FLAC on 6th Gen ipoD??
Nov 27, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
his the apple lossless codec any good?? also what program would be the best to do this with and how much time does it take on avg per song/album?

Hi Malakei,

Just use iTunes, if you can. Pop your cds in & choose iTunes to create ALAC files. I haven't had any problems with the sound. Unfortunately, I don't have an iPod, I have an iRiver (which uses CDexos ripped ogg files).

Nov 27, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

his the apple lossless codec any good?? also what program would be the best to do this with and how much time does it take on avg per song/album?

* Define good.
wink.gif

- Its lossless, so the sound quality are a non-issue.
- Software/hardware support, features, encoding time, .. differ between codecs though.

* I recommend Max for the encoding task.

* The encoding time depend on several factors, especially
- The cpu cycle power of your computer.
- Song/album length.

Dec 9, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #19 of 31
Been using DBA for converting to ALAC and it seems to be going well so far, i can actually tell a difference but its only at high volumes which i think is due to ALACs higher compression, or perhaps just isnt as good im not sure. Or perhaps a FLAC [if playable on an IPOD] would sound the same, however doesnt sound as distorted and muddled on my x5 via flac or computer via flac as alac on my ipod. we'll see if that changes with my headsix when i get it.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Been using DBA for converting to ALAC and it seems to be going well so far, i can actually tell a difference but its only at high volumes which i think is due to ALACs higher compression, or perhaps just isnt as good im not sure. Or perhaps a FLAC [if playable on an IPOD] would sound the same, however doesnt sound as distorted and muddled on my x5 via flac or computer via flac as alac on my ipod. we'll see if that changes with my headsix when i get it.

The result of decompressing a FLAC file and decompressing an ALAC file is exactly the same. If there is a difference in playback, then it's the software screwing something up.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #21 of 31
I think its just cuz there are two different players and the amp and dac in one is just better then the other, im also confident that flac and alac should sound the same on the computer.

Feb 24, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #24 of 31
Perhaps its time I pull my 5G iPod (30GB) out of the drawer and give Rockbox another try? Hmmm

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM Post #25 of 31
No support from flac is what's keeping me away from apple ipods. I've got maybe a couple of hundred cds I've personally ripped to flac, and transcoding or reripping from cd is going to be tedious or time consuming to say the least. I have a nice home set up but it would be nice to have some music available on the go - hence the ipod idea.

Any ideas? Maybe I should just rip the new cds I buy to ALAC once I get an ipod but that would mean I wouldn't have much to listen to.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #26 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No support from flac is what's keeping me away from apple ipods. I've got maybe a couple of hundred cds I've personally ripped to flac, and transcoding or reripping from cd is going to be tedious or time consuming to say the least. I have a nice home set up but it would be nice to have some music available on the go - hence the ipod idea.

Any ideas? Maybe I should just rip the new cds I buy to ALAC once I get an ipod but that would mean I wouldn't have much to listen to.

I never thought transcoding was too difficult a process. I guess it would depend upon the speed of the processor. I have duo core Pentium and it took me less than 5 hours to transcode about 600-650 cds worth to Alac. All in all it was just short of 6000 songs. Flac > Alac using dBpoweramp.

I simply chose the options (took 5 minutes or less), did a batch conversion for all, then put on automatic, started surfing on my Mac and came back later and all was done. It was easy enough for me. Way easier than encoding all from the start.

Feb 25, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #27 of 31
Well, as an ipod and itunes lover and user, I use ALAC. Now this said, I just need to say that I hate everything else mac. I use DBPowerAmp for the songs I had to convert to ALAC, and use itunes to rip new cds to it. There is no audible difference at all. And I like being able to use my ipod and itunes with it. I did one cd at a time for converting. It takes about one and a half minutes for one cd with a single core processor that it about 4 years old. So it should not take THAT long, depending on the amout of music you need to convert.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #29 of 31
lossless vs. lossless; sorry, but whoever hears a difference is hearing things. there simply isnt any room for variation as far as what is audible. thats like saying a compressed application isnt uncompressed the same; 'wow the red in my version of photoshop I RAR'd isnt quite the same as the original CD'.

Also; I dont know how much luck you'll have swapping your 6G for a 5.5. most people I know that have still got a 5 or 5.5G do so for a reason; and that is rockbox, IMOD/DIYMOD and actually IMO the DAC sounds far superior even before any modifications. I was sold a new/old stock 80gb 6G as an ipod video a while ago and its still in the clingwrap. not gonna open it either. its going on the chopping block. if I new it was a 6G there is no way I would have bought it. apple fully dropped the ball with that one IMO; the cirrus DAC is destroyed by the superior and natural sounding line-out of the ipod video.

Feb 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 31
Well, straight out of the iPod 6G my Shures are hiss-free, while the hiss is very noticable with my brothers 5G. In my eyes that's definitely an improvement, and I like the neutralness and the detail the 6G is giving me, since my SE530's are already plenty warm
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back