FLAC
Oct 29, 2005 at 10:43 AM Post #31 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faelix
What kind of IP issues?

Dunno. Maybe I'm off--I could have sworn it was Wavpack, but Google isn't turning up anything. If I find anything (including another codec I could have gotten mixed up w/ Wavpack), I'll post it here, but for now, assume I was wrong.

Oct 29, 2005 at 10:56 AM Post #32 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
WavPack allows users to compress (and restore) both 16 and 24-bit audio files in the .WAV format. It also supports multichannel streams and high frequency sampling rates. Like other lossless compression schemes the data reduction varies with the source, but it is generally between 25% and 50% for typical popular music and somewhat better than that for classical music and other sources with greater dynamic range.

WavPack also incorporates a unique "hybrid" mode that provides all the advantages of lossless compression with an additional bonus. Instead of creating a single file, this mode creates both a relatively small, high-quality lossy file that can be used all by itself, and a "correction" file that (when combined with the lossy file) provides full lossless restoration. For some users, this means never having to choose between lossless and lossy compression.

Ooh, that sounds mighty interesting. Can the encoder just be linked to EAC like Lame/FLAC.

How does the lossy/lossyless thing work?

Oct 29, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #33 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Ooh, that sounds mighty interesting. Can the encoder just be linked to EAC like Lame/FLAC.

Yes. WavPack is a commandline application (like Lame and FLAC), so you set up EAC to use it as the external encoder
Quote:

How does the lossy/lossyless thing work?

Quite well actually!
biggrin.gif

Oct 29, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #34 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by solaris
Yes. WavPack is a commandline application (like Lame and FLAC), so you set up EAC to use it as the external encoder
Quite well actually!
biggrin.gif

Very helpful Solaris!
wink.gif

Got a guide for setting it up? Like what do you put instead of '-alt--preset standard'?

Will it work on things that play WAVs?

Oct 29, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #35 of 36
Oct 29, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #36 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by solaris
I'm a Mac user, so I have no clue how to use EAC.
.. and no the files will not play on any "thing" that play wav's.
It need to have WavPack support.

Well it looks like Wavpack will have to wait for my new PC, like FLAC was. Anyway I can't imagine it being better than my aps mp3s to the tune of how much bigger they are.

Can you get a Mac version of EAC, I'd strongly recommend trying it.
iTunes wouldn't be my ripper/encoder of choice. Your mp3s can only be as good as the lossless files you encoded them from. EAC will do multiple error sweeps when ripping, I have scratched CDs that EAC/Lame made perfect mp3 files of. It is slower because of this, but do a few extra minutes negate having better mp3s forever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back