FLAC
Oct 26, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #16 of 36
Arghh, its all the same as that, except the location of FLAC.exe, but thats on my desktop.

...hmmm, thats a link that might be it?

edit -

All is well. I hadn't linked up EAC with the FLAC.exe.

I discovered this resorting back to Lame. I put both Lame & Ogg exe files in the EAC folder in 'my computer'. Now its easy, if ever I want oggs, mp3s or FLACs. What goes in the 'aps' line for ogg?

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #17 of 36
That's great you have it working,...there are just too many of these little programs to have time to master (and have time left to enjoy the results of what has you doing it all).

The *Additional Command Line Options* box for ogg should be : -q 5 -a "%a" -t "%t" -l "%g" -d "%y" -N "%n" -G "%m" %s -o %d

(And you'd also have to tell EAC to end the file names with .ogg and to Browse to the oggenc2.exe on your computer).

I haven't used Ogg, I took the info from the linked EAC setup guide linked in my first post, ...it has the details for other codecs too.

Oct 27, 2005 at 10:58 AM Post #18 of 36
Thanks everyone. Wow the FLAC encoder is a lot quicker than the Lame one.

You know how you set up all the adaptors and stuff for EAC, is this only for ripping, the encoding is a seperate operation?

I'm going to rip a CD as FLAC and see how it sounds with my current crappy soundcard (Avance AC97, is that a soundcard?) and my Supermacro-3 amp. I might rip all my CDs as FLAC, a couple a day, but they'll have to wait until I get my new PC to be played.

p.s. the command line for Lame is '--alt-preset standard' right?

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:37 PM Post #19 of 36
You can use Yahoo Music Engine. It rips CDs directly to FLAC with tags and everything. I use it all the time. You don't have to use EAC if your CDs are not scratched.

Oct 27, 2005 at 2:26 PM Post #20 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Can't see FLAC taking off without a one-eyed Monkey being able to do it.
tongue.gif

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/

Designed with the one-eyed monkey firmly in mind.

You'll need to download a bunch of plug-ins to supprt FLAC and whatever other formats you want. Everything else is self-explanatory.

I do use FLAC on the X5 portably, and I would not consider using a lossy format for any reason. Lossless is the way to go!

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #21 of 36
Lossy formats are only for portability really. A DAP of mine has to have all my music on it, right at this moment even in FLAC that would mean needing a 90GB player. FLAC is 4.5 times larger than my aps mp3s...Then considering my Zen will only play WAVs.

My computer HDD/Soundcard aren't big/good enough to load up FLACs yet. Will I get a huge improvement if I changed my source for maybe a PC with a EMU1212 and a biggish HDD to load up with FLACs? Keeping headphones/amp the same...

Oct 27, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #22 of 36
All recommended settings from HA. My command line:

-V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

compression 8, since it doesn't take that much longer than 5 on my PC

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed

My computer HDD/Soundcard aren't big/good enough to load up FLACs yet. Will I get a huge improvement if I changed my source for maybe a PC with a EMU1212 and a biggish HDD to load up with FLACs? Keeping headphones/amp the same...

An E-MU soundcard will be a nice upgrade. I used to use a Santa Cruz based soundcard and the E-MU0404 was a big difference from that.

Oct 27, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #23 of 36
Ooh, does using that command line with ogg vorbis mean it'll be tagged?

This probably belongs in the 'Computers as sources' board, but you may know this J-Pak?

emu1212m.jpg

Thats the 1212, I guess 2 boards means it wouldn't all fit onto one? Heh, do you know what each of those connections do!
Where do you plug in your headphones, also can you easily connect up to the 3.5mm jack that'll be on the front.

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #25 of 36
I'm talking about a command line for ogg.

So with the mono-plug I'll need some adaptor to go into my amp?

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #26 of 36
I agree with catscratch: dbpoweramp is super-easy to use and has a great UI. Handles FLAC, OGG, MP3....

Oct 28, 2005 at 3:18 AM Post #28 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by isamu
how does FLAC compare to monkey audio?

Monkey is slightly smaller, but takes more power to encode, and to decode. As such, FLAC has gotten wider acceptance, as it is easy enough to decode that DAP chips and set-top boxes can do it. WavPack is even better, IIRC, but has IP issues surrounding it.

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:35 AM Post #30 of 36
Yeah and does WavPack work like a regular WAV, i.e. it'll work on my Zen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back