Fischer Amps: FA-4 E XB - Rhapsody series (3/4/5 drivers upcoming)
Feb 4, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #2,086 of 2,161
Thanks for the suggestions on the last page re cheap headphones whilst my FA's were in for repair. I ended up using some crappy buds that came with my phone for a few days, which was more painful than I'd have imagined but also made the return of the FA's even sweeter.

I got them back from Thomann who did a great job with their free extended warranty service (didn't even pay a penny for postage to Germany from the UK).

The repair description was in German but what I gather from Google Translate suggests that the removable headphone cable socket on one of the earpieces was defective. Both earpieces came back looking slightly different and the FA symbol now appears to be glazed onto the shells somehow whereas they were just stickers before that fell off after a few days of use. The cable was also replaced and new foam eartips were pre-installed. More importantly they sound brilliant as ever! :D

The repair notes made me realise that I tend to pull the earpieces out of my ear by pushing the earpiece cable connector backwards / outwards with my index finger to break the seal and pop the earpiece out of my ear canal. This might be putting too much stress on the connector over time. Now I've adopted the practice of gently lifting the earpiece out of my ear with a finger or thumb under the shell from behind.

I think I've got a really good seal. I've switched to using silicone tips and the bass is more emphasised for me. However, I'm still not convinced on the sub bass region on some of my music. I end up turning up the volume to get a satisfying sub bass, but sometimes its too loud :/. Maybe it's because I only have full size cans (denon ahd-2000) to compare them to and the Yahama's which has some deep bass. 

Overall though, I'm very happy with the earphone. Since I listen to lots of genres, I find it suits my needs very well. I find in general the bass is very good, especially bass guitar sounds excellent.

I often listen to sub-bassy music. I came from UE TF10's which had very apparent sub-bass but found it fatiguing after a while. The FA's have just as much bass extension but less prominence which is also better controlled than the TF10's. Although easy to drive, the FA's sub-bass response is one area which sounds better to my ears with a headphone amp.

A couple of examples of sub-bassy tracks I find the FA's handle very well:
Gantz - Spry Sinister
V.I.V.E.K - Asteroids

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #2,087 of 2,161
  Both earpieces came back looking slightly different and the FA symbol now appears to be glazed onto the shells somehow whereas they were just stickers before that fell off after a few days of use. The cable was also replaced and new foam eartips were pre-installed. More importantly they sound brilliant as ever! :D

Did they change the whole shell to a different shape with a lacquer finish? Check if the crossover is a different size/look now too. If it is, sounds to me like they upgraded them to the upcoming Rhapsody series.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #2,088 of 2,161

Did they change the whole shell to a different shape with a lacquer finish? Check if the crossover is a different size/look now too. If it is, sounds to me like they upgraded them to the upcoming Rhapsody series.

Aside from the logo, the only other thing I've noticed is a coloured (red on right, blue on left) ring inside the shell near the tip. I never really studied the innards, I'm afraid! If there's a reference photo I can take a look I'll compare and let you know. I could also take a macro shot of mine and post it if you're interested.

Originally Posted by 9u775 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I often listen to sub-bassy music. I came from UE TF10's which had very apparent sub-bass but found it fatiguing after a while. The FA's have just as much bass extension but less prominence which is also better controlled than the TF10's. Although easy to drive, the FA's sub-bass response is one area which sounds better to my ears with a headphone amp.

A couple of examples of sub-bassy tracks I find the FA's handle very well:
Gantz - Spry Sinister
V.I.V.E.K - Asteroids

Just to follow up on this, I tested the above tracks on my HTC One M8 (rooted, LPA disabled, no EQ, etc) versus S.M.S.L M2 DAC / amp and the headphone amp absolutely blew the phone away in terms of sub-bass quality. With less bass heavy music the difference wasfar less pronounced, perhaps because it's easier to drive mids / treble or simply because my ears are more attuned to bass definition? Either way, definitely try these headphones with different sources to see whether it alters the sub-bass response.

Feb 7, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #2,089 of 2,161
9u775

Pics please!!! :D

Based on your description, it sounds like the demo models of the FA-3E XB and FA-4E XB they already used in (late) 2014, except for the logo which is new to me. Loved the looks of the coloured side indicators inside the nozzles, along with the clear shells and coloured faceplates (they had an FA-4E XB with purple faceplates which looked so darn cool).

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #2,090 of 2,161
@9u775

Pics please!!!
biggrin.gif

Based on your description, it sounds like the demo models of the FA-3E XB and FA-4E XB they already used in (late) 2014, except for the logo which is new to me. Loved the looks of the coloured side indicators inside the nozzles, along with the clear shells and coloured faceplates (they had an FA-4E XB with purple faceplates which looked so darn cool).

Here you go: https://goo.gl/photos/3bzSV1fvGQfyKqdS9

Please forgive the (lack of) quality. My phone has no polarising filter so the reflections from the shiny shells make it difficult to get a good view at the electronics inside.

Feb 18, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #2,091 of 2,161

Ok, I've now ordered this and this Foamies . Let's see how they are. I orderd alsoa FiiO RC-UE2 cable ( only for the optics ). I become at the weekend a LG v10 and I will see with whitch combination I get the harchnes away. What Foamies can you recommend?

Ok, I bought the FiiO RC - UE2 cable. But they are really bad . High microfonie , too rigid and too short. Can anyone recommend a good cable?
Incidentally: With the ordered Foamies I get the harshness not clear. So I have to try on.

Apr 7, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #2,092 of 2,161
After a long time, it seems like the Rhapsody series is finally happening:

From the Fischer Amps Facebook page:

The new Fischer Amps RHAPSODY earphone series: Simplicity to the maxx
The engine with a perfectly selected and well-matched combination of three or four balanced armature drivers form the basis of our RHAPSODY series: fine and precision-tuned sound, ergonomically shaped, hand-finished earphone shells, a manufactory product series, handcrafted in Germany with a unique sound character and a compelling price/performance ratio. 
The four Rhapsody models
LITHIUM
RAPTURE
FRENZY
SYMPHONIE
Are available in 9 colours and can be tested at the Fischer Amps booth hall 4.1 B20

12916887_700557946751227_7507651973043820830_o.jpg

12961665_700558003417888_7941995318314006443_n.jpg

/edit: More info: http://fischer-amps.de/en/in-ear-earphones/fischer-amps-rhapsoddy-in-ear-headphones/browse/1/artikel/neue-ladegeraete/suche...html#c1432

Apr 8, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #2,093 of 2,161
Saw it too but nothing about the 5 drivers model anyway I've been using the rapture model for months I think it's superb but I'm having problems with the shells. I tried to contact Jochen Fischer but he didn't answer to me so I will move to another brand in my next purchase I think.

Apr 25, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #2,094 of 2,161
  Saw it too but nothing about the 5 drivers model anyway I've been using the rapture model for months I think it's superb but I'm having problems with the shells. I tried to contact Jochen Fischer but he didn't answer to me so I will move to another brand in my next purchase I think.

Hello Kurdt-bada, I decided to take a peak here since it's been quite a while. I'm shocked that these 5 driver models are yet to see the light of day. I have not read this thread to understand the latest news although in a nutshell please explain to me what has been happening with this model and brand. Going by your last sentence you are not happy at all!

Apr 25, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #2,095 of 2,161
Hello, I'm ready to buy a FA-3E but would like to know how the 3.5mm connector is like. The pictures show them to be the square big ones, that won't fit my iPhone's case.

I see the new Westone epic cables already have a slimmer connector that can fit the phone cases.

Can someone, who has recently bought a Fischer Amps earphone, tell me which type of connector is being used lately?

Thank you.

Apr 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #2,096 of 2,161
I have a blue pair of the FA -4E XB in mint condition to sell if anyone is interested.
Just PM and I can send you a image pack in very high rez so you can have a close look at the goods.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #2,098 of 2,161
  Hey Cecala you are leaving too?

Yes I am. I am having fit issues with these things. I cannot get used to the 'over the ears' type of iem. They give me pain after while, In theory I need to get some CIEM's although this won't happen as they will present a bigger problem if I don't like the sound. I am currently using Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 LTD which are quite nice although these two are hurting me due to their large design. The hunt continues.........
What happened to you though..................

Apr 29, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #2,100 of 2,161

Yes I am. I am having fit issues with these things. I cannot get used to the 'over the ears' type of iem. They give me pain after while, In theory I need to get some CIEM's although this won't happen as they will present a bigger problem if I don't like the sound. I am currently using Audio Technica ATH-CKR9 LTD which are quite nice although these two are hurting me due to their large design. The hunt continues.........
What happened to you though..................

It's explained above I rehelled my old fa 4e with fischer amps because I broke the shells. So I also upgrade to the rhapsody version but after some months the shells of my new rhapsody started to crack by themselves I asked  Jochen Fischer directly but he didn't answer to me so I decided to pass. The sound of the rhapsody is incredible maybe I reshell them in custom form but...maybe I should look to the flc8s or jh angie who knows :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back