Fixing a CD player
Mar 7, 2006 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Target1

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking of purchasing a CD player that is in fine condition, except for the fact that it no longer plays music. Its a Cambridge d500se. The seller claims that its simply a resistor that has gone out somehwere, and that one should be able to fix it pretty easily and cheaply, but I'm worried that this is an oversimplification of the problem. Does anyone have any advice here. I really like the looks of a project, but I don't want to plunk down money only to have a box that I can't fix, and then have to pay another $100 to have a really tech fix it.

Target

Mar 7, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by target1
except for the fact that it no longer plays music

Does it read the disc (load, display # tracks, etc.)? If not, its probably the laser... yer not gonna fix that with a "resistor that has gone out somehwere"

Mar 7, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 6
If you can get the schematic/service manual for the player and are comfortable working with it, then I would consider it if you have test equipment (DMM). It may be something easy such as power supply caps, etc.

Mar 7, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #5 of 6
Caution man.Resistors do not "go bad" or wear out but burn up because there is a problem somewhere else and that usually a dead short.

a resistor is not more than an impediment to voltage (resists) so other than heat buildup can not go bad ever and heat buildup means something is not right elsewhere.This may be a bargain or it may also be a servicing nightmare if you do not have the skills/equipment to totally trace/test the circuits involved

Users who are viewing this thread

Back