Flac to ALAC w/ tag info
Mar 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

benbrown

New Head-Fier
I have a very extensive music collection stored in the flac format. When I want to add these to iTunes I obviously have to decompress the files to wav and then add to iTunes. Then I tag and rename every file manually. All of my flac files are named ARTIST - ALBUM - TRACK# - SONG NAME. Then after everything looks good I will convert to Apple lossless. Is there a better or quicker way to accomplish this rather than right clicking on each and every song in iTunes and typing in all of the tag info? It can get quite tedious and time consuming. It would be nice if iTunes or another program could read the tag info, retain it and apply it to the m4a files in the end.

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 23
Besides the naming structure of your FLAC files that you mentioned in your post, are the FLACs actually tagged with metadata? Also, which operating system are you using?

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 23
Max to the rescue.
smile.gif

It allows you to transcode those FLAC files to Apple Lossless, with metadata intact.

Max from sbooth.org

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 23
Sorry...forgot to add that I am using Windows....No Max for me I guess. Yes, all of the flac files do have the tag info.
I was hoping to find some software that would read the naming structure and tag the files or something that could recode to ALAC with the metadata intact.
Even if I get something to convert from the wav to ALAC while keeping the metadat would work.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 23
Well, Max is what I use for this, but on Windows I would definitely use dBpoweramp. Just download the program and the necessary codecs and you're good to go.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 23
Any suggestions for those of us who use Linux?

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 23
I'm not sure there are any ALAC encoders for linux, isn't it closed source by apple?

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by benbrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry...forgot to add that I am using Windows....No Max for me I guess.

Ok, then Max is out.. But then I suggest you could give dBpoweramp a try.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostChild1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any suggestions for those of us who use Linux?

FFmpeg is supposed to have Apple Lossless encoding.
FFmpeg

Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure there are any ALAC encoders for linux, isn't it closed source by apple?

The Apple encoder is closed-source, but the codec have been reverse engineered. dBpoweramp have a reverse engineered encoder (closed-source), while FFmpeg (link above) afaik have an open-source one.

Mar 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif

dBpoweramp is rather famous for running properly under Wine.

Mar 30, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #12 of 23
x6 for dBpoweramp

This what I do when going from FLAC to ALAC, preserves all the track info including embedded album art I wanna say. Plus I find the included ID3 editor convenient.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #14 of 23
It's also my favorite tool for ripping, mainly because it looks at more that one DB for the tags. For run of the mill CDs that's not a big deal, but it's great for more obscure CDs. Like EAC, it also uses Accurip to see if you ripped correctly and to set drive offsets.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 23
Ahh that's interesting. Anyone actually tried ffmpeg's stab at ALAC encoding? Is it any better than dBpoweramp's windows implementation? Is it multi core aware?
I Do like that dBpoweramp's uses all 4 cores at once, Itunes is hopelessly single threaded, but seems to put the start/stop times in more accurately than dBpoweramp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back