Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Apr 12, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,307 of 2,161
  Umm.. Don't want to start any hype but I do find some improvals on the FA-4E with a NocturnaL Audio Hydra 4 braided silver/copper hybrid cable. Way better on the ASG-2 but it does also improve the performance of the FA-4E. I'm not really any cable believer but this is really something. Opens up the sound a bit and clears up the mids. A bit less floppy bass compared to Fiio cable which is already pretty good. It's even slightly ahead of my 93spec silver cable. I really like it and the build quality is just superb.

For $79.00 this is reasonable. How flexible is the cable and what about microphonics?

Apr 12, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #1,308 of 2,161

Umm.. Don't want to start any hype but I do find some improvals on the FA-4E with a NocturnaL Audio Hydra 4 braided silver/copper hybrid cable. Way better on the ASG-2 but it does also improve the performance of the FA-4E. I'm not really any cable believer but this is really something. Opens up the sound a bit and clears up the mids. A bit less floppy bass compared to Fiio cable which is already pretty good. It's even slightly ahead of my 93spec silver cable. I really like it and the build quality is just superb.

For $79.00 this is reasonable. How flexible is the cable and what about microphonics?

Superb build quality (can't comment on durability but I don't think that will be an issue), very flexible and so far less prone to coiling than the Fiio cable. So overall very flexible and well built.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #1,310 of 2,161
Cecala did Moonyeol's set of tips arrived?

Yes they have, Moonyeol sent 1 pair of Meelec balanced and 2 pairs of large hybrids + 1 pair of medium hybrids.
So far the Meelec are not for me, they blow the bass all over the place and it bleeds into the midrange, awful sound. I am at the moment enjoying the Green coloured large hybrid (Moonyeol can state what they are). Good seal and no addition to the music. Next I will try the bi-flange and see what develops.
I am liking the result. It has a slight V signature that's very tastefully implemented. You almost miss it if you blink. The soundstage is above average in width and IMO very lacking in depth. That's the one thing I miss from my IE8's, that gigantic soundstage. You needed a compass to get around. The treble is nice and extended, much much better here compared to the above. The bass I feel could hit harder in the lower registers and I suppose it's a function of having Balanced armatures although some manufacturers are now introducing 4 bass units! The upper bass does provide a satisfying amount of body to the music just that under that level it lacks that punch to the gut that Dynamic drivers furnish. I will continue to explore the tip microcosm.
I am looking at the new Unique Melody Mentor and Noble K10. Big step up in price and performance although will do serious research before venturing down this path.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:50 PM Post #1,311 of 2,161

I am looking at the new Unique Melody Mentor and Noble K10. Big step up in price and performance although will do serious research before venturing down this path.

I'm not sure if a multiple balanced armature will provide you that dymanic and soundstage effect that you are missing I'll look into something like high end hybrids instead as I've read soundstage on the mentors isn't the widest.

Apr 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #1,312 of 2,161
I'm not sure if a multiple balanced armature will provide you that dymanic and soundstage effect that you are missing I'll look into something like high end hybrids instead as I've read soundstage on the mentors isn't the widest.

I don't think driver type has any causational effect on soundstage presentation. For example, to me, the three BA's in the UERM throw out a soundstage around the same width as the EX1000, give or take.

If only it was that simple haha.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,314 of 2,161
Yeah but most of the time dynamic iems have wider stage than ba, it's rare to see ba iems with that ex1000 stage

It's rare to see any IEM with the EX1000 stage :smile:

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #1,315 of 2,161
It's rare to see any IEM with the EX1000 stage
smile.gif

Another option is the 1Plus2, best of both worlds.

Apr 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #1,316 of 2,161
Dynamics tend to be vented as well. That adds to the ambience. Part of what makes the IE8 so big. No seal at all.

So you find the meelec biflanges blow up the bass? How odd. For me they're the only tips that reduce bass. That's consistent on the UE900, ASG-2 and FA-4E. Very weird. I do think the lack in depth might be because of the hybrids. They do sound a bit too closed in and directed compared to some other tips like comply Ts, meelec balanced or auvios.

But seriously, the grey biflanges blow up the bass?

Apr 15, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #1,319 of 2,161
I love brain burning if that term is correct haha, jokes apart believe me that soundstage with this tips is much improved

Others try iems i try tips meanwhile :p

Anyway yesterday bought an ibasso dx 50 to replace my android phone hope it improve it a lot and hope also the dx 50 will improve with my amp but a friend told me that i wont hear much difference with the dx 50 amped with iems, is this true? I'm also thinking about the cable you recommended the 79$ one and i have an eye on the w60 release

Apr 15, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #1,320 of 2,161
Haha well you seem to know what to do with your money. The cable is superb. Very flexible and just feels and sounds great. Very little memory effect so far. Much less than the Fiio cable. Almost as good as the stock cable which is pretty wonderful to handle but sounds quite terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back