fix scratched cd's, increase performance
May 2, 2010 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
i do not know if everyone already knows this.

i have had great results fixing scratched cd's. i have also realised a sound quality improvement. all for cheap.

first you need "scratch out" and a fine leather chamois from an automotive parts store. put a dime size of the scratchout on the chamois and rub it together to work it in the chamois. then place the cd on a piece of cork(playing side up) available at a arts and crafts store. this is so it will not move around and scratch it more. take the chamois and and gently rub the cd side to side. only rub in one direction and never in a circular motion!

now you need a "fabulustre cloth" from a jewlers supply house. use only the red cloth and rub the cd gently again in a side to side motion as above. do not use the cream color cloth. this will allow the laser light to penetrate the plastic more accurately. better than the green marker trick imo. by making a perfect surface it will be easier for the laser to read.

you can get all of this on the internet with a google search. even if your cd's are not scratched the fabulustre is a nice cheap tweak. it will do thousands of cd''s. it will be handy for many other things as well. like scratched metal,furniture,plastic-resin items and swirl marks on your car.

i was just fixing a few cd's and thought i'd share this. i apologize if this has been discussed already.

music_man

May 4, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 11
You're an idiot, CDs are a digital medium, the only changes in sound quality are going to be in the digital to analog conversion. Scratches can make CDs skip, that's it. 1s and 0s, thats it.

May 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by iunno /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're an idiot, CDs are a digital medium, the only changes in sound quality are going to be in the digital to analog conversion. Scratches can make CDs skip, that's it. 1s and 0s, thats it.

You are ignorant.

May 4, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are ignorant.

indeed.

May 4, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 11
music_man, thanks a lot for this detailed info on how to fix scratched cd's, and for sharing what product to use. this will come handy indeed.
after reading some of the comments at Amazon left by users of "scratch out" a few could have benefit from this info. cheers
smile_phones.gif

May 5, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Smooth Peanut Butter also works. Dont use crunchy.
wink.gif

iunno- Also, name-calling is against Head-Fi rules.
If you dont agree, then just say that you dont agree and why, but no name-calling.
The OP was just trying to be a helpful contributer.

Nowyunno!
wink.gif

May 24, 2010 at 8:55 PM Post #8 of 11
Thanks to all.  I look forward to trying the music_man solution on a few more damaged CDs and the song solution on light scratches.  Think I will skip the Skippy for now. 

May 25, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #11 of 11
I agree with iunno(although the name calling was uncalled for), you are just preventing it from skipping if the laser is weak.  You cannot improve sound quality from fixing scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back