FIXED (please delete)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

riverground

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey there awesome people at head-fi,

So just 2 nights ago while attempting to clean the earphones, I was just taking off the ear-tips and then suddenly the nozzle on the left earpiece cracked and broke off from the rest of the earphone by less than a millimetre maybe.

So I contacted JH Audio and they just told me that they don't service the first gen Laylas nor the full metal jacket ones any longer. They told me that I could get a discounted price on a new pair of IEMs but the price was still steep for me at the moment.

Do you guys have any tips or recommendations on a work around?

Thank you,

Matz

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #2 of 10
What outer ear-tips are you using?
Can you still get them to slide over the thick, remaining outermost part of the stem, and slide all in on the remaining stem?
Would there still be a problem?
If there still is a problem, you could find some foam-tips that fit, and are thick enough (and deep enough), to cover the remaining stem and still some (foam-tips with a plastic/rubber core).
Then just remove the foam, clean the tube, and put it over the stem.
Then find new ear-tips that fit over the new thicker "stem"!
I have not broken any stems like this yet, but have used this method to make new ear tips meant for thicker stems, to fit over IEMs with slim stems.
Works great!
Thicker/wider ear-tips do change the sound slightly, not necessarily in the wrong direction
Also longer/shorter stems change the sound slightly.
. Good luck!

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 10
What outer ear-tips are you using?
Can you still get them to slide over the thick, remaining outermost part of the stem, and slide all in on the remaining stem?
Would there still be a problem?
If there still is a problem, you could find some foam-tips that fit, and are thick enough (and deep enough), to cover the remaining stem and still some (foam-tips with a plastic/rubber core).
Then just remove the foam, clean the tube, and put it over the stem.
Then find new ear-tips that fit over the new thicker "stem"!
I have not broken any stems like this yet, but have used this method to make new ear tips meant for thicker stems, to fit over IEMs with slim stems.
Works great!
Thicker/wider ear-tips do change the sound slightly, not necessarily in the wrong direction
Also longer/shorter stems change the sound slightly.
. Good luck!
I'm using SpinFits on these, unfortunately there's not enough stem left for me to even slide thicker tips. and the stem is really loose now, so I'm scared to put any more pressure on it. I was thinking of just using carbon fiber glue but idk if that would do something on the internals.

Feb 28, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 10
By the photos you have shown, and your description, only a very short piece of the stem is broken off?
The stem is the part that is opaque, all the way down to the housing of the IEM.
So why do you feel this is not enough for the Spinfits to slide over and down, and stay put?

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Is the stem loose from the housing?
It is actually very loose. it pretty much got separated from the housing. The photos don't really show it well.

Feb 28, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 10
Feb 28, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #9 of 10
If you could move it out without breaking anything, so you could clean the surfaces between the stem and the housing.
Use cleaning containing alcohol / spirits, not anything that will etch / soften plastics.
Then carefully glue together with two components Araldit or similar.
Never use Super glue!
Most Super glues contains cyanacrylate , which does affect plastics!
After that, your stem can be mended as in my first post.

Mar 2, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #10 of 10
If you could move it out without breaking anything, so you could clean the surfaces between the stem and the housing.
Use cleaning containing alcohol / spirits, not anything that will etch / soften plastics.
Then carefully glue together with two components Araldit or similar.
Never use Super glue!
Most Super glues contains cyanacrylate , which does affect plastics!
After that, your stem can be mended as in my first post.
Thanks, I'll try that method out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back