Flagship 10 Knowles BA FA19 Is Officially Released
May 12, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #46 of 73
Interesting set indeed.
$999 is the price bracket where nice tribrid sets are also available (or even at a cheaper price), such as monarch DTE900 or used MEST / prestige LTD.
Very temped by this release and would like to see more impressions from you and others. Thanks for your impression!

Yes I find this price segment incredibly compelling in terms of the enhancements above the lower price range, vs the smaller increments of improvements as you climb the ladder to sets that cost multiple times more… diminishing returns has never been more apparent in my experience!

May 12, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #47 of 73
I've only tried the supernova of the above IEMs.

FA19 beats the supernova in technical aspects like soundstage and micro detailing.

Additionally, FA19 has a tuning switch to increase versatility with a bass boost.
I no longer own Neon Pro or SR8 but from memory…

1. NP has a more energetic presentation and steps back a bit on technical capabilities such as detail retrieval and imaging
2. SR8 goes in the other direction where it’s more laid back vs FA19 and again not as technically competent

The OH700VB which I currently own yet again is behind the FA19 from a technical perspective, and overall the tuning is more coloured/fun vs the balanced tuning of the FA19 (with the switches off - I haven’t even tried them on yet).

All excellent sets in various ways so really depends on what you’re looking for. For me the FA19 really excels as an incredibly technically competent and balanced IEM that is still sufficiently emotive and doesn’t fall into a trap of sounding clinical.

I’ve been listening at every opportunity over the weekend, an absolutely fantastic IEM and a massive step up for FiiO.

IMG_3870.jpeg
That's great to hear from the both of you. Will shortlist this as my first full BA set for an all rounder music listening experience. Thanks again for the comparisons 😁

May 12, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #49 of 73
@Scubadevils also how's the mmcx connector? Is your experience the same as basking sharky's?

And would it compete with other kilobuck iems such as monarch mk3, prestige ltd, etc. despite the difference in configs?

Yes very secure and feels premium - you can twist the IEM but they don’t swivel freely like some cheaper MMCX connectors.

I haven’t tried any of the others you mentioned unfortunately! As mentioned previously though, I do think FA19 is a fantastic example of the tipping point into diminishing returns - tuning differences are so vast though depending on driver config / pricing etc that it can be challenging to do a fair apples to apples comparison… it really depends on what you are seeking in a set and of course budget.

May 12, 2024 at 9:43 AM Post #50 of 73
Yes very secure and feels premium - you can twist the IEM but they don’t swivel freely like some cheaper MMCX connectors.

I haven’t tried any of the others you mentioned unfortunately! As mentioned previously though, I do think FA19 is a fantastic example of the tipping point into diminishing returns - tuning differences are so vast though depending on driver config / pricing etc that it can be challenging to do a fair apples to apples comparison… it really depends on what you are seeking in a set and of course budget.
That's very reassuring about the mmcx connectors despite the stigma and I never tried a mmcx connector before. As for the FA19 does it perform well in genres such as pop, rap, r&b and edm?

Also, would the FA19 need any tip rolling since the treble seems peaky at higher regions on the graph? And with switch on, does the bass bleed into the mids?

May 12, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #51 of 73
That's very reassuring about the mmcx connectors despite the stigma and I never tried a mmcx connector before. As for the FA19 does it perform well in genres such as pop, rap, r&b and edm?

Also, would the FA19 need any tip rolling since the treble seems peaky at higher regions on the graph? And with switch on, does the bass bleed into the mids?

Yes worked with any genre I’ve tried so far - techno, rock, jazz, ambient etc… I’ve not tried rap yet but I’ve no doubt they’ll perform.

I don’t find the treble peaky but I’ve older ears 😂 and it’s not typically an issue up top, I tend to be sensitive to peaky upper mids at times but no issues here. As always though, it’ll be down to your own experimentation. I’m using Acoustune AEX07 tips which are my go-to for most IEMs. I haven’t tried the bass switch yet, I prefer to get to know a set with default settings for a while first.

May 12, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #52 of 73
Yes worked with any genre I’ve tried so far - techno, rock, jazz, ambient etc… I’ve not tried rap yet but I’ve no doubt they’ll perform.

I don’t find the treble peaky but I’ve older ears 😂 and it’s not typically an issue up top, I tend to be sensitive to peaky upper mids at times but no issues here. As always though, it’ll be down to your own experimentation. I’m using Acoustune AEX07 tips which are my go-to for most IEMs. I haven’t tried the bass switch yet, I prefer to get to know a set with default settings for a while first.
Ah ok, glad the FA19 works well with several music genres. I'm also sensitive in the upper mids and treble region, so that's reassuring you haven't found issues with the fa19 in the higher frequencies.

For context, I never had an all BA set and my current IEMs are: Yanyin canon 2, simgot ea1000, and Aur Ascension. It's good to know that the FA19 is a TOTL performing IEM, most tempted getting this IEM lol.

May 12, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #53 of 73
Ah ok, glad the FA19 works well with several music genres. I'm also sensitive in the upper mids and treble region, so that's reassuring you haven't found issues with the fa19 in the higher frequencies.

For context, I never had an all BA set and my current IEMs are: Yanyin canon 2, simgot ea1000, and Aur Ascension. It's good to know that the FA19 is a TOTL performing IEM, most tempted getting this IEM lol.

I’m trying to resist gushing praise as I’ve only had it a few days but I’ve been through many IEMs at this stage and definitely know when a set really resonates and FA19 absolutely does… I keep grabbing it at every opportunity! I noted in another thread yesterday that it actually brought me to tears 😂 - HERE - oh and I hadn’t really tried genres like techno when I posted that yesterday, I have since and was very pleasantly surprised how the BAs perform for bass.

May 12, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #54 of 73
I’m trying to resist gushing praise as I’ve only had it a few days but I’ve been through many IEMs at this stage and definitely know when a set really resonates and FA19 absolutely does… I keep grabbing it at every opportunity! I noted in another thread yesterday that it actually brought me to tears 😂 - HERE - oh and I hadn’t really tried genres like techno when I posted that yesterday, I have since and was very pleasantly surprised how the BAs perform for bass.
Wow that's one hella of an musical journey you've written down, great insight into your experiences with the FA19. And many thanks for that link, very helpful in getting the mindset when figuring out how the FA19 sounds 😁. Will most definitely get the FA19 when it's on sale.

Funny enough from what I heard, fiio doesn't make great sounding iems in various price ranges but this seems to be worth its value. Again, thanks for convincing me the FA19's TOTL performance.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #55 of 73
Dense and thick, layered and varied, each note seems to tell a moving story. By: 爱搞事视频
DSC08249std.jpg
DSC08261std.jpg
DSC08268std.jpg
DSC08275std.jpg
DSC08289std.jpg
DSC08296std.jpg
DSC08334std.jpg
DSC08341std.jpg
DSC08350std.jpg
DSC08358std.jpg
DSC08377std.jpg
DSC08398std.jpg
DSC08404std.jpg
DSC08416std.jpg
DSC08436std.jpg
DSC08470std.jpg
DSC08499std.jpg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 13, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #57 of 73
Still not available in Japan, can't wait to test them. Really liked the FA9 and want to see, what they archived with the new one
Same here in Thailand. Apparently the fa19 is coming early next month (no specific date unfortunately). Hoping others get to try the fa19 sooner than me and hoping their experiences are positive. Tempted to get an all BA set for the first time. Graph looks good coming from fiio haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back