FLAC or Apple Lossless?
Jun 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #16 of 47
I just became a believer in FLAC....

The ALAC file was bigger and had a tiny bit bigger bitrate but there was better sound/instrument differentiation with the FLAC (ripped w/ EAC, playing through winamp). In "theory" there should be no difference, but I heard what I am still hearing. =/

Not to say you should listen to me vs. Krmathis who's been on these boards for a while, I'm simply posting what I hear.

+1 for FLAC =)

Jun 18, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #17 of 47
sorry to partially threadjack here, but if I purchase a song or album from itunes is it automatically saved in Apple Lossless?

Most of my cds were ripped (re-ripped after I joined head-fi and got a clue), in FLAC, I want to purchase my music online and itunes seems the easiest choice.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

sorry to partially threadjack here, but if I purchase a song or album from itunes is it automatically saved in Apple Lossless?

Most of my cds were ripped (re-ripped after I joined head-fi and got a clue), in FLAC, I want to purchase my music online and itunes seems the easiest choice.

If you downloading from itunes or amazon your only getting 256-Kbps. That is a long way from lossless. That is called lossy. Lossless will run some where around 1000Kbps. The only way to get lossless is by ripping a cd to your harddrive or download it from one of the few lossless sites like music giant.(limited selection and havent been able to get the site to work lately.) A good alternative which is what I do is order used cds from amazon for 4 -10 bucks which is cheaper than itunes and you can rip it to lossles/flac/wav and have a hard copy if something ever goes wrong with your computer. You can still browse amazon like the itune store but you can select to look for a used cd instead. You end up getting better quality for a cheaper price.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way to get lossless is by ripping a cd to your harddrive or download it from one of the few lossless sites like music giant.(limited selection and havent been able to get the site to work lately.)

HDGiants (Music Giants) filed for bankruptcy at the end of May. We'll have to wait and see if they can continue operations.

Jun 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 47
Quote:

HDGiants (Music Giants) filed for bankruptcy at the end of May. We'll have to wait and see if they can continue operations.

Thanks for the info, that explains a lot of things. bummer, it was of the best sites.

Jun 18, 2009 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sadly not!
iTunes Store sell lossy files, AAC @ 256kbps to be exact, and no Apple Lossless. Hopefully that change in the future though..

Jun 18, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info, that explains a lot of things. bummer, it was of the best sites.

It is a bummer. They were (are) one of the sites that I wanted to see succeed. Quality lossless music and services. They aimed for a more upscale clientele than me (They were based in Incline Village, did custom music libraries for multi-millionaires with $50,000 media systems). They also sold HD music online along with some subscription services.

Some of their music was DRMed. If they cease operations the people with DRMed music are probably SOL.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #23 of 47
If only amazon or itunes would step up to the plate and offer lossless, I would be a happy camper. Untill then, I will continue to rip away.

Jun 18, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #24 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by spideyman409 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just became a believer in FLAC....

The ALAC file was bigger and had a tiny bit bigger bitrate but there was better sound/instrument differentiation with the FLAC (ripped w/ EAC, playing through winamp). In "theory" there should be no difference, but I heard what I am still hearing. =/

Not to say you should listen to me vs. Krmathis who's been on these boards for a while, I'm simply posting what I hear.

+1 for FLAC =)

There is literally no difference in the sound file.

Jun 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #25 of 47
There might be a small difference since they both use different compresion techniques. Go with uncompressed wav if you really want to go lossless and its much easier on the processor/harddrive/battery because it isnt constantly decompressing the files on the fly.

Jun 19, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #27 of 47
I started out with FLAC. But in the endI ended up ripping all my CDs again in ALAC. Just because of a new IPOD 120GB Classic.

It's a matter of convinience. if you see yourself buying new ipods soon then start w/ alac. Rockbox plays alac relatively well too.
atsmile.gif

But if you won't touch Apple products FLAC would be very good as is. =)

Btw, I'd go w/ KingStyles' recommendations on CDs from amazon. It's so nice that its very cheap in the US to buy CDs online. So just follow that route. You can also sell the CDs bought to take back some cost later.
bigsmile_face.gif

Wish we had the same convinience here though.
redface.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #28 of 47
I use Real Audio Lossless (.ra) 705Kbps. Sounds exactly like the CD to me. Real Player converts everything to MP3 when I download music to my phone. I've never tried the other formats.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #29 of 47
I mainly have used Apple Lossless but most lossless downloads, in fact every lossless download i have ever found-over 300Ghz have been in FLAC. I have always converted them but now I am using Foobar and don't need to unless i put them on my ipod or want to burn a cd.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #30 of 47
I use FLAC myself. There should be no difference between the FLAC and Apple Lossless as far as audible sound is concerned.

The only reason I don't like Apple Lossless is mainly because it's an Apple creation.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back