FLAC file questions?
Jan 23, 2013 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheVillain

New Head-Fier
Hello guys, im a newbie here so please bare with me, if i break any forum rules or something, thanks 
smile.gif

Anyways, i have a question. How can i truly listen to FLAC files? 

Correct me if im wrong, but i believe i need the correct
headphones, the file (FLAC) and a sound card maybe? I have a HP Dv7-7212nr
laptop with Beats Audio. I don't think the beats audio helps but was wondering maybe?
though i doubt it. If not, what are some options that i have or can buy so i can fix it and truly listen to FLAC. Also, what are the headphones that will allow me to truly listen to FLAC files? are they based on Frequency responses or what not? 

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 11
You need a music player that plays FLAC. That's it.
Foobar2000
Musicbee
...etc

If your question is "why do my flac files sound terrible", that's different.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #3 of 11
The on-board sound should be adequate and get you listening, and it will work with Foobar, J River Media Center, Media Monkey, etc.
There should also be controls in your system for the Beats Audio, where you can adjust or eliminate enhancements.

Suggest you use WASAPI, ASIO, or Direct Sound as the Playback choice int he software, which will pretty much do the rest for you.

Jan 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 11

laptop with Beats Audio. I don't think the beats audio helps but was wondering maybe?
though i doubt it. If not, what are some options that i have or can buy so i can fix it and truly listen to FLAC. Also, what are the headphones that will allow me to truly listen to FLAC files? are they based on Frequency responses or what not? 

• Any headphones will do.
  • Your laptop already has sound hardware (a "sound card".)
  • You need software which will play FLAC files. I like foobar2000, but it's not the only player available.
  • For information about the encoding used in FLAC files, I recommend the Hydrogen Audio site.

Jan 23, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 11
I reco getting a DAC, one of the FIIO will suit your needs. It will do the job your onboard sound card tries to do. As for playing the FLAC file, I reco Capricio for the iPhone and there are loads of apps for windows FOOBAR2000.

Jan 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Hello guys, im a newbie here so please bare with me, if i break any forum rules or something, thanks 
smile.gif

When you say "truly listen to flac", are you asking about how you can simply listen to them or are you asking how you can listen to them to the with the best sound quality possible? (Your use of the word truly is why I'm asking) If you just want to be able to listen to them, the responses already given are helpful. If you want to hear them with the best sound quality possible, then the next question has to be : How much money do you have to spend? 
beerchug.gif

Jan 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #7 of 11
Etree.org has great information and links to flac players/converters. Headphones don't need any particular file type, except in the sense that the better your equipment in general, the less forgiving it Is of bad sounding source material.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jan 23, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

When you say "truly listen to flac", are you asking about how you can simply listen to them or are you asking how you can listen to them to the with the best sound quality possible? (Your use of the word truly is why I'm asking) If you just want to be able to listen to them, the responses already given are helpful. If you want to hear them with the best sound quality possible, then the next question has to be : How much money do you have to spend? 
beerchug.gif

Jesus Christ... Glad someone else caught what I was trying to say, TRULY like best quality. Holy ****,  Im well aware i can simple download VLC and use any headphones to listen FLAC files, sheesh lol 

Anyways, thanks for the reply guys making me feel all noobish and shet xD

But yeah, @Flatline, I'm not sure really... 
confused.gif
 i guess 500 at most or maybe a little more..idk.? I'm not really in the position to waste a lot of money really... but im really a music junkie, so i might make an exception :D. but definitely I like to play it from my laptop. That's why i was wondering if there was a usb adapter that i can plugin or something like that, that would allow me to TRULY, fully, to the extend of highest quality that FLAC can play. And I'm not interested on speakers for it cuss I believe that would be more expensive than getting a headphone that would give me the best quality for FLAC.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #9 of 11
TheVillain, your wording is what is causing the confusion. First you need to figure out what headphones you want to use to listen to music (open or closed, fullsize or portable). Then the type of sound you are looking for (laid back, aggressive, smooth, fun, neutral). After you find your headphone, then you can ask about a DAC and/or amplifier to compliment your headphones to give you higher sound quality. If you want the best sound quality, which is subjective, you could spend $20 - $8000.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #10 of 11
Alrighty, if you want to get started strong you are going to need a DAC, and and amp, and if you need them a new set of headphones. I would recommend the Magni Modi stack from Schiit to get started, about $200 for a reasonable beginner set up, with great sound quality. For headphones it would depend on your music preference, but in the $300 price range there are many great choices in headphones so you should be able to find a pair that suits your taste. If you really are looking for THE BEST sound, you have a LONG way to go, but everyone starts somewhere. Good luck, and sorry about your wallet :)

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:29 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Jesus Christ... Glad someone else caught what I was trying to say, TRULY like best quality. Holy ****,  Im well aware i can simple download VLC and use any headphones to listen FLAC files, sheesh lol 

Anyways, thanks for the reply guys making me feel all noobish and shet xD

But yeah, @Flatline, I'm not sure really... 
confused.gif
 i guess 500 at most or maybe a little more..idk.? I'm not really in the position to waste a lot of money really... but im really a music junkie, so i might make an exception :D. but definitely I like to play it from my laptop. That's why i was wondering if there was a usb adapter that i can plugin or something like that, that would allow me to TRULY, fully, to the extend of highest quality that FLAC can play. And I'm not interested on speakers for it cuss I believe that would be more expensive than getting a headphone that would give me the best quality for FLAC.

The next advice I would give is to define your preferred sound signature. Being a classic jazzhead personally, I prefer warm and colored, with crisp smooth bass, forward mids, and rolled off highs. Knowing what you want is important! Not knowing is like driving somewhere without a destination - you can never know when you get "there".  One of my portatble setups is the Cowon C2 with Klipsch x10i's. Between Cowons amazing hardware based EQ, and the Klipsch's personality, they make a great jazz combo - FOR ME. So - decide where you want to go sonically, then try to map a way to get there. Or, post back with a clearly defined sonic goal, and you're sure to get great input from people on this board.

EDIT - meant to add that the Cowon C2 supports FLAC, which is my personal preference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back