First Timer
Jul 9, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #16 of 17
Do yourself a favor and order yourself
.22uF input caps
470uF (or at least 330uF) power caps

IMO if you get the 470's at 25v (maybe even 16v) and are comfortable with soldering, the size will be approximately similar, and will give you a little boost in performance (keep with the same lines in both, though, so you don't have to worry about quality)

Might as well get nicer parts the first time.

You might also consider buying enough parts to make 2 amps, in case you screw up
wink.gif

Or, you'll like it so much (or have so much fun doing it) that you'll just make another. I found the 2nd time is much MUCH better in quality, anyways.

Edit: I also forgot to ask what phones you're building the amp for.. The Gain resistor of 1k is a little too low/high (gain) for most any headphone. If you have decent soldering experience, this project really won't pose too much of a problem. Go straight for the final/desired product. A gain of 3-6 is pretty safe, especially since the 2132 is such a cooperative chip. If you're using the amp with Grados or something similar, get a 3-4 gain. You should look into getting 3.35K-5K gain resistors.

If you want to cut costs, go for the 2134 (just as "cooperative," i've found.)
Or look into the 2227, it's better, runs at a lower minimum voltage (more battery life) and is a lot "quieter" when the output is supposed to be quiet. I've always experienced a slight hissing sound from the 213x series.

Jul 10, 2005 at 6:15 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by diredesire
Might as well get nicer parts the first time.

You might also consider buying enough parts to make 2 amps, in case you screw up
wink.gif

Or, you'll like it so much (or have so much fun doing it) that you'll just make another. I found the 2nd time is much MUCH better in quality, anyways.

Edit: I also forgot to ask what phones you're building the amp for.. The Gain resistor of 1k is a little too low/high (gain) for most any headphone. If you have decent soldering experience, this project really won't pose too much of a problem. Go straight for the final/desired product. A gain of 3-6 is pretty safe, especially since the 2132 is such a cooperative chip. If you're using the amp with Grados or something similar, get a 3-4 gain. You should look into getting 3.35K-5K gain resistors.

Haha, I thought about ordering extra parts for another, some of those parts digi key requires you to buy a min of 5 so I figgured I might as well order enough for a few amps.

Right now I'm using Sony MDR-E828's, I know, not quite audiophile quality, but as of now I'm happy with these $10 ear buds, but I'm not a audio freak yet. I'm picky on things like the quality of hte file more so than the product pushing it, all of my bedroom's stereo equipment is missmatched 80's era equipment, cables and all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back