Fischer Audio DBA-02 left/right imbalance. Filter problems?
Jan 7, 2014 at 3:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

bevaspen

New Head-Fier
Hi there. I have a pair of DBA-02 mark 1 that have developed a problem. The right channel is significantly quieter than the left. I took off the rubber caps and tried to carefully clean them. There was a bunch of wax in the right hand plastic tube. The problem persists so i was wondering can you change the filters on these as you can with the Etymotic Er-4 (which i also have) If you can, how do the get the filters out? they seem in there quite deep and the tool that i have for removing the ER4 filters was ineffective. Any help would be greatfuly appreciated. I've also emailed Fischer Audio but I thought that a response might be quicker from here. cheers, Bevan

Jul 14, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi. I was just looking for the answer to that, didn't find one, so I just tried to do it by force. Dunno if you did it yet, but the short answer is - yes, they are easily removable, just put a needle in the nozzle and pull the filter out by its metal casing, it protrudes a bit, look for the silver bit between the filter and the inside of the nozzle. After cleaning just push it back gently, it won't fall out, so I guess it's completely intended.

It's actually a funny story - left monitor in my DBA-02 stopped playing almost completely last year after cleaning, there were just some high frequencies left and the volume was extremely quiet. I believed it was due to a part of the driver dying because I sprinkled some water in it. It was past warranty, so I just accepted my fate after dismantling the piece completely and cleaning everything, which didn't help (now I know that earwax was already on the other side of the filter, which I didn't think was removable).

Anyway, back to present time, I bought a-Jays One+ for my phone, quite a good headset with mic and remote for the price. Aaand the same thing happened today - left bud went out, low volume, butchered frequencies etc. This time warranty was still good, so I went to Jays' site and opened their FAQ for warranty procedure. Lo and behold, there was this little piece of knowledge:

Q: My a-JAYS/t-JAYS earphones have lower sound volume on one side.
A: This is most often due to ear wax clogging the sound tube wax filter guard. Do NOT remove the filters. They are glued onto the housing. Instead remove the silicon ear tips and use a tooth brush or similar and gently try to clean/remove the clogging from the metal grill and it should go back to normal.

Of course, the wax was too far in for the toothbrush to do anything, so I did the only thing I could think of - I put the nozzle in my mouth and sucked the air in. It wasn't very tasty :p, but it worked. I immediately dug out my DBAs to revive them too, but the filter was too deep for sucking to work, so I searched the internet and, after finding precisely nothing, tried brute force. There, success story of the century and the moral is - CLEAN YOUR ******* EARS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back