FLAC is brighter than WAV
Jun 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #46 of 284
The money analog is not meant to be directly related. It's just to show there are somethings which make a difference besides satisfying accounting which is like engineering in this case. Yes the computer system is highly controlled environment but it has a range of working parameters in which there are variances. Music playback is not a direct function of any of the subsystems. It's a results of various combinations of functions. You might say the interactions are significantly narrowed down but there are still infinite points between 1 to 2 vs. 1 to 5.

Another example. A band is a mix of instruments with specific functions. They can work within paramaters (frequency boundaries). You can identify the same songs being played (binary yes or no) but they are never played back the same.

While the data output is the same, it's a different process using FLAC. It's different software, different load, etc. The end results will be slightly different if playing back. Recording/storage will yield the same result.

You don't need to explain to me what digital is. You guys are correct in what you are saying. I'm just trying to state there's more to this than just being "digital". The world is more complex that just that. My examples provide something more tangible in general life where as speaking of things inside a computer is not as tactile.

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #48 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the decompression that makes it worse because it takes more CPU power = more watts = more jitter.

That makes no logical sense what so ever. Anyone with anyone computer knowledge would immediately recognize that.

The more I read your posts, the more you seem like a troll who is unwilling to listen to logic and reasoning, and just pollute these forums with more false knowledge for the newcomers to absorb.

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #49 of 284
Quote:

I'm converting all my FLACs to WAV as I'm writing this. I also found a WAV file inside one of the folders, I have done A/B-ing before but I didn't hear a difference so I kept using FLAC. That was 5 months ago.

But after further tweaking I have heard huge differences from things I haven't heard before, especially warm-up of the computer, a cold computer is masking the differences of tweaks for the computer.

After 12 hours of warm up I couldn't hear a difference between 1 vs 2 harddrives. After 24 hours the difference was subtle. After 36 hours it was more apparent, but the signature of the "cold" system was still added on top of the music, it was masking everything. A couple weeks warm-up is needed for it to sound neutral, the last time I tried it I heard nothing in front of the music.

Please don't starve yourself again to buy better cables for it.
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Purgatos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't starve yourself again to buy better cables for it.
frown.gif

I'm already using many Valhalla power cords to plug in my computer (PSU is in closet). The power cord made a bigger difference than the Valhalla digital cable.

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #52 of 284
Quote:

I'm already using many Valhalla power cords to plug in my computer (PSU is in closet). The power cord made a bigger difference than the Valhalla digital cable.

Ummm. why dont you sell all your gear and just buy a month's worth of concert tickets? That might solve ya prob!
wink.gif

Then once you're done, just get in the bed and go to sleep, or something..
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #53 of 284
Either this is all some massive wind up or patrick is only human alive who lacks any sort of objective brain power.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:28 AM Post #56 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While the data output is the same, it's a different process using FLAC. It's different software, different load, etc. The end results will be slightly different if playing back. Recording/storage will yield the same result.

How will the end results be different, and WHAT will be different? In order to really be taken seriously, and I mean this with all due respect, you've got to back it up with something credible or at least tangible. Making comparisons with completely unrelated scenarios or systems doesn't mean much.

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #58 of 284
He doesn't say anything about the quality only:

Quote:

its decoding overheads isn't ideal. Additional 2-3% CPU is high.

You really know how to get a discussion started patrick, its impressive how many people will spend time debating whether two identical files should sound the same or not (me include
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jun 8, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #59 of 284
Quote:

I'm converting all my FLACs to WAV as I'm writing this. I also found a WAV file inside one of the folders, I have done A/B-ing before but I didn't hear a difference so I kept using FLAC. That was 5 months ago.

But after further tweaking I have heard huge differences from things I haven't heard before, especially warm-up of the computer, a cold computer is masking the differences of tweaks for the computer.

After 12 hours of warm up I couldn't hear a difference between 1 vs 2 harddrives. After 24 hours the difference was subtle. After 36 hours it was more apparent, but the signature of the "cold" system was still added on top of the music, it was masking everything. A couple weeks warm-up is needed for it to sound neutral, the last time I tried it I heard nothing in front of the music.

Hmm..maybe you should add a "hairdryer mod", where a hairdrier would heat up your computer box until its at the optimal temperature. Of course, it'd be a little loud. But at least the air from the hairdryer wouldn't carry the same electrical charge that the cpu heat does, which that makes it sound muddier.

I think you should also eat more iron and wear more jewelery, so your body would absorb some of the extra electric charge that built up on your headphones. I tried this mod and my music is much clearer, I'm gonna experiment with eating copper, because I think it would conduct the electricity better.
Theoretically, putting magnets on my hard drive should absorb extra charge and help make it sound much better too, I'm going to go try that now.

I'm a geneos.
wink.gif

Jun 8, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #60 of 284
Flac is hard carbon copy of WAV, which means, they are basically same.

If I type "I like an apple" and save that document, zip it and unzip it, and it should be still "I like an apple," not "I lIKE An aPPlE" or other forms. Same goes to WAV and FLAC.

Probably your software has a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back