Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Nov 28, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #752 of 2,161
Coincidentally enough, I just compared both a couple nights ago... As much as I still love the GR07 MkII (and how it was enjoyable even after the TG334), when compared to the FA-4E it was definitely several tiers down. It sounded claustrophobic by comparison, the mids seemed to have a fairly healthy recession going on, the treble was spitty and harsh, and the bass was no deeper. I was amazed at how much more open and balanced sounding the FA-4E was that evening. 

Edit- Oh, sorry I overlooked your mention of the bass edition.. my comments are for the GR07 MkII so take that as you will.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #753 of 2,161
This thread is busy, Kurt. People are discovering FA-4. In my case, it was a blind purchase and I'm glad I did it and soon after I was forced to sell all my other IEMs that were collecting dust.

As promised, an A/B with IE800 made with AK120, flac and no amp. That's just my opinion and my English is far from good...

IE800
Tiny, well built, cable seems very resistant but its short and produces too much microphonics which may be unbearable for some.
Bass is one of the best I've heard to date, reminding me Sony EX1000. Amazing sub bass, not bloated and not interfering with mids and highs. Although a little strong for my taste, its a pleasant listening experience.Mids also very good, detailed, but polite due to less extension; highs extended, may sound sibilant to some and thin to others, but pairs really well with the sub bass monster it delivers.

FA-4
Weaker sub bass but better mid bass, although punchy when needed, sounds a bit loose in comparison interfering a little with the other frequencies. Mids are full, engaging, can't explain exactly but the feeling is the singer's voice is alive, more convincing. Highs not so extended and detailed, but never sibilant, maybe more to the neutral side and therefore less fatiguing. Deeper soundstage

In general, IE800 is brighter, more detailed, excellent instrument separation, better bass, wider soundstage. Comfortable, but may not seal accordingly and that microphonics..oh boy..what a hassle.
FA-4 has a fuller sound overall, better imaging, plays louder (5 to 7 notches), zero issues with cable, ergonomics, sealing, comfort..

So, which one is better? For me, although IE800 shines in some aspects, its shortcomings really bother in everyday use. FA-4, on the other hand, never disappoint enough and you just forget something is lacking. In conclusion, as of today, my IE800 belongs to someone else.

This FA-4 is a real keeper....Cheers...

I would have made many of the same points, but from memory.

Nov 28, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #754 of 2,161
  Coincidentally enough, I just compared both a couple nights ago... As much as I still love the GR07 MkII (and how it was enjoyable even after the TG334), when compared to the FA-4E it was definitely several tiers down. It sounded claustrophobic by comparison, the mids seemed to have a fairly healthy recession going on, the treble was spitty and harsh, and the bass was no deeper. I was amazed at how much more open and balanced sounding the FA-4E was that evening.

Edit- Oh, sorry I overlooked your mention of the bass edition.. my comments are for the GR07 MkII so take that as you will.

what about FA4 compared to famous TG334?

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #755 of 2,161
Well, if cn11 still had the TG334 he could do an A/B comparison. But unfortunately he only has the FA-4E left. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #756 of 2,161
  Well, if cn11 still had the TG334 he could do an A/B comparison. But unfortunately he only has the FA-4E left. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

LoL
biggrin.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #757 of 2,161
  So I bought a second-hand pair and received the FA-4E on Monday. I've been listening, tip rolling, and getting used to them for a couple days now. Immediately I removed the stock cord and installed a BTG copper cable. That made a nice difference. Early on I am enjoying them a lot more than I expected, considering their price compared to my current favorite, the TG334.

Rather than write up something coherent, I think I'll just list some of my early observations, bullet point style.

> Immediately struck by how clear and transparent the FA4E is.
> Bass is quite good (I always require an authoritative, weighty bass in my earphones), right on par with the TG334 but with a less mid-bassy quality.
> Treble is very detailed and extended, without having painful bite. Definitely more extension and shimmer than Fitear.
> Midrange seems somewhat drier, and ever so slightly more recessed than on the TG334, but seemingly equally resolving.
> Soundstage is impressive, perhaps a touch wider than the TG334.
> This is easily the most comfortable earphone I have ever worn (as so many users are noting too).

Overall, I'm really taken by surprise how much I like this earphone. I hoped it would be a decent alternative (or different flavor) for a little bit of non-334 listening time, but the sound is just so damn good that I'm going to this earphone a lot more than the TG334. The clarity and resolution are pretty remarkable. 

guys you need to check your memory i also feel the same with the ex1000 as cn11 with the gr07 the fa 4e are some tiers above despite the quality of the bass and the wider soundstage

in the first page are attached all the reviews and comparations

Nov 28, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #758 of 2,161
After reading all these very positive reviews in comparison with sometimes much more expensive iems, a thought occurred to me. Fischer Amps could be very close in bringing out a new iem named perhaps FA5 which in essence would beat almost all others in every respect for say $700US. They are that close. What do others think?

secret_box11.jpg

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #761 of 2,161
No, merely future time gazing. My point I was trying to make was that according to some of you owners with extensive experience with other seemly finer fare have waxed lyrical about it's sound qualities. It wouldn't take much for FA to bring out a game changer for not much more money. All it really needs is to make a further refinement to the sound via drivers/crossover and encapsulate it in a more desirable and luxurious enclosure. Don't you agree.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #762 of 2,161
 a more desirable and luxurious enclosure would be enough for me, it's the only upgrade I'd really desire on my fa 4e, sound is nearly perfect imo and as an avarage user and music lover not an audiophile collector, they simply blow my mind everyday...but obviously if they could refine the sound  on a new hypothetical model at a reasonble price, hell I really don't know...

i still have some years of warranty 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #763 of 2,161
I certainly do agree. But I'd rather the FA-4E gets noticed and promoted. Because something like this can pressure other manufacturers to step up their game. Oh, btw. I wrote the first review on the Head Gear section. It's somewhere between my old review and my upcoming. Except for sources and cables and direct comparisons with tracks... But I noticed that it became a few lines. Didn't really intend to write that much.

When I filled in the date of purchase I realised that I haven't even had them for a month yet... But with these tips.. Man. For the first time, I don't feel like I'm missing anything. Otherwise it's always something that's missing or isn't really good.

Nov 28, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #765 of 2,161
  ...........But I'd rather the FA-4E gets noticed and promoted........................ Because something like this can pressure other manufacturers to step up their game...................

I don't mind that their not noticed by the many, in life that's what happens. The truly superior or remarkable seeps through the cracks and only a few discover and enjoy their pot of Gold.

Although I do agree with your second point and for this to transpire my first point must be negated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back