FLAC, where can i get more?
Aug 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

1haxor

New Head-Fier
I just downloaded a song in FLAC format and it sounded SO different and SO much better i am wondering where i can get all my fav songs in lossless formats, for free ofc.

Aug 29, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 12
Under current IP laws, there are usually no legal methods to getting free music, bud, especially for the popular stuff. I would expect you to know this, and understand that those things are not going to be discussed here. There are places like BandCamp that can provide the occasional free album in lossless formats, as well as a few other sites... http://www.head-fi.org/t/644595/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread. Using the search bar will get you pretty far. Perhaps a music streaming service like Spotify that can provide 320 kbps MP3's for a small monthly fee would suit you better.

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Under current IP laws, there are usually no legal methods to getting free music, bud, especially for the popular stuff. I would expect you to know this, and understand that those things are not going to be discussed here. There are places like BandCamp that can provide the occasional free album in lossless formats, as well as a few other sites... http://www.head-fi.org/t/644595/official-free-flac-file-music-sharing-thread. Using the search bar will get you pretty far. Perhaps a music streaming service like Spotify that can provide 320 kbps MP3's for a small monthly fee would suit you better.

By free i meant very little money. Looks like spotify is a good deal, however how does it compare to other loss-less files?

Aug 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 12
It sounds like endless debate in the sound science sub-forum, haha. I don't find differences b/w 320 MP3's and lossless, tbh.

Aug 30, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 12
If you really are serious about audio on high definition, FLAC or WAV, go here:
http://www.hdtracks.com/
These guys have great recordings.  They have a sampler for free but the other stuff you have to pay for.  Depending on the artist or popularity it can be very expensive.
Serious or high definition audio will never be free.  Anyone can give you for free a trashy, bright, dry, edgy and thin mp3 but  no one is going to give you for free a popular or famous song on 96Khz/24-Bit or even a 192Khz/24-Bit recording.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 12

It sounds like endless debate in the sound science sub-forum, haha. I don't find differences b/w 320 MP3's and lossless, tbh.

\

Ok, thanks for your help. I'll probs suscribe to spotify then
smily_headphones1.gif

In a very high end home stereo is very easy to notice the difference.  The compressed format or digital recording sounds horrible bright, thin, edgy, unnatural than in a analog or uncompressed format.  Since I started listening to LP for instance, I cannot stand CDs brightness.

Also, you will notice that one cannot listen to long periods of time to compress formats.  I get a headache or neck pain after a while of listening to compressed formats.  It is not like that with LPs or high definition uncompressed format.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 12

I'm going to quote myself to focus on the OP's question on where to find FLAC/higher-than-compressed MP3 quality files for cheap. The place to discuss 'hi-res' music is not here. There are issues of mastering and files not really saying they're the bitrate they are, but that's also unrelated.

Aug 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 12
In a very high end home stereo is very easy to notice the difference. 

My home audio system is "high end." I don't notice a big difference between lossless vs. 320k mp3 of the same digital recordings.

Since I started listening to LP for instance, I cannot stand CDs brightness.

CD's and digital recordings are not inherently "bright." Although (a) vinyl can sound a bit warmer due to coloration (depending on your setup) and (b) cheap DACs might sound a bit bright.

Also, you will notice that one cannot listen to long periods of time to compress formats.  I get a headache or neck pain after a while of listening to compressed formats.  It is not like that with LPs or high definition uncompressed format.

Never heard of anyone on an audio website say that before. Not denying you might feel that way, but certainly sounds atypical to what most people experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back