FLACing windows 8!
Jan 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Varinn

New Head-Fier
I got a set of Sennheiser HD558's and an ASUS DX recently so I'm finally considering trying my music in FLAC format but finding it difficult to get a nice clean method for playback. I recently upgraded from Win7 x64 Home Premium to Win8 x64 Pro and I'm noticing a distinct difference in media management. I'd REALLY prefer to just play FLAC files through either windows media player or iTunes for the sake of keeping everything in one place. I tried downloading Win media but it says I couldn't install it, and iTunes seems to need files to be converted according to my google searching. I downloaded WinAmp but i really cant stand the UI, I'd much rather have something with a simple UI. I use iTunes now because it's both sinple, and integrates well with my iPhone for keeping things synced. What other alternatives do I have? And what is the most appropriate equalizer/setting selection for my sound card to make the music as close to intended as possible.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 8
I use J. River Media Center and it's awesome.

Be sure to research WASAPI settings so you can get your output bit perfect.

FLAC really is the best way to go.  Before you get all your files converted, do some research.  IMHO you'll want to add ReplayGain tags to all of your music, but not everyone agrees.

What format will you be converting from?  What utility will you be using to convert?

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:
I use J. River Media Center and it's awesome.

Be sure to research WASAPI settings so you can get your output bit perfect.

FLAC really is the best way to go.  Before you get all your files converted, do some research.  IMHO you'll want to add ReplayGain tags to all of your music, but not everyone agrees.

The reason not to agree to use ReplayGain is because that way you are altering the input data, so your bit perfect output is not perfect any more.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

The reason not to agree to use ReplayGain is because that way you are altering the input data, so your bit perfect output is not perfect any more.

Adjusting volume in the digital domain is something that is done frequently in all sorts of devices using all sorts of software.  We can debate the wisdom of doing this, but unless you're using an external DAC or a line out, chances are excellent that you're doing the same thing to your files that ReplayGain would do anyway.

But, you always have the option to tell whatever player you're using to ignore the replay gain tags.

But if you're like the OP, just starting to convert your files, and you don't put the tags on, then decide at a later date that you do want the benefits of replay gain, you may very well have a substantial portion of your collection that needs the tags applied retroactively.  This is absolutely possible to do, but it would be a PITA anyway.  Don't ask me how I know this!

That's why all I advised was for the OP to do some research now, before he starts converting his files, so he can make an informed decision.

Personally, I've never heard any distortion or non-linearity caused by ReplayGain, and in a lot of cases ReplayGain can be set to prevent clipping, thereby preventing distortion.  I think the benefits of using ReplayGain far outweigh any drawbacks.  The original files are not altered, these are merely meta data tags appended to the files, just like any other meta data.

Jan 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #7 of 8
Replaygain tags are just that tags only and there is no reason to not add them.  The only time I apply replay gain on playback is when creating playlists for a party,  my music spans many decades and is all over the place volume wise.  I turn on replaygain only in this situation.  Leave it off 99% of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back