Fitness/Weight-lifting question
Jul 22, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #31 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
What do you mean exactly? Like when to eat during the day (this will depend on the time of day you work out)? What to eat during the day? What to eat during each meal? What foods to eat in general?

I'm interested in what I should eat during the day/meal. I have seen many recommend whey protein, which I can get easily from those vitamin shoppes.

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #32 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
I'm interested in what I should eat during the day/meal. I have seen many recommend whey protein, which I can get easily from those vitamin shoppes.

Whey is for convenience but shouldn't replace high quality meat and eggs. Whey is important if you need a quick surge in protein, for example pre and post-workout. It's also convenient for when you don't have meat laying around.

In general, more carbs during the morning and little carbs during the evening, consistent protein throughout the day. One meal at least once every 3 hours or so. It's hard to outline a meal plan, otherwise you wouldn't have flexibility now would you
cool.gif
Max out on fruits and veggies, limit saturated fat intake, zero trans fat intake, high fiber, low sugar, whole grains, natural foods, etc. Remember "crap in, crap out!"

Jul 22, 2005 at 6:26 AM Post #33 of 66
Wow, thanks guys! Practically no responses in the bodybuilding forums but three pages in about three hours here.

Anyway, this is what my schedule is like right now:

Back/Biceps/Legs day:
Lying T-bar row
Pullups (though I do this every day now)
Hyperextensions (w/ machine where I push a pad against the back of my neck backwards)
Dumb-bell curls
Dumb-bell hammer curls
Squats
Calf raises

Chest/Triceps/Shoulders day:
Bench press
Decline flies
EZbar skull-crushers w/ close grip bench press (1set of each, rest, another set, etc.)
Cable arm tricep extension
Side lateral raises
Behind-the-neck Smith machine press

So Monday and Friday might be back/bicep/leg days with Wednesday a chest/tricep/shoulder day, then the next week it's the other way around. At first I was doing 3 sets, 12 reps for every exercise but I read that higher weight with lower reps will get me better results (something about fast-twitch and slow-twitch muscles) so I've switched to a 3x6 or 4x6 routine with all the exercises except calf raises.

On top of my weight program I do the Armstrong pull-up program daily so push-ups when I get up in the morning and the appropriate pull-up routine when I'm at the gym. Pull ups are currently my top priority simply because that's the specific exercise I need to do to pass my physical fitness test. The final test will probably be in December or early January but I'm so far away from 20 pullups I think I really do need to get cracking now.

I'm a little confused about the protein before and carbs after advice... I thought that carbs are good for energy during the workout and protein is good for getting the healing process started quickly? I've also read that creatine is good for plateaus because the body gets used to it quickly. Is this true, or should I be using creatine constantly? From what I understand, this is a natural chemical that I'm getting from meat anyway.

Thanks again for all your help!

Jul 22, 2005 at 7:46 AM Post #34 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by SptsNaz
Man, I'm having trouble gaining weight. Can anyone recommend some foods that are high in calories and protein? Is eating fish more than 3 times a week unsafe?

Being 6'0 and only ~145, I'm pretty desperate

Are you worried about mercury? Gaining weight - eat more carbs like regular breads and more red meat.

Being 6'0 and ~185, I'm desperate to lose weight
biggrin.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 10:14 AM Post #36 of 66
Wow Dan, that's quite a routine.

WRT resting, it seems like most folks I know who are knowledgeable about this stuff are recommending MORE rest between workouts. That tells me a lot.

My younger brother, who bench presses 300 lbs+, alternates between two and three days between workouts for specific muscle groups. Now, his workouts are VERY intense, so that certainly matters. I know that he's a big proponent of workouts with dumbbells, and emphasizes range of motion.

I'll ask him his thoughts and get back with you...good luck.

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:47 AM Post #37 of 66
I have found that lifting weights (preferably at a gym and not home, so there is less rest between different excersizes) and then 40 minutes of cardio, first thing in the morning, is the most beneficial. When you sleep, your body starts to deplete it's carb stores and continue into the morning. I learned in a nutrition class, that 20 minutes of weight lifting and cardio on an empty stomach continues the fat burning process started during sleep because you have minimal carbs stored up because you haven't eaten in 12 hours, and the fat burning process starts right away (that is why it is not good to run more than one hour...once your fat stores are depleted, then you start drawing from your protein or muscle, for energy). 20 minutes on an early morning empty belly is equivalent to 60 minutes in the daytime or night, after you've had one or two meals, because you have to waste 20 minutes of your routine, just to get through the carbs, before burning fat.

Jul 22, 2005 at 11:56 AM Post #38 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
Wow Dan, that's quite a routine.

WRT resting, it seems like most folks I know who are knowledgeable about this stuff are recommending MORE rest between workouts. That tells me a lot.

My younger brother, who bench presses 300 lbs+, alternates between two and three days between workouts for specific muscle groups. Now, his workouts are VERY intense, so that certainly matters. I know that he's a big proponent of workouts with dumbbells, and emphasizes range of motion.

I'll ask him his thoughts and get back with you...good luck.

Precisely, I'd take quality over quantity any day. With the correct form, intensity, rest and nutrition, your muscles will be fed happy thoughts and grow!

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #39 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker
I have found that lifting weights (preferably at a gym and not home, so there is less rest between different excersizes) and then 40 minutes of cardio, first thing in the morning, is the most beneficial. When you sleep, your body starts to deplete it's carb stores and continue into the morning. I learned in a nutrition class, that 20 minutes of weight lifting and cardio on an empty stomach continues the fat burning process started during sleep because you have minimal carbs stored up because you haven't eaten in 12 hours, and the fat burning process starts right away (that is why it is not good to run more than one hour...once your fat stores are depleted, then you start drawing from your protein or muscle, for energy). 20 minutes on an early morning empty belly is equivalent to 60 minutes in the daytime or night, after you've had one or two meals, because you have to waste 20 minutes of your routine, just to get through the carbs, before burning fat.

Really? I heard differently -- that the body's sources of immediate energy are first carbs, then protein/muscle, then fat. I generally avoid working out on an empty stomach...the pool of carbohydrate energy from breakfast acts as a protective bufffer, I guess -- as fat metabolism is generally a slower process and wouldn't be affected by exercise as much as by your body's natural metabolism.

Alot of bodybuilders are concerned about the fasting during sleep, as during that time protein catabolism occurs as well. That's why they drink a slow-digesting protein shake (like from casein protein) before bed and also some people wake up in the middle of the night to drink another protein shake!

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:16 PM Post #40 of 66
My main problem is, as a few others here, gaining weight. 5'6" and 120 lbs. With any luck I'll gain a few inches eventually... I think what's probably to blame is my eating. I eat sporadically at best. My schedule is such that I have time for a couple of pieces of toast in the morning, maybe a bowl of cereal, then it's time for classes. When I get back, I usually try and eat a better second breakfast (~11 AM), though. As for the rest of the day, usually I end up snacking until supper. I should force myself to eat some decent meals during the day, I know.

It's not that I'm not hungry, 'cause if I sit down for a good full meal, I can put away a couple of giant burgers, pasta, you name it.

What's your take on gainer powder? Good, bad, other?

Jul 22, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #41 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
My main problem is, as a few others here, gaining weight. 5'6" and 120 lbs. With any luck I'll gain a few inches eventually... I think what's probably to blame is my eating. I eat sporadically at best. My schedule is such that I have time for a couple of pieces of toast in the morning, maybe a bowl of cereal, then it's time for classes. When I get back, I usually try and eat a better second breakfast (~11 AM), though. As for the rest of the day, usually I end up snacking until supper. I should force myself to eat some decent meals during the day, I know.

It's not that I'm not hungry, 'cause if I sit down for a good full meal, I can put away a couple of giant burgers, pasta, you name it.

What's your take on gainer powder? Good, bad, other?

Gainer powder is bad. If you look at the ingredients list it's pretty much just 80% straight sugar and 20% protein. That's why they're able to sell gainer powders for alot cheaper than 100% protein powders -- because of the carbohydrate fillers! Gainer powders will cost you to gain alot more fat than muscle.

Eating more solid meals is better. Alot of friends I know also complain that they can't gain weight, and that their metabolism is so naturally high etc. etc. but the truth is that they don't eat alot in general. Even at mealtimes. Eating one huge thanksgiving meal a week isn't going to cause you to gain weight. To gain weight, you're going to have to eat more, consistently, every day, over and over again. Trust me, if your metabolism is high, constantly eating and eating more in general won't burn off the extra calories, but rather the calories would be diverted into protein/fat storage.

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #42 of 66
I've been working out for 10 years consistently now and considered pull-ups a favorite of mine when first starting out. I currently can do between 25-27 forward grip, pull-ups and thought I would share with you two vital exercises that were not on your list.

1. Weighted Pull-ups
2. Weighted Dips

1. On my back day I will usually start off with weighted pull-ups. This will consist of a weight belt with a long metal chain attached to one end of it and a 45lb. weight. Run the chain through the center hole of the weight and clip the chain back on your belt. I will do 3 sets of ten reps about twice a week. These are all the pull-ups I normally do. When I need to perform regular pull-ups my body is already use to weighing an extra 45lbs. I have no problem in cranking them out for an evaluation or showing off for fellow friends.
biggrin.gif

2. The weighted dips are invaluable for bench press because you need strong triceps. This will consist of the same weight belt with a chain attached to one end of it and set of dipping bars (short version of gymnastic parallel bars). This time I will attach two-three 45lb. weights, doing 3 sets of ten reps. First set I use 90lbs.; Second set I use 135lbs.; Third set I go back down to 90lbs. Weighted dips helps your bench. Your bench helps your push-ups. If you can do a heavy bench with good reps then you will have no problem with push-ups for an evaluation. Also, if you do push-ups, do them with your feet perched up on a chair or high surface while keeping your back straight. This has kept my triceps strong and allows me to maintain a bench of 315lbs.

I weigh about 156lbs. with a height of 5'6" and of course the weight used for anyone else will be relative. I use a four day cycle with one day off.

Warm-ups before every workout: Basketball/Running
Day 1. Chest
Day 2. Back
Day 3. Legs
Day 4. Arms
Day 5. Rest.......
Day 1. The vicious cycle repeats!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the only supplement used is Max High5 protein before and after a workout.

Caveat: Be careful when performing these exercises. If not careful one may injure their back and then you'll be talking to use through that machine Stephen Hawkings uses
eek.gif

Jul 22, 2005 at 1:25 PM Post #43 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Gainer powder is bad. If you look at the ingredients list it's pretty much just 80% straight sugar and 20% protein. That's why they're able to sell gainer powders for alot cheaper than 100% protein powders -- because of the carbohydrate fillers! Gainer powders will cost you to gain alot more fat than muscle.

Eating more solid meals is better. Alot of friends I know also complain that they can't gain weight, and that their metabolism is so naturally high etc. etc. but the truth is that they don't eat alot in general. Even at mealtimes. Eating one huge thanksgiving meal a week isn't going to cause you to gain weight. To gain weight, you're going to have to eat more, consistently, every day, over and over again. Trust me, if your metabolism is high, constantly eating and eating more in general won't burn off the extra calories, but rather the calories would be diverted into protein/fat storage.

Yeah, I have looked at the ingredients. I assumed that if you were working out enough, your body would use the calories, even if it was mostly sugar. Could be wrong, though.

I do have protein powder, though. I use that after every workout. I don't know if it does much (not having anything to compare it to), but I feel better if I take some.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:01 PM Post #44 of 66
Tom: Thanks, I look forward to hearing from you!

Usagi: I have enough trouble as it is with regular pull-ups. I couldn't even complete the Wednesday routine. Got through about 7 sets of only 1 rep each and couldn't do the 8th (behind-the-neck pullups). My max. effort set is maybe 5 pull-ups if I'm feeling particularly good that day.

And I don't think I could do a 4-1 schedule because I really prefer to have something that fits between Monday and Friday so I get the weekend off. On top of that, I'm a bit confused by the idea of exercising one body part per day -- if the most important exercises are compound core exercises, they wouldn't they be disqualified?

For reference -- I don't think I mentioned this before -- I'm 5'10" and weigh about 170 lbs. most of the time. I consider myself in good shape (in terms of appearance) though I've been drinking a lot of beer this summer and could lose a bit in the gut! In any case I'm worse at sit-ups than I thought I was, so that'll take some work.

Jul 22, 2005 at 5:14 PM Post #45 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker

I think I'll finally get around to taking the nutrition class offered at my college.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back