FLAC
Oct 26, 2005 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Chri5peed

Headphoneus Supremus
My search was fruitless, don't know if this is the place to ask...

I want to know how to make FLAC files from a CD. Also how big are they? I heard 30-50% of mp3s; two things:

Aren't all FLACs created the same, so would have a fixed size?

30-50% of 128mp3s?

Thanks. Oh yeah, what DAPs play them out of interest?

Oct 26, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 36
flac size can vary depending on the material you're encoding. Typically they run 700-850 kbps in my experience. Wav files (totally uncompressed) are 1411kbps, MP3 can run anywhere from 60 to 320kbps. I use "level 5" encoding which is the default I think. If you change the encoding level you can get smaller files but they require more horsepower to decode. BTW, Kbps means kilo-bits-per-second. To get file size in bytes you have to multiply by the number of seconds in the song and then divide by 8.

I make flac files by first ripping to wav using Exact Audio Copy (known as EAC) and then running these through Flac Frontend. There are ways to make the flac part integrate with EAC but I've never bothered to figure it out. If you do, it should make tagging a lot easier since you can't really tag wav.

Check out this site for flac info and downloads: http://flac.sourceforge.net/

As far as portable players that support it, I believe it's limited to Rio Karma, the iRiver iHP, and Cowon players. I use flac at home with the Squeezebox but opted for AAC @ 224kbps for portable use to keep my avg file size down to ~6.5MB on the road.

edit: missed this part. Flac is roughly 6x *larger* than a 128kpbs mp3. Not sure where you got the 30-50% number.

Oct 26, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 36
I got the 30-50% bit from Wikipedia. I use VBR aps mp3s, so I'm not clueless.
wink.gif

Thanks, I just want to rip all my CDs as FLAC and keep them on my computer until I get a new one with a super soundcard and demote mp3s to just portable use.

Oct 26, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #5 of 36
Yes, it is. And it's a little optimistic. I'd say 50-70% of the original file size (i.e. 30-50% _compression_, not resulting file size).

Oct 26, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #6 of 36
Lol Fiery, I'm not an idiot(got a Higher National Degree in Electrcial Engineering), but I found most of that explanation a bit complicated!

Is there anyway to just stick in a CD, open EAC and click a button, name a folder and make an album into FLAC?

Can't see FLAC taking off without a one-eyed Monkey being able to do it.
tongue.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 36
Oct 26, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamWill
I'd say 50-70% of the original file size (i.e. 30-50% _compression_, not resulting file size).

Yes! Sorry: 50-70% original file size, or 30-50% space saving. Most of the test examples I've read were about low 50's of the original file size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Lol Fiery, I'm not an idiot(got a Higher National Degree in Electrcial Engineering), but I found most of that explanation a bit complicated!

Is there anyway to just stick in a CD, open EAC and click a button, name a folder and make an album into FLAC?

Can't see FLAC taking off without a one-eyed Monkey being able to do it.
tongue.gif

Yeah it is a lot to take in isn't it! There is so much info there on hydrogenaudio, I am still trying to wade through it all myself... I am not familiar with FLAC enough to offer you another easier option, although I am sure there probably is, I think that is the audiophile way of doing things. Actually I think that point '1 a' is only for your initial set-up of EAC, so really, we only need to look at points '1 b' and point '2'. This cuts back about half of the page!
tongue.gif

If you find a simpler way, let us know hey?

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidd
you can set up EAC to rip to FLAC pretty easily
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....e=EAC_and_Flac

I perfer Wavpack over Flac myself though, as it's a bit faster at encoding and the filesizes are a tiny bit smaller

That seems like the one dave. I'll try it in a moment.
580smile.gif

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #11 of 36
Some Exact Audio Copy/FLAC set up details ...

I can't safely walk you through the steps, because though I did it,....its a little while ago and I can't remember the details precisely.

But what you want to do, can be done. Exact Audio Copy will rip the CD data, then use any external compressor (FLAC in your case) to recode the WAV file.

Exact Audio Copy will recognize the disc in your drive. You can set it to automatically check the online database for title and track info, so that will all be spelled out and ready to go (or ready for you to review).

The tags and labels all look OK? Just click the one button, (it says MP3 on the EAC button, but it will function for whatever external compression program you've set up EAC to use - so you click the MP3 button, but its really FLAC that'll be used).

Now EAC will rip the CD to WAV. , code to FLAC, automatically delete the WAV. and save the FLAC. It'll end up in the Folder you've picked, named according to the online database.

First download FLAC Frontend. Google FLAC Frontend Download or FLAC Download and you should find it easily.

Then download and set up EAC. In setting it up the first time, tell it you want to use an external program for compression and tell it which program and where to find it (there's a string you'll enter into an EAC box, its detailed in the link).

Oct 26, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 36
Thanks monk. I use EAC/Lame to make mp3s now, I thought it might just be a case of replacing Lame with a FLAC encoder.

edit - Well J, it seems there is indeed an easy way to do it.

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 36
Hmmm, EAC is ripping the WAVs but its not automatically using the FLAC encoder?

Oct 26, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #15 of 36
Here are my settings:

Click *File* on top left of EAC and select *Compression Options*.

Select *External Compression* Tab

*Use External Compression* box is checked

*Parameter Passing Scheme:* has a drop down box to select options, mine shows *User Defined*

*Use file name extension* box says *.flac*

*Program, including path, used for compression:* box is filled in as *C:\Windows\System32\flac.exe* . There's a button to browse and find flac on your system, but this is the default installation location, so your flac is probably at this same address.

*Additional Command Line Options* box is filled in:
-T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

This was taken from the instruction in the link in my earlier post, so cut and paste should work into your program.

*Bit Rate* is set at 192, but it shouldn't be relevant here, flac won't need this info.

of the boxes on the lower part of the tab, only two are checked, *high quality* and *Delete WAV after compression*

Work?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back