Flac Conversion to 320kbps mp3?
Mar 27, 2016 at 5:45 AM Post #50 of 51
  Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do intent to convert FLAC to MP3 320 kbps why don't you copy the FLACs and convert the copies? If you already did sorry. Anyway using that method saves your original FLACs.

FlacSquisher does save the original FLACs. You specify the directory that contains your Flacs, and the directory you want the converted files to go. It converts the files while keeping the originals intact. In my case, it means that if a new version of the encoder is released that provides better quality at the same bitrate, I can just delete my lossy folder, hit "Encode", and walk away.
  Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this isn't considered ressurecting a thread that had been expired, but this has just been linked to.

UNCHabo, does your programme convert to LAME MP3, and is there an ubuntu version, or just windows?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

There's only one version, but since it's a .NET program, you can run FlacSquisher in Ubuntu using the "Mono" package. The main thing is that under Linux you'll have to change the paths to the encoders -- for instance, instead of "C:\Program Files\FlacSquisher\oggenc.exe", you'll need to point it to where oggenc is on your system, like "/usr/bin/oggenc".

I wrote this up a while ago; the information is out-of-date. That I know of, FlacSquisher no longer crashes in Mono:
FlacSquisher - A Windows Audio Conversion Utility

However, I still haven't tested whether FlacSquisher will successfully run Lame in Linux. I'll do that soon, along with fixing some other bugs.

I do not wish to keep Flac and Mp3 copies on Disk. I can use Flac via MusicBee via PC etc, but lets say I want small MP3s on iOS or other devices e.g. Automotive/ Portables mp3's take less space and are more universally playable. 

So, an on the fly converter that does this fast & free / inexpensive would be great. - It would be better if it worked from within MusicBee as an add-on :) 

I asked this question earlier today in a thread called Flac to MP3 - What is the best free software?
Someone said Foobar. Why not use Foobar? (reading only the OP of this thread I don't understand)

Anyways my main question right now regards converting Flac to 320kbps MP3 using Foobar:

Should I use or downlaod any DSPs?

Interesting. I wish things were less complex :) 

Jul 15, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #51 of 51
Sorry for the delayed responses everyone...

Quote:
  I have tried to "squish" my flac library three times and I have come up with errors each time. I think the program is fantastic, and I probably just need the command to fix it, but I have several artists/.albums with folders within subsequent folders (folder inception), and I think flacsquisher gives up looking for flac files after two folders, and leaves the flac files it didn't find as flac format. So the folder I made for converted flac still has tons of flac along with the Mp3's it made. Is there something I can enter into the command line before I encode or is this something you could add as an improvement? Maybe I am way off, how do I get this 8000 file library of flac into 320kbps Mp3?

Chances are FlacSquisher hit a bug that caused the encoding thread to crash. I've fixed a few bugs since the time you posted this, so maybe it'll work now? If not please give me details about the first item it didn't encode.

Flacsquisher is great
Let me ask this though
If my Flac is 44.1 kHz, would it be bad to convert to 48 kHz when making 320kbps mp3?

You'd gain no benefit, so I don't see the point. Maybe if your MP3 player was buggy and couldn't handle 44.1kHz correctly. For sound quality though, you're best off leaving the sample rate alone.

Please make it portable!

By default Sourceforge will direct you to the installer, but you can find a standalone file in each release. For instance, in the 1.3.6 release you can get the file FlacSquisher-1.3.6.exe. Combine that with the proper encoders, and you have a portable version. Alternatively, you can take the installer and unzip it using a program like 7zip that can decompress installers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back