Flac to mp3 converter?
May 21, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 26
Febs, are you still using V3 or V4 as I remember? Maybe just for portable? I'm using V2 and can hear absolutely no difference from lossless (maybe I should be embarassed but there it is). I could probably go lower too but I've just defaulted to V2. I'll stay there until I have a 750 GB hard drive (someday) then I suppose I'll pull out those FLAC images...

May 21, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 26
Actually, I use -V5.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Febs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I use -V5.
smily_headphones1.gif

Which is probably really smart! I think I'm using V2 just to defend my manhood in these shark infested waters.
eggosmile.gif
Anyway I can fit my music on the H140's 40 GB hard drive in V2 for now and a 60 GB hard drive is just eBay away...

May 21, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #19 of 26
Has anyone else had issues where Foobar2000 does something strange with the tags when it converts flac to mp3? When I import the mp3s into iTunes, there are weird carriage returns after each tag entry that I have to fix manually.

Happy Listening!

May 21, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by abs@nilenet.com /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else had issues where Foobar2000 does something strange with the tags when it converts flac to mp3? When I import the mp3s into iTunes, there are weird carriage returns after each tag entry that I have to fix manually.

Happy Listening!

I had the same issue importing MP3s into iTunes to synch with a Shuffle. But is the problem with Foobar's convesrsion of FLAC to MP3 or simply iTunes import of external MPs? I was assuming the latter.

May 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dbPoweramp Music Converter

x whatever

extremely fast with a dual or quad core. Mine works at almost 100x during FLAC to MP3 conversions. In other words an album in less than a minute.

May 21, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #24 of 26
I KNOW THE SOLUTION TO THE iTUNES PROBLEM!

Yeah, it took me awhile, and worse, I had to find out by myself.

File/Preferences/Advanced/Tagging/MP3/check the box "ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode"

smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I KNOW THE SOLUTION TO THE iTUNES PROBLEM!

Yeah, it took me awhile, and worse, I had to find out by myself.

File/Preferences/Advanced/Tagging/MP3/check the box "ID3v2 Writer Compatibility Mode"

smily_headphones1.gif

Very handy. Thanks!

Mar 13, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #26 of 26
Right-click on the file, and select "Convert to ..."

Click "more settings."

Click "Add new."

Select "custom" from the drop-down list.

You can then create a custom command line with whatever LAME settings you want.

Be aware, however, that the reason that Foobar only gives you the option to go as high as 245kbps (LAME -v0) is that there is very little quality increase between -V0 and 320kbps. You're using a lot more space than you need to for almost no quality gain. The -V0 setting is a VBR setting and it will use 320kbps to encode frames that require that level of quality.

Cool, very professional answer!

Can I ask a question for you?

After "Add new" I selected "custom", then in the follow Commandline Encoder Setting window:
I chose "Lossless (or hybrid)" as Format,
"24" as Highest BPS mode support,
and manually changed "320kbps CBR" to "320kbps VBR" in the Display/Settings section.
The Encoder/Parameters was "-S --noreplaygain -b 320 - %d" (which I did not modify).

However, the output file was a 320kbps CBR mp3 file. But I don't like CBR mp3 files. I like VBR mp3 files as they are much smaller in size. So how to modify the settings in Foobar so that I can convert flac to VBR mp3 with the highest audio quality, say close or equal to lossless (320kbps VBR or above)?

Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back