FLAC is brighter than WAV
Jun 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #226 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some guy over at Audio Asylum wrote a program to compare Flac to wav by looping soundcard spdif output into spdif input and comparing time domain and frequency domain errors. Just to add some more fuel to the bonfire...

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pc...s/2/21002.html

Wow, I didn't know that there are more than me who heard the truth! I found that FLAC was brighter by accident. When did the others find it?

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #227 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I didn't know that there are more than me who heard the truth! I found that FLAC was brighter by accident. When did the others find it?

What? Did you watch that clip??!

It showed FLAC had no deviations from the sound WAV produced.

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #229 of 284
Like I said before, if the computer isn't properly warmed up it's masking the differences between FLAC and WAV.

I doubt that test can even show the differences between power conditioner vs wall. It's the same as testing cables with measurement devices that can't even detect differences between amps.

The only thing that video did was making the belief of the opposing sides stronger.

Jun 15, 2007 at 6:50 AM Post #231 of 284
Quote:

Like I said before, if the computer isn't properly warmed up it's masking the differences between FLAC and WAV.

I doubt that test can even show the differences between power conditioner vs wall. It's the same as testing cables with measurement devices that can't even detect differences between amps.

The only thing that video did was making the belief of the opposing sides stronger.

You do realize most electronics function more efficiently when they are cool.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #232 of 284
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do realize most electronics function more efficiently when they are cool.

It's about the capacitors.

If the amp and DAC aren't warmed up 2 weeks they are masking the differences of the computer. If the computer isn't warmed up 2 days it's masking the differences between FLAC and WAV.

Everytime I turn off the computer for 5 minutes the low-level details are gone until it has been warmed up for 2+ days again. The difference is huge!

I made an experiment, amp and DAC were warmed up for 14 days, and computer for 2 days. I unplugged my amp and DAC for 7 minutes and all the low-level details were gone. Then I unplugged the computer for 5 minutes and didn't hear a difference at all when plugging the computer back in. The cold amp and DAC weren't revealing enough to show it!

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:35 AM Post #233 of 284
Quote:

It's about the capacitors.

If the amp and DAC aren't warmed up 2 weeks they are masking the differences of the computer. If the computer isn't warmed up 2 days it's masking the differences between FLAC and WAV.

Everytime I turn off the computer for 5 minutes the low-level details are gone until it has been warmed up for 2+ days again. The difference is huge!

I made an experiment, amp and DAC were warmed up for 14 days, and computer for 2 days. I unplugged my amp and DAC for 7 minutes and all the low-level details were gone. Then I unplugged the computer for 5 minutes and didn't hear a difference at all when plugging the computer back in. The cold amp and DAC weren't revealing enough to show it!

Here is the more probable scenario.

Since your computer is shoved full of paper most likely, it gets hot enough to cause errors, but not crashes. But since the heat buildup is gradual, it takes a few hours/day.

So instead of the cool computer "masking" the difference, the hot computer is causing errors in the decompression of the FLAC files.

Of course, this all assumes there actually is any difference. Which so far we have seen evidence to support there is NO difference. (bit comparison, the video) But yet you have not provided a single piece of evidence, you don't even claim to have done blind tests. Nor have you provided a single piece of reasoning that would explain your claims, that isn't based on your limited(and false) knowledge of electronics.

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:50 AM Post #234 of 284
Guys, just let this thread die...

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:50 PM Post #235 of 284
Patrick is just egging you guys on. Not sure why but this has gone beyond stupid.

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #237 of 284
I%20want%20to%20believe%20small.jpg

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #239 of 284
Quote:

I have a Cary 303/300 that I use for transport and it's clearly better than my tweaked computer + 7 harddrives, there is no comparison. But when the computer has only 1 harddrive drive running, it's better than the Cary. It's very easy to flip the switch of my DAC1. It's easy to confirm the differences from tweaks, I have done it for a long time. Everytime I switched from Cary to computer I complained of fatigue from the edginess, but not anymore.
By using tweaks I have given Cary the edgiest sound signature possible (Toslink, Feet of Silence, nude Valhalla), and I have made my computer the smoothest possible (Magix, ERS Paper). If people can't hear it, then there's a problem.

Quote:

I'm using Toslink now. But before that I used Nordost Valhalla AES/EBU with 192kHz upsampling, I used that for half a year. Highs were crazy.
But I don't like inserting the CD before I want to listen. Even when Cary was better I ended up listening to mp3's on the computer 99% of the time.

So then I started tweaking the computer to close the gap, I found out that Cary was always 2 steps ahead of the computer when both were using the same tweaks. I could plug the Cary into the wall and it sounded better than computer into Ultimate Outlet etc.

But back then I didn't realize the harddrives mattered. I wonder what the results would have been if I wasn't ignorant.

CD players have problems, vibration from the transformers and the spinning disc. With the computer the problem is solved. I have the PSU isolated from the mainboard. I have the harddrive on the floor on top of foam, I tried Magix under the harddrive but didn't hear a difference. Using Magix under mainboard and PSU is good enough.

With the Cary 303/300 I used 96kHz upsampling with Toslink cable and it sounded about the same as Nordost Valhalla digital cable with 44.1kHz from computer.

The computer always used a twice longer Valhalla power cord, so it gave more coloration, I believe that's why I liked the computer more than Cary.

My Cary has been unplugged for a couple weeks now because I needed its Valhalla power cord so I could add another power conditioner for my computer.

My computer was using 2m Valhalla - Ultimate Outlet - 50cm Valhalla - P300 Power Plant - 1m Valhalla - computer

Today I replaced the computer with 1m Valhalla - Ultimate Outlet - 50cm Valhalla - P300 Power Plant - 2m Valhalla - Cary 303/300

I also moved the Valhalla digital cable and Magix levitation feet to the Cary. I also turned on 192kHz upsampling. Now the Cary sounds better than ever, with the exact same tweaks the Cary sounds smoother than computer! And the extra smoothness boost from 192kHz increases the gap even more!

The reduction of jitter that upsampling makes seems to be bigger than any other tweak, it compensates for the spinning disc. I don't want computer for audio anymore, it's too expensive to get it good, and programs are too slow. With too little RAM the programs keep quitting by themselves, it's annoying. I need to keep staring at the RAM usage which stays around 98%. I don't see the point of using computer as transport if even moving the mouse gives edgier sound. I will use my Cary 303/300 as transport instead, no problems then. I'm moving my mouse now and nothing happens, Cary stays smooth and consistent no matter what I do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back