Fix a scratched SACD?
Apr 21, 2008 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

btag

Head-Fier
I recently found a Red Cyndi 2 CD set (SACD) in Chinatown at an amazing deal of $5. Of course I instantly bought it. Unfortunately fate is not without a sense of irony, not only was that the last CD the store had but it was scratched!
frown.gif

It is massively skipping and getting worse. So I need advice. How I can fix it??

Also any advice on ripping would be nice. Unfortunately preliminary search shows ripping the SACD track is impossible... unless someone here has a trick up their sleeve or more recent info??

Apr 21, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #3 of 12
Never tried it myself but someone in the link you provided says

Quote:

You should never rub anything abrasive onto a cd in a circular motion around the disk. It will scratch across sectors of the disk and it will probably skip even more. What you should do is rub from the centre to the outside or visa versa.... much more likely to remove the skip.

Let us know if it works

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 12
Hmm... seems kind of risky...
Usually the groves of a SACD are much tighter and more susceptible to scratches. I'm just afraid this will completely ruin the CD.

Apr 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #5 of 12
I would try to find a shop that resurfaces CDs and DVDs and have it fixed. If you can't manage to locate one, I would be happy to repair it for you if you mail it to me (contact me via PM if you wish).

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #7 of 12
Try Brasso. Seriously.

I use it to polish scratches out of discs and other plastics all the time. It's especially good for acrylic watch crystals, too.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:34 AM Post #8 of 12
You're lucky I saw this! I have waaay too much experience with scratched discs thanks to an old collection and that little Xbox 360 plague.

Toothpaste will make it worse. Furniture polish will do next to nothing.

The best two choices are:

1) For DIY get a real scratch repair kit. I've had good luck with the Maxell CD Repair kit that includes two solutions, a plastic holder and paper-like pads. I'm pretty sure their DVD repair kit is exactly the same thing. Best Buy, Target, etc. carry them.

2) For the really bad stuff you'll have to get it professionally resurfaced. The guy at Rubberdisc.com does a great job with fast service and reasonable prices.

Apr 21, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 12
i had some success with a light non abrasive car polish. Overall it works pretty well...its hit or miss though depending on the scratch and how deep it is.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by btag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also any advice on ripping would be nice. Unfortunately preliminary search shows ripping the SACD track is impossible... unless someone here has a trick up their sleeve or more recent info??

So it's a single-layer SACD, not a hybrid? Not with maintainable effort then. Nevertheless—assuming you get those scratches smoothed—you may indulge in some hours worth of "back to the 90s" fun and make an analog recording. Thereby you are not feloniously breaking any copy protection for your intended personal use. Beforehand, make sure there is no annoying noise present on that particular input of your computer and check whether you can set your recording software to some insane kHz & bit values. You are then likely to end up with about 5GB in files per disc that you can shrink down to 44.1kHz/16bit afterwards—and you may have the added fun of manually cutting tracks and setting tags.

Apr 21, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 12
Someone told me a long time ago that using toothpaste would seal some scratches. Of course you have to buff it out afterwards hehe. Its tottaly up to your descretion.

I would personaly put all my cd's to pc digitaly this way it perserves the physical discs since i wont be using the discs.

Apr 25, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #12 of 12
I tried that toothpaste route some years ago. The result, the CD was in worse shape than before I applied the toothpaste. I had to throw the disc out.

Maybe it was something I did wrong, but I certainly wont be using toothpaste on my CD's anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back