Flac to mp3 converter?
Dec 14, 2006 at 12:09 AM Post #5 of 26
I use both, foobar generally for ogg vorbis replay gain. I do like Cdex's folder creation options when re-encoding since source folder structures can be recreated under the destination directory. Useful when re-encoding multiple flac albums, tagging the re-encoded files etc. Perhaps Foobar has the same functionality though.

Graham

May 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 26
Sorry to necro an old thread but this is exactly my question. I'm trying to use Foobar to convert my FLAC library into mp3 (I am beyond sick and tired of Rockbox -- I'll be here waiting when the iPod version gets out of beta) but when I choose LAME mp3 @245kbps (highest setting), it asks me to select the directory that contains "lame.exe". Is there something I'm missing here?

May 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by nibiyabi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to necro an old thread but this is exactly my question. I'm trying to use Foobar to convert my FLAC library into mp3 (I am beyond sick and tired of Rockbox -- I'll be here waiting when the iPod version gets out of beta) but when I choose LAME mp3 @245kbps (highest setting), it asks me to select the directory that contains "lame.exe". Is there something I'm missing here?

Foobar does not ship with the LAME encoder. Just download LAME from this site and point Foobar to it.

May 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #12 of 26
I am officially a noob. Thanks Febs.
biggrin.gif
See you soon for fantasy football maybe?
wink.gif

May 21, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 26
Foobar indeed. I have been able to produce Lame MP3s that play perfectly gapless in Rockbox (key word: perfect) by ripping with AutoFLAC and EAC to FLAC image files with cue sheets (which are great for archiving to DVD) and then converting to Lame V2 new~vbr with a right click in Foobar. If you have dual processors, Foobar converts two songs at a time. It's very efficient.

May 21, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 26
Another question. -_- Foobar seems to only support up to 245kbps but I would really prefer to have the files at 320kbps. The HTML files included with the LAME .exe outline commands as to how to do this, but give me no place to input said commands. Is there somewhere in Foobar I'm supposed to be able to do this?

May 21, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #15 of 26
Right-click on the file, and select "Convert to ..."

Click "more settings."

Click "Add new."

Select "custom" from the drop-down list.

You can then create a custom command line with whatever LAME settings you want.

Be aware, however, that the reason that Foobar only gives you the option to go as high as 245kbps (LAME -v0) is that there is very little quality increase between -V0 and 320kbps. You're using a lot more space than you need to for almost no quality gain. The -V0 setting is a VBR setting and it will use 320kbps to encode frames that require that level of quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back