FLAC to ALAC
Jan 24, 2008 at 8:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Claus-DK

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi Ihave a problem, I have ripped a bunch of cds in FLAC and want to convert them into Apple lossless, how do I do that..

Uptil now I have been converting from flac to WAV, then imported the WAV to Itunes and then convertet it to ALAC and after that removed the WAV files from Itunes, but it is a hell of a work and I would love to have some kind of software that can go from FLAC to ALAC..

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #4 of 22
x2 on Max.
Its simply a stunning application. ..and its free as well!
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #6 of 22
No, Mac OS 10.4 (and later) only.
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus-DK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can Max run on windows ?? I like free stuff

dBpoweramp will do what you need it to for free. Make sure to get all the necessary codecs (FLAC, M4A) in order to handle the FLAC to ALAC conversion.

Also note that the software is slightly crippled unless you pay a lot of money for it, so you have to do some extra work to give your files very elaborate names in order to not have files overwritten due to its inability to use custom file and folder naming. And, regardless of what the program's author says, the tagging conventions of dBpoweramp will almost invariably leave you with certain metadata missing (like total tracks and total discs). When it comes to "standards," clearly it only really matters how Apple Lossless tags are implemented by Apple, since there is no need for anyone to encode to Apple Lossless if they don't use Apple hardware and software.

Max (for OS X) is, in my opinion, much better than dBpoweramp for file conversions, but until and unless there's ever a free add-on for foobar2000 to encode directly to ALAC, it looks like dBpoweramp Music Converter is about the best you can do with Windows.

Jan 24, 2008 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also note that the software is slightly crippled unless you pay a lot of money for it, so you have to do some extra work to give your files very elaborate names in order to not have files overwritten due to its inability to use custom file and folder naming. And, regardless of what the program's author says, the tagging conventions of dBpoweramp will almost invariably leave you with certain metadata missing (like total tracks and total discs). When it comes to "standards," clearly it only really matters how Apple Lossless tags are implemented by Apple, since there is no need for anyone to encode to Apple Lossless if they don't use Apple hardware and software.

Scary.....

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 22
What I do is convert the FLAC to WAV from foobar2000, load the WAV files into iTunes, then convert!
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I do is convert the FLAC to WAV from foobar2000, load the WAV files into iTunes, then convert!
biggrin.gif

Doesn't WAV not have tag support?

I just did a batch conversion of about 10,000 FLACs to ALAC, and while there were about 10% of my files that did indeed seem to lose the tags I had previously done through Winamp, they were mostly intact.

I found that the easiest way to get around dbPowerAmp's lack of ability to do dynamic folders (without paying for Reference) is to organize my files how I want them (using the right folder hierarchy), then drop them into several folders based on Artist name. Then, I did a Windows search of that folder ("A-F" for example) for all files with ".flac" in the filename. Highlight them all in the search window, and right click. There should be an option to batch convert using dbPowerAmp. Convert to apple lossless with "output into original folder" selected, then go back in and delete all the flacs (if that's what you want to do). After that, just cut everything remaining out of your "A-F" (or whatever) folder, and paste back in to the main folder.

It's a lot quicker than it sounds, and worked perfectly for me.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #11 of 22
Nope, once you convert to WAV (in foobar2000, at least), all the data is wiped.
eek.gif

Except for the original file names, of course.
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 22
I recently did this on my PC system. dbPowerAmp did the batch (appr 100g of FLAC) conversion like a charm. Was worth the registration fee.

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:06 PM Post #13 of 22
Another vote for dbPoweramp. I've tried all the alternatives and settled on this. Very easy and you can do batch converts on your whole library. Keeps all tag info intact and also the album art.

james

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #14 of 22
I have done like the marching mule, but the tagging is not great to say the least.....

Next time I´ll buy dbpoweramp and try it that way....

Thanks for your help to all of you...

Further info is still wanted and appreciated

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #15 of 22
Does converting from FLAC straight to ALAC using dbpoweramp, reduce sound qualities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back