"Fix" CD3000's treble wierdness?
Apr 13, 2004 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

Headphoneus Supremus
In running some tests and 20hz-20khz sweeps and such.. I noticed the mid-to-upper treble is extremely lacking on the CD3K. I think this probably puts (for our brains) an emphasis on the highest treble, hence the "harshness" and "brightness" people associate with the CD3K.

Is there some way to make them more flat in the treble frequencies? I like the CD3K, but their lack of bass detail and wierdness with treble is bothering me.

I've been discussing with someone doing a replacement cord for the CD3K, could that "fix" the treble (so i could hear what it sounds like, i'm not assuming it will instantly sound better), or is it more likely the drivers themselves?

If it is the drivers.. what options do I have? As mentioned in a couple of my other posts/threads, I haven't really heard a headphone I like as much as the CD3K, so I can't just magically switch over to the K1000s or something... blarg.

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #2 of 58
Cable replacement probably won't comensate for inherent characterisitics in a headphone however you can't know for sure until you give it a shot. I have tried the CD3K's a few times and I'm not a fan--they don't sound right to my ears. Have you tried Grados or Stax?

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 58
Just be careful if you decide to make a new cable. I contacted Sony about a replacement cable a few months back and it was $177.00.

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #4 of 58
blessingx- Well i'm not going to have Sony make the cable, that's for sure
very_evil_smiley.gif

Canman- ehhh.. to these ears, the Grados sounded flat and muffled. Granted, that's hearing one type of Grado phones, on one system at a Meet, but the sound was bad enough that I'm apprehensive about hearing Grados again...
eek.gif

At the Seattle Meet I also heard a Meridian/KGSS/Omega II setup. It was alright, I'm not sure if it was my cup of tea though, I much preferred the Orpheus on that source/amp.

Apr 13, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #6 of 58
This is really annoying, because as mentioned.. overall the CD3K are my "favorite" phones.. but this deal with treble, and the lack of detailed bass is really bothering me... blarg. Maybe i'll just have to settle with a certain IC that roll off the treble or something. hrm.

As for the bass... i dunno, heh.

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 58
Well i've been noticing these things on both my modded RME and EMU.. and consider both things are reasons people avoided the CD3K I was assuming it's inherent to the cans.. but perhaps it might change with proper source/amp, who knows.

I'm not going to jump into anything since i havne't heard one of these sources fully modded, or my V2SE yet, just asking to see if anyone else noticed it, or if i'm just crazy
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:07 PM Post #10 of 58
I was under the impressions that:

1) Behringer had really badly manufactured gear

2) EQs actually reduced the signal quality/soundstage/something like that.. don't remember exactly what, heh. In any case, many on HeadFi consistently say "EQ = bad!"

confused.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #11 of 58
1. yes, behringer in general should be avoided. they normally suck. however, it seems this EQ in particular is good.

2. well designed EQ's will not do this. any unit in the signal chain can affect signal quality. and like any other piece of equipment, there's good and bad EQ's. however, this behringer is digital... so the only degredation is from digital conversion. you don't have to worry about phase issues.

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:42 PM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally posted by Sduibek
If it is the drivers.. what options do I have? As mentioned in a couple of my other posts/threads, I haven't really heard a headphone I like as much as the CD3K, so I can't just magically switch over to the K1000s or something... blarg.

You seem very picky which is a good thing. You know what you want and you know the "flaws" (not really) or what you consider to be negatives of the CD3000s but honestly, if you truly like these phones than you should be enjoying the raw power the CD3000s give in the highs and lows. I don't understand why you like the phones if you think the drivers are "bad" sounding. It is the main part of the headphones. (What defines the headphones if you want to say.) Go try Sennheisers or ATHs. They are less harsh. You're going to put way too much work into getting the sound that you're looking for in the Sony phones. Sources and Amps don't transform the sound of these headphones or headphones drastically. You're not going to get the best of everything unless you are willing to try high end +$1000 equipment and even then its based on preference. Sell the CD3000s. Its not worth the effort to change the sound in the highs. Its always going to be in the back of your mind, damn these things are still high...

Why I love CD3000 could also be based on the fact that I am using a Perreaux SXH-1. Again, the perreaux is a more subtle sounding amp but it doesn't do much about the high end sound. I actually love the highs and like some, believe that alive music is just as good as "what was recorded" or intended. Again, if you think its harsh... than you will never fully enjoy these headphones.

Have a good week!

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:49 PM Post #13 of 58
I got rid of my cd3000's because I couldnt take the treble. I think the cd3000 would be my favorite headphone if not for the treble. On some material, with little of the offending frequencies, the cd3000 is magical. I tried several interconnect changes, different amps, power conditioning etc and I could not remove the problem. Sometimes I felt like all I was hearing was the treble, especially cymbals. From my experiences, I believe the only way to fix the problem is with an EQ, as suggested. I switched to the senn 650's instead and couldnt be happier.
600smile.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 58
sacd lover, CamelBackCinema---

Yeah, that's why i'm now considering the DEQ2496 gerG has talked about.. I really do love my CD3K except for the wierdness in treble response. I figure with the potential new cord, and an EQ, I should be able to perfect them
biggrin.gif

EDIT: "If I truly love the sounds of my CD3K, I should build a system around it" I was told a bit ago... Well IMO using an EQ to make more neutral a headphone IS building a system around it...
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

So I guess i've got an answer now! W00t. HeadFi rules.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 8:56 PM Post #15 of 58
I suppose from a purist's point of a view an EQ is bad because it adds further complexity to the signal chain and can degrade the signal quality. Although, the same could be said about the Gilmore V2SE and it numerous I/O's in the back. But of course that is why the Reference Gilmore exists.
biggrin.gif

But it all comes down to your ears. Can you hear a difference?

Sduibek, try the analog bypass mod, you'll like it. It's reversible back to the mod you have currently. You don't have to remove anything else from the card. Just pull out the OP amp on the Brown Dog adapter. (hold the "Stand up" adapter in one hand, and then pull on the chip on the little board).

Then solder the Capaciters according to the guide in that thread I linked to above. The last page has better pics of where to solder the resistors. Look for the "Unbalanced" mod.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back