Flac to MP3
Jan 27, 2009 at 2:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

8140david

100+ Head-Fier
I rip my CDs in flac, using EAC.
But later I will want to convert some of it in mp3 (for my mp3 player).
What is the easiest way? Using which free program?
Thanks!

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 23
Jan 27, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by sdfx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Prefer foobar method, btw you don't want to decode into wav then mp3, because going to through more will just produce loss of quality.

If you convert from lossless format to lossless format you will never lose quality. But if you convert from flac to wav to mp3 you will lose all your tags.

Foobar is a valuable tool for all things audio, I don't know if I could live without it now. Yes it takes a bit of time to learn everything it can do, but it should be fairly easy to find guides to help you make it do what you want.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The latest FooBar can convert to Mp3 from FLAC.

This might be a stupid question but when it is converting, is it adding additional files or compressing the .flac ones into .mp3?

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a stupid question but when it is converting, is it adding additional files or compressing the .flac ones into .mp3?

What you are doing is just automating the conversion. The program will decode the .flac file into .wav and then encode it to .mp3. You only see it as one smooth conversion though, and the .wav files are only put in as temp files so you never see them. The program will get the tag from the .flac, and then retag the mp3 with it, saving you a lot of time and effort of the conversion.

Jan 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to use mp3?

Ogg Vorbis (especielly aoTuV) generally results in better quality and smaller files, and the conversion is very easy:

oggenc -qN *.flac

(N sets the quality; see Vorbis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for this).

Or an easier GUI way:

Just make sure you go into 'Tagging, File Naming...' option by right-clicking it and tick the 'Copy Comments/Tags from FLAC input file' to avoid pain!

Select your bitrate by right-clicking it and in 'Encoding Options'.
Download oggdropXPd 1.9.0 - A drag-and-drop Ogg Vorbis encoder/decoder/player for the eXPerienced user - Softpedia
it uses AoTuV Ogg Vorbis.

This and LAME -v0 via Foobar2000 does my lossy encoding needs fine.

Jan 28, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalgary /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You end up with both the original file and the converted one.

Jan 31, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #12 of 23
Jan 31, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mape00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have to use mp3?

Ogg Vorbis (especielly aoTuV) generally results in better quality and smaller files, and the conversion is very easy:

oggenc -qN *.flac

(N sets the quality; see Vorbis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for this).

well he's doing this to put music on his mp3 player so we can assume it's likely his player doesn't support vorbis... or he wants better battery life...

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MediaMonkey can do it. I like that program, its very versatile.

Using mediamonkey as well. Just highlight the files in your libaray that you want to convert. Go to tools> convert format then select what type of format you want to covert too...

I've been converting my flac files to 320k mp3 for my mp3 player and it works well.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #15 of 23
Foobar can do it very easy for you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back