Fit Ear PS-5 custom in-ear monitor (CIEM) review: Dominate on stage or at home
Sep 14, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #16 of 24

To be honest, I was expecting a 98-99 at this price range, but it is just 92.7? Can you explain why the NT-6 and NT-6 Pto are "better"? 

First, the NT-6 and NT-6 pro have a very different sound than the PS-5 and if you would buy one of those two due to sound signature preferences, which is why people should buy, then those three aren't even in the same conversation.  If you don't like the sound signature, it very likely could become an issue once you get used to the high level of technical performance.

My total score is comprised of several different characteristics including clarity, PRaT, overall soundstage presentation, transparency, detail, resolution, etc. as well as overall quality of the bass, midrange, and treble.  The NT-6 and NT-6 pro don't score much better as the NT-6 is at a 93.0 and the NT-6 pro is at a 96.6.  The NT-6 wins some and loses some compared with the PS-5 while the NT-6 pro is even clearer, more musical yet more detailed, and more dynamic than the NT-6, but in exchange it gives up the more accurate sound signature (which is not graded because it is like a flavor, personal preference).  When a $550 cable is added to the NT-6, it surpasses the NT-6 pro, but then the price jumps also.  Some day I will post all the gory details, er, I mean numbers. 

We would all love to see those gory details. 
smile.gif

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:28 AM Post #17 of 24

The DX50 is absolutely awesome for what it is. 
It has now become by outside DAP. 

I would like to wait and see about FW updates, apparently, it needs a lot of them. When it reaches its final stage, then I can have a healthy comparison to other daps in my list. The same problem will be there with X5 too I believe. Btw, Gavin mentioned DX50 pairs perfectly with SE5way, who knows maybe I can settle on DX50.

Sep 20, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 24
  Does the SE5 benefit from an upgraded cable? I am unsure of this due to all the wiring in the SE5 itself?

I haven't had a chance to test the PS-5 with aftermarket cables yet.  Hopefully soon...

Sep 20, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #20 of 24

I haven't had a chance to test the PS-5 with aftermarket cables yet.  Hopefully soon...

When I said SE5 I actually meant the Spiral Ear SE5 :). I have a couple cables I could use to feed them if I get the cables re-terminated. But unsure if its even worth it due to all the wiring inside the SE5 itself. I'm assuming all this wiring is gonna saturate the signal regardless and thus pretty much kill any benefit a cable could possibly have.... In regards to build and portability the provided cable on the SE5 is superb and I see no need to upgrade other than attempting to further improve sonics on this IEM.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 24

When I said SE5 I actually meant the Spiral Ear SE5 :). I have a couple cables I could use to feed them if I get the cables re-terminated. But unsure if its even worth it due to all the wiring inside the SE5 itself. I'm assuming all this wiring is gonna saturate the signal regardless and thus pretty much kill any benefit a cable could possibly have.... In regards to build and portability the provided cable on the SE5 is superb and I see no need to upgrade other than attempting to further improve sonics on this IEM.

OK, then ask in the appropriate thread 
wink_face.gif

If you check the first post in my SE5 review thread, I have added a cable matching section.  If you have any PS-5 questions, please ask them here.  

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM Post #23 of 24
Comparisons:
Spiral Ear SE 5-way Reference:

With a similar price tag, both are musical with similar organic, powerful, and capable sound signatures, but the SE5 is more of a reference sound and an overall cleaner, brighter, and more spacious presentation.  The PS-5 in contrast has a more mid-forward presentation that gives more of an “on stage” presentation with boosted deep bass and smooth, non-fatiguing treble. While the SE5 outperforms the PS-5 in overall technical scoring, the PS-5 isn’t far behind and could satisfy many that want something like the SE5 but can’t get one due to the shipping requirements. It is also important to note that both require different types of sources to sound their best.

So basically, they sound quite similar and if you already have the SE-5 you don't need the PS-5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back