Flame Worthy Thread: I'll Think For Myself
May 2, 2004 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, this is flame worthy content. It is a rant. Here it is:

I've been around the block in Head-Fi. I've noticed that there are a lot of leaders, followers, and plain old nit wits just hogging up precious bandwidth (and computer resources) with tiring tirades with other members. I got no problems with followers because I was one too a long time ago. Let them learn however chance or fate may intervene. It's the leaders that I got some beef with. I got this funny feeling that people here have a way of thinking about almost everything from guns, religion, politics, sex, and well...headphones. People got their own agendas and biases. What I have a problem with is that some people use their well...post count or something...to influence the followers or newbies like they got their middle finger up their nostril and are just plain old leading them into their own team, camp, ho house, whatever. I don't have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is when people try to boost their status or egos (usually the later; remember the CIA acronym for a traitor - Money Ideology Creed Ego MICE) by getting like mad followers to bend down on their knees and kiss mad Internet bootie or something like that. Guess what? They follow. The follow because well, they're susceptible.

What's this all got to do with me? I'll think for myself. Sure, I'll read a couple of threads about a particular object such as a headphone, headphone amplifier, source, cable, even tweak. But, I ain't gonna just jump in and drink the Kool Aid. No no, I can't afford to do that anymore. When it comes to non-headphone stuff like religion, politics, firearms, 2nd Amendment, and especially literature, I'll think for myself thank you very much.

Thank you very much for reading this rant. Have a nice day!
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2004 at 7:55 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
Welly,

Please stop hogging up precious bandwidth and computer resources.
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

I'll second that motion!
tongue.gif

May 2, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #6 of 39
no idea what you're talking about here welly. but alrighty...

May 2, 2004 at 12:18 PM Post #8 of 39
So if I get this right.
Welly, when you didn't know anything about headphones you were fine with following the advise of people who knew more. And thus you followed them.
But when it comes to stuff you do know something about you don't want to follow blindly because you can think for yourself.
Yep, makes sence. But what is the problem with this?

Goose, what exactly don't you follow?
wink.gif

May 2, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 39
This must be a case of too many of these...

budweiser.jpg

or keep taking these....

_38131084_tabletbottle150.jpg

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

...just kidding, Welly...
wink.gif

May 2, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Okay, this is flame worthy content. It is a rant. Here it is:

I got this funny feeling that people here have a way of thinking about almost everything from guns, religion, politics, sex, and well...headphones. People got their own agendas and biases.

When it comes to non-headphone stuff like religion, politics, firearms, 2nd Amendment, and especially literature, I'll think for myself thank you very much.
Thank you very much for reading this rant. Have a nice day!
biggrin.gif

you forgot to include "rant" to the things to avoid .

May 2, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by usc goose
no idea what you're talking about here welly. but alrighty...

I'm with Dr. Goose. I got not idea either.
I'll follow Goose ................. for now ................
biggrin.gif

May 2, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 39
Well although I don't get exactly what you want to say by this you DO have some points.

For example.

Yes I agree in forums its like in real life and some are leaders (equiv. in the forum are the moderators and the ones that have lots of posts and are kind of known here) and some are simple followers and/or stick their tongues in the behinds of other people just because they feel that by this way they will be the SOMEBODIES that they cannot be on their own. They don't have arguements of their own but they bias their thoughts according to the ones they follow.

Fortunately not all or too many are like this so it's not really a big deal. Like you were already suggested if that annoys you so much just avoid the threads that you think they will upset you.

May 2, 2004 at 5:15 PM Post #13 of 39
i've also noticed alot of threads with rants from people who just want to rant about things increasing lately. i don't see why people feel the need to proclaim that they will decide things for themselves or trust their own ears or whatever they decide to do. i decided these things a long time ago and i didn't feel the need to proclaim it to the whole of headfi, but to each his own, here's to your new found freedom welly, but if you won't take the advice of anyone here or care about anyone's opinion but your own then i really don't see why you'd want to come here at all in the future. all of the above to be taken fwiw,imo,ymmv and so on, of course.

May 2, 2004 at 7:09 PM Post #15 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu

(...)
What I have a problem with is that some people use their well...post count or something...to influence the followers or newbies like they got their middle finger up their nostril and are just plain old leading them into their own team, camp, ho house, whatever.

Hi Wally,

Simple problem with an even simplier solution: you just have to regards these posts numbers as if they were car mileage and his effect on the residual value of the car...
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Edwood: 3,417
Mr. PD: 3,364
USC Goose: 2,911
Gpalmer: 2,486
Tortie: 1,579
Fyrfytrhoges: 1,479
Marios Mar: 1,413
Screwdriver: 1,175
GsFerrari: 1,078
Lisa: 978
ipodstudio: 719
Slimm: 120

P.S. I will have to pay the price for this...
biggrin.gif
Response to this will be read only if you have less posts than me....
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back