Fixed or variable output connecting a DAC to an AMP
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tano

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I just bought an Schiit Asgard 3 to use it with my Marantz HD DAC1 and the marantz has fixed and variable output to connect it to the Asgard 3. What would be the best option? After a few hours trying I get the best results using the fixed output and controlling the volume with the amp knob. If I use the variable output in the marantz and I touch the gain on it and use medium or high (in the DAC) it automatically distorts in the amp. Should I use it on variable leaving the DAC in low gain with Max volume and control it in the amp or should I stick with the fixed output?
Thanks in advance.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 6
If you don't control volume at the amp you risk destroying your amp, your headphones, and your brain.

Use the DAC and all sources at fixed output and always control volume at the amp.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Yes use the fixed output to a headphone amp the variable output is best used for powered speakers.

Apr 6, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 6
If you don't control volume at the amp you risk destroying your amp, your headphones, and your brain.

Use the DAC and all sources at fixed output and always control volume at the amp.
Haha, thanks for the quick reply. No risk for the amp or my brain using both of the outputs because you are able to control the volume with both the DAC and AMP in variable mode, and with fixed you just use the AMP knob. But I guess it's more logical to pass the full signal to the amp and control it there.

Apr 6, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 6
well i adjust the fixed volume a little, treat it as a level of saturation. i want it high but not to high, then adjust via gain and volume to my HP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back