a doubt, Zaireeka is wayne's masterpiece. But of the "more accessible" albums, I'd rank them 1) In a Priest Driven Ambulance 2) Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 3) Soft Bulletin 4) Clouds Taste Metallic

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk
I'd say without a doubt, Zaireeka is wayne's masterpiece. But of the "more accessible" albums, I'd rank them 1) In a Priest Driven Ambulance 2) Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots 3) Soft Bulletin 4) Clouds Taste Metallic

Interesting. If i really enjoyed the "feel" of Pink Robot, would you recommend Ambulance?

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #37 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
Interesting. If i really enjoyed the "feel" of Pink Robot, would you recommend Ambulance?

I can say that aside from emotional content, they aren't that similar...

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #38 of 54
Quote:

I can say that aside from emotional content, they aren't that similar...

what is that supposed to mean? emotional content was what drew me to Flaming Lips the most. well and the obvious "quirkiness" factor.

FWIW that's why i didn't like Soft Bulletin, because the vocals were lifeless and poppy compared to Pink Robot

Oct 14, 2005 at 9:58 PM Post #39 of 54
well, I am of the opinion that most flaming lips albums sound as if different bands did them, with the same singer and the same inspiration...the best way to know if you'd like priest is to listen to some of it...

Oct 14, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #40 of 54
makes sense
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #41 of 54
Quote:

Why?

It's a popular (but still subjective) opinion. Of course there are Flaming Lips fans out there who think the band peaked with "In A Priest Driven Ambulance).

My personal opinion is that "The Soft Bulletin" is the greatest thing they've ever done. The music, the lyrics, and the themes all appeal to me. My ex-girlfriend prefers "Yoshimi" because "The Soft Bulletin is too sad". Maybe that's one of the reasons I prefer it.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #43 of 54
Quote:

I dunno, i still say that Bulletin's lyrics were poppy and devoid of real emotion :/ YMMV I guess
tongue.gif

To me the Soft Bulletin is extremely emotional. The Spider Bite song for example, is about his very real fear of losing friends to things beyond his control.

Oct 14, 2005 at 11:21 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:

To me the Soft Bulletin is extremely emotional. The Spider Bite song for example, is about his very real fear of losing friends to things beyond his control.

Argh! whoops... i said "lyrics" but i meant "vocals"
rolleyes.gif
big difference
biggrin.gif

i'm sure the lyrics on Bulletin are very awesome, but the way he (she?) sang them was just boring to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back