Flac to ALAC w/ tag info
Mar 31, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahh that's interesting. Anyone actually tried ffmpeg's stab at ALAC encoding? Is it any better than dBpoweramp's windows implementation? Is it multi core aware?
I Do like that dBpoweramp's uses all 4 cores at once, Itunes is hopelessly single threaded, but seems to put the start/stop times in more accurately than dBpoweramp..

I have not tried it myself, but you find some test results in here:
FFmpeg supports ALAC encoder now... - Doom9's Forum

Seems to have both faster encoding and tighter encoding than iTunes.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought dbPowerAmp used Nero, or is that just for AAC?

As far as I've ever understood it, dBpoweramp's Apple Lossless codec is customized and reverse engineered, and not an Ahead/Nero product.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Itunes is hopelessly single threaded, but seems to put the start/stop times in more accurately than dBpoweramp..

As I stated earlier, I use Max to transcode FLAC to Apple Lossless. However, I don't consider the job complete until I again transcode to Apple Lossless with iTunes. I would do the same if using dBpoweramp on my Windows computers.

Apr 1, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #20 of 23
I've got around Itunes refusal to read FLAC by converting to WMA lossless in dBpoweramp, then dropping those into Itunes.. Takes a while, but it keeps all my tags and keeps it lossless. Not too quick though.

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #21 of 23
I just downloaded MAX 0.91 and see no ALAC format... is this the incorrect version, any advice?? THANKS!
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by agbassano /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just downloaded MAX 0.91 and see no ALAC format... is this the incorrect version, any advice?? THANKS!
wink.gif

"Apple MPEG-4 Audio" then "Apple Lossless"

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #23 of 23
using ffmpeg for flac to alac goes like this

for a single file

ffmpeg -i  input file.flac -acodec alac output file.m4a

alac to flac   

ffmpeg -i  input file.m4a output file.flac

batch convert from flac to alac   In terminal  cd to the folder where your files are then    enter

for f in *.flac; do ffmpeg -i   "$f" -acodec alac  "${f%.flac}.m4a"; done

batch convert from alac to flac      In terminal  cd to the folder where your files are then    enter

for f in *.m4a; do ffmpeg -i "$f" "${f%.m4a}.flac"; done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back