FLAC Encoder Settings - - - oh dearly dearly me !
Jun 29, 2011 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CardasHD650

Head-Fier
Hi guy's,

Dropped a bit of a clanger here, copied over 20 CD’s into FLAC.... however, only just noticed I’ve copied them all on Level 5 FLAC Encoder Settings, rather than a higher one!

My question is; what’s the best one to use? Lossless Level 8 (Highest)? OR; Lossless Uncompressed? Is there much of a difference between the two in their sounds?

I’d be very grateful if you could answer asap please – Many Many Thanks !

Jun 29, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 11
FLAC is lossless.
There is no relationship between the compression ratio and the sound quality because the content is lossless all of the time.
The compression factor only say about how much time (computer resources) FLAC might use to calculate the best possible compression.
0=no time so no compression
8= maximum time so maximum compression.
5= commonly used value as the best compromise between the use of resources and compression.

A simple test: take a track you have already ripped to 5 but this time rip it using 8.
You will notice a small decrease in file size.

Rip it using 0 and compare 0, 5 and 8 in a (unsighted) listening test.
Highly unlikely you will hear any difference at all..

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 11
Cheers mate,

Actually done this before with level 5 to level 8 on the same tune.

I don't think it were a placebo effect, but  it did sound slightly better.

I'll do a few more tests now - and report back a little later!

Thanks again.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 11
it is impossible to hear a difference for there is none.

stick with level 5 compression.
level 6 or higher will take much longer but will only save you some few kilobytes.

one more time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lossless
"Lossless data compression is a class of data compression algorithms that allows the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data"
what would this mean?
there is no difference that's why it is impossible to hear a difference. 
end of discussion

Jun 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 11
Well that's an interesting fact for the same song - like you both say tbh:

Lossless Level 1 > Size 22.32 MB > 27% Compressed = 1.411 kbps
Lossless Level 5 > Size 20.75 MB > 32% Compressed = 1.411 kbps
Lossless Level 8 > Size 20.59 MB > 33% Compressed = 1.411 kbps

Conclusion > LoL just use level one :D

@Cpt5llmjlm I'd just leave it with L8 mate going off the comparisons .

Thanks again. :)

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I've had that same concern. A lot of my music was ripped at level 8 FLAC, of there is no quality increase do you guys recommend putting it to level 5? I can rerip everything.

Nothing is lost during compression, the file is decompressed on the fly and delivered to your ears at its original, uncompressed bit rate. The higher the compression rate, the longer it takes to open the file, although with the current hardware it really doesn't matter.

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 11
I used to do level 8 on everything, and then the Squeezebox Touch entered my life and it taught me that Level 5 uses less processor resources to decode. So I now do level 5 on everything.  I am amused that someone believes they can hear a difference between Level whatever and level whatever. To that person I would offer a special magic frog figurine that can scientifically be proven to remove money from your supply while offering mysterious musical enhancement. Now only $1499.00.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 11
Regardless of the compression level, the audio data remains absolutely the same, anyway it is reconverted to raw audio data during playback. If you really want to check, compress at level 1, 5, 8 and then reconvert to wav and compare the resulting audio data: absolutely identical!

As to how FLAC achieves different levels of compression while maintaining the same data?The gist of it is that compression works by finding the redundant data within a file and exploiting this redundancy to write the exact same information with fewer words, now there are different algorithms for finding redundant information, the more effective ones are also more calculation-heavy, trading file space for heavier CPU load, that's how different level of compression exist. But in the end, FLAC is lossles, with exactly mean that the information is strictly the same for the compressed file (regardless of the compression level) and the original file.

Finally with modern CPUs, level 8 compression is far far from being to CPU intensive to use.

Jun 30, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #11 of 11
just helping to beat the dead horse with a stick, but flac is lossless. the only difference between encoding "levels" is the amount of space the file takes up. bitwise, it is a 100% perfect representation of the data that was on the CD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back