Fixing/Replacing two year old Sennheiser HD 280 pro
Nov 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SalkinZ

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I bought my Sennheiser HD 280 pro roughly two years ago when I moved into an apartment. I got them during a labor day sale and haven't looked back. I've come to appreciate higher quality music, speakers and headphones as a result and have been using them 2-8 hours daily. However, the 3.5 mm jack seems to be misbehaving and has been getting worse over the last few months, from 'off' in one position to 'off' in all positions but one (when made to lean in any certain direction). It's quite annoying and unless I remain more or less motionless at my computer I cannot really use them. I was wondering how easy it is to replace the jack or whether I should be looking for a similar or slightly better pair of headphones in the $100-$200 range. Currently the Sennheiser HD 280 pro seem to be going for $100 on Newegg (I think I paid $80-$90).

I would use any replacement extremely frequently and as of now am only hooking them up to two sources regularly: my old Nokia 5800 XpressMusic and my Envy14 (Beats/foobar2000). However I may replace the phone in the next year and I may also revive my old desktop with new and flashy innards. I don't plan on using a big stereo, any amps or tables in the next few years at any high frequency. I enjoy pretty much everything from classic&instrumental to 30-60 old timers and 70-80s rock to European minimal. Bass is also quite important to me as well as detail. Not a big fan of radio pop, screamo or rap in general.

I like the closed nature of the 280s and they're comfortable too. However, I am open to other kinds of headphones except maybe the ones you stick into your ears as I find them painful after a while and they seem to fall out a lot. I don't really want anything bigger than the 280s though either.

I've read a few reviews and looked around a little, but with the plethora of headphones I'm both confused and lost.

Much thanks in advance,

SZ

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 3
If you like the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro sound, but really think the design is fragile, you should look into a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones.  I own a pair and they were my first mid-fi headphone.  They have lasted many many years and are still in great shape.  Each ear cup swivels, the headphone is nicely sized, and the padding materials soft much like the 280 Pro.  They are always me immediate replacement for 280 Pro owners.

Another headphone worth mentioning below $200 is the beyerdynamic Custom One Pro.
http://www.headphone.com/headphones/beyerdynamic-custom-one-pro.php

They are receiving excellent reviews and have an adjustable bass boost which is a very nice feature for a headphone.  If you like a little more bass the Custome One Pro may be just for you.  I have not personally heard them so I cannot comment on their sound signature.

The least expensive fix will be to simply replace the jack.  If you have soldered anything in the past replacing a jack is pretty simple as long as you buy one that can be easily soldered back on.

There are several videos out there on how to do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gewo2oLa594

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32rMoCEZ8c

You will want to buy a stereo jack plug.  If the wiring has 4 wires you will tie the two ground wires together and then solder the left and right channels as needed.

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Hey, thanks for the quick response! I've looked at some reviews and really like what I'm hearing about the Audio Technica ATH-M50. Thanks for the videos, they're helpful too. I do have a few questions though:

Are the ATH-M50 much more heavy than the 280s?
I haven't been able to find a replacement cable for the 280s for under $40... which is a little steep for two year old $80 headphones.
As for the jack itself I haven't soldered anything in many years and don't have the equipment to do so. However I've felt I should have one for a while now but know little to nothing about them.

I've found prices ranging from $90-160 for the ATH-M50s and $170 for the white ones which I'm not sure I like yet. Again, I don't know where to purchase them since I live in Germany. I plan on buying them in the US and having them shipped to a relative in-country who will be coming to Germany in a few weeks, as they will most likely be half the price (HD 280 pro are around $160 here).

Edit: Audio Technica ATH-M50 - 284g and the HD 280 Pro - 285g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back