Flac Conversion to 320kbps mp3?
Jan 8, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #31 of 51
If you do intent to convert FLAC to MP3 320 kbps why don't you copy the FLACs and convert the copies? If you already did sorry. Anyway using that method saves your original FLACs.

Jan 9, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by UNHchabo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please excuse the fact that I just registered, too; I've been lurking Head-Fi for a while now.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I may shamelessly plug: I wrote a free and open-source program that sounds like it will suit your needs perfectly:
FlacSquisher | Get FlacSquisher at SourceForge.net

Run the program, select MP3 encoding, change the command-line to "-b 320", and you're good to go.

Personally, I rip to FLAC with EAC, and listen to the Flacs when I'm at home, then I use FlacSquisher to convert the Flacs to Oggs so I can listen to them on my Rockbox'd Sansa.

I hope it helps!

Very useful little program. I used it just tonight to convert some FLAC files to V0 MP3. Excellent job. Saved me the $36 that I would have paid for dbPowerAmp's converter with a bunch of features I won't use. Thanks a bunch!

Jan 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #33 of 51
I hope this isn't considered ressurecting a thread that had been expired, but this has just been linked to.

UNCHabo, does your programme convert to LAME MP3, and is there an ubuntu version, or just windows?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do intent to convert FLAC to MP3 320 kbps why don't you copy the FLACs and convert the copies? If you already did sorry. Anyway using that method saves your original FLACs.

FlacSquisher does save the original FLACs. You specify the directory that contains your Flacs, and the directory you want the converted files to go. It converts the files while keeping the originals intact. In my case, it means that if a new version of the encoder is released that provides better quality at the same bitrate, I can just delete my lossy folder, hit "Encode", and walk away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EddieE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this isn't considered ressurecting a thread that had been expired, but this has just been linked to.

UNCHabo, does your programme convert to LAME MP3, and is there an ubuntu version, or just windows?

Thanks.
smily_headphones1.gif

There's only one version, but since it's a .NET program, you can run FlacSquisher in Ubuntu using the "Mono" package. The main thing is that under Linux you'll have to change the paths to the encoders -- for instance, instead of "C:\Program Files\FlacSquisher\oggenc.exe", you'll need to point it to where oggenc is on your system, like "/usr/bin/oggenc".

I wrote this up a while ago; the information is out-of-date. That I know of, FlacSquisher no longer crashes in Mono:
FlacSquisher - A Windows Audio Conversion Utility

However, I still haven't tested whether FlacSquisher will successfully run Lame in Linux. I'll do that soon, along with fixing some other bugs.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #36 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deep Funk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm tempted by FLAC-Squisher. Is it stable and reliable?

It's pretty stable; even if something goes wrong, the worst that I can expect will happen is you might have some Flac files that were never encoded. If you do encounter a bug, let me know, and I'll work on fixing it.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #37 of 51
I'm still considering using it. My music collection has yet to be entirely ripped to my PC and I have to figure out EAC.

Sep 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #38 of 51
I asked this question earlier today in a thread called Flac to MP3 - What is the best free software?
Someone said Foobar. Why not use Foobar? (reading only the OP of this thread I don't understand)

Anyways my main question right now regards converting Flac to 320kbps MP3 using Foobar:

Should I use or downlaod any DSPs?

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #39 of 51
No DSP, what would be the point in using a DSP in the conversion? If you need a DSP you can still reapply them during playback, no need to have irremediably tweaked files.

Sep 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #40 of 51
i don't know, I thought there might be one I could download that is a good all around natural tweak to put on every mp3. i don't know if there is any dsps out there like that (you can download more from foobar's website for instance)

Sep 12, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #41 of 51
There is no such DSP, no matter what advertisements tell you. Should you speak to a mastering engineering, there is no recipe guaranteed to get you a good master, it all depends on the original mixed material and the effects you want to achieve. It's about the same when converting to a lossy format, there's no general recipe to improve the result, the best you can do is trusting that the engineers and scientist who developed the format knew psychoacoustics well enough so that the result stays faithful to the original.

If you want a better result, you should just change format, mpc, hybrid wavpack, ogg, and aac are all supposed to give a better result than mp3, no one has managed to rank those reliably at high bitrates though, I would advise using aac since the format is the most widely spread after mp3.

PS: to convet to aac with foobar you need to download the nero encoder, it's freeware for personal use.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #42 of 51
Quote:
Please excuse the fact that I just registered, too; I've been lurking Head-Fi for a while now.
smily_headphones1.gif

If I may shamelessly plug: I wrote a free and open-source program that sounds like it will suit your needs perfectly:
FlacSquisher | Get FlacSquisher at SourceForge.net

Run the program, select MP3 encoding, change the command-line to "-b 320", and you're good to go.

Personally, I rip to FLAC with EAC, and listen to the Flacs when I'm at home, then I use FlacSquisher to convert the Flacs to Oggs so I can listen to them on my Rockbox'd Sansa.

I hope it helps!

Awesome thread + post, I'll check this out.

Jan 26, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #44 of 51
I have tried to "squish" my flac library three times and I have come up with errors each time. I think the program is fantastic, and I probably just need the command to fix it, but I have several artists/.albums with folders within subsequent folders (folder inception), and I think flacsquisher gives up looking for flac files after two folders, and leaves the flac files it didn't find as flac format. So the folder I made for converted flac still has tons of flac along with the Mp3's it made. Is there something I can enter into the command line before I encode or is this something you could add as an improvement? Maybe I am way off, how do I get this 8000 file library of flac into 320kbps Mp3?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back