first time headphone amp quandary
Nov 28, 2006 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Cirkustanz

100+ Head-Fier
I recently replaced some aging senn HD500's (right side started to cut out) with some 595's (50ohm version) and while they have not been used much, I'm not really convinced that they sound as good as they could. Naturally I am questioning the source I use for them. Most commonly it's the headphone out on my logitech Z-2200 computer speakers, or the headphone out on my surround receiver.
blink.gif

Most of the headphone amps I see, are expensive to me, to a degree that seems laughable. I don't like to upgrade equipment very often, so do I expect to spend more than a few bucks, but the idea of dropping a few hundred on a headphone amplifier seems like hilarity to me.

I have a couple dilemmas. The majority of my audio expertise in the past has been in the realm of speakers. With speakers I have discovered I am very likely to be able to differentiate even subtle changes. I'm entirely positive I can not do this on headphones, especially since I also use cheap IEM's on a daily basis as well.

Are there any headphone amps that should make me happy, giving me the sound quality I am expecting, while being economically feasible?

I have often maintained, to the criticism of my peers, that in the speaker world, the amp is the most important part in the chain of things that equate to the final sound. (barring the source of course) The analytical side of me says that this would also be true in the headphone world, but I don't know how I can test this for myself, without investing even more money.

I could ask the same questions in relation to a DAC I suppose. I'm not sure I'm sold on the idea of using a computer, outputting to a DAC, then to an amp.

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 12
an easy solution would be to get a Corda Aria. it's a headphone amp with a built in dac that is connected to your computer through usb. it's roughly 350 used in the FS section. i like mine and think it sounds great with the 595's. i haven't tested to see which has a more significant impact, the aria's dac or it's amp. i've only used it through usb as i've been quite lazy in making my mini->rca interconnect. but either way, the aria is very nice.

with about 100 hours of breakin, the 595's will start to sound much better. also, plug the phones into your soundcard for the most optimal quality for your setup, unless your receiver produces a pleasant sound. stay away from plugging into the z2200's headphone out.

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #3 of 12
i hate to barge into this thread but

Quote:

unless your receiver produces a pleasant sound

i currently have my pc hooked up to my receiver via s/pdif optical with my cans being plugged into the receiver's headphone jack.

i too am in the same situation as cirkustanz. i'm looking for a great cheap amp but at the same time questioning whether or not i need an amp to power my headphones.

can someone shed some light (general information) between receivers and amps.
i've been told by a friend that i shouldn't need a headphone amp since my receiver is good enough. but i don't really know...

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it's roughly 350 used in the FS section.

Yeah, $350 is a massive amount of money to spend on a headphone amp in my opinion. Now if I made a lot more money, sure!

Quote:

plug the phones into your soundcard for the most optimal quality for your setup, unless your receiver produces a pleasant sound. stay away from plugging into the z2200's headphone out.

The receiver is not connected to the computer at all, different room. Eventually I'll have one of those digital media adaptors hooked up (christmas if I'm lucky) but for now I don't.

Regarding connecting the phones direct to the soundcard instead of the headphone out on my speakers, would the front panel input on my case have the same effect? Obviously that is connected through the front panel audio output on my mainboard, and not the sound card directly so I do wonder. Naturally it's a bit annoying to plugin headphones (especially ones that use a default 1/4 connector) behind the tower.

I suppose that is a question easy to answer with some roommate assisted blind listening tests.
tongue.gif

To that effect I think what I might do when I rebuild my computer in a few months is go with one of the newer soundcards that has a front 3.5/5.25 bay. I've never utilized them before, but I'd certainly assume they would connect from the card itself, and not from the mainboards FPA connectors.

Thanks for replying.

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Don't know where you guys are located, but if it's possible it wouldn't be a bad idea to go to a meet and take a listen to what headphones are capable of.
smily_headphones1.gif

As far as affordable amps are concerned, a possibility is an used LDII+. Seeing that there are likely going to be many LDII+ going up for sale in the FS forum (a new model just came out and people are getting rid of their sometimes problematic old ones). They are/were $180 new with shipping, and there's one for sale in the forum for $70 shipped. I think that's a good deal, and by the way I don't know the person selling it.

Otherwise maybe something like the Bithead from headroom would be a good choice as well, the Bithead also has a built-in USB DAC.

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

can someone shed some light (general information) between receivers and amps. i've been told by a friend that i shouldn't need a headphone amp since my receiver is good enough. but i don't really know...

A receiver is many audio components integrated into one. They switch all your video/audio inputs, decode surround sound schemes, process an audio signal to help with room acoustic problems, amplify the signal so a speaker can utilize it, and tunes am/fm/satellite stations.

An amplifier does nothing but well, amplifies.

Your friend is probably assuming the headphone out on your receiver is of sufficient quality. I'm not sure I would make that same assumption, since even amongst some of the receiver models your average person would consider high-end, have been pretty widely known to go cheap on the headphone out. And for good reason, it's very seldomly used on a receiver. In my experience your average person only uses headphones on a receiver for late night viewing and they don't care about the quality, or they are using wireless headphones anyway......which of course don't utilize the amplifier in the receiver.

I have to admit that the more I think about things, the more I wonder if I would choose convenience over quality myself. The idea of some "tolerable" wireless headphones really does interest me, being vastly more convenient than being tied down and dealing with the cords.

Quote:

Don't know where you guys are located, but if it's possible it wouldn't be a bad idea to go to a meet and take a listen to what headphones are capable of.

I live in minneapolis, mn and I think something like that would be fun. I'd probably end up spending too much money afterwards though.
tongue.gif

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirkustanz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I live in minneapolis, mn and I think something like that would be fun. I'd probably end up spending too much money afterwards though.
tongue.gif

Ha, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Here is the forum where head-fiers organzise meets.

Nov 28, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Regarding connecting the phones direct to the soundcard instead of the headphone out on my speakers, would the front panel input on my case have the same effect? Obviously that is connected through the front panel audio output on my mainboard, and not the sound card directly so I do wonder. Naturally it's a bit annoying to plugin headphones (especially ones that use a default 1/4 connector) behind the tower.

the front headphone out will degrade the quality as opposed to directly out of the jack in the back. usually, there's some interference and you'll have some audible noise due to the parts that are emitting in your computer.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 12
The receiver v. dedicated headphone amp debate has been visited a lot of times here. A quick search will give you a lot to read.

For me, one of the huge benefits of using headphones is that you can get premium amplification inexpensively and it is, on the whole, a lot cleaner than speaker amps. And yes, I know there are exceptions, but you get fantastic sound from good headphone amps. Much better than the average receiver.

Having very linear class A amplification with low distortion is awesome. For comparison, an amp that can do the same with speakers requires more parts (tubes, transistors) and higher power, which increases distortion. You don't need much power to drive cans, so you can get away with fewer parts, which means lower prices. And for those of us who subscribe to the audio philosophy that fewer parts means better sound, it's heaven.

While $350 is a lot of money, top-notch headphone amplification is an order of magnitude cheaper than it is for loudspeakers. Save up and get a good amp. You will not regret it. If finances are tight (or you are just curious) get a soldering iron and build your own. Easier than it sounds and there's a lot of support here, too.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 12
hows about a Silverstone EB-01 USB DAC with a Little Dot 2+ or 2++ for ur headphone setup?

should be way less than 350. and it should sound good too.

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 12
I'm considering a total bithead. Seems to be the most logical choice for a beginner such as myself, especially since if I don't like it, it's got pretty decent resell value. $200 bucks is a lot to throw out, when I'm itching to buy a nintendo wii.
tongue.gif
I was going to pick up a little dot micro+ but I realized my portable (1st gen ipod shuffle) doesn't have a line-out anyway.

It's too bad that none of the smaller amps have a 1/4 headphone out built in. I'm sure they utilize 1/8 because it's much easier to get it in the enclosure. Adapters suck.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

I'm considering a total bithead. Seems to be the most logical choice for a beginner such as myself, especially since if I don't like it, it's got pretty decent resell value. $200 bucks is a lot to throw out, when I'm itching to buy a nintendo wii.
tongue.gif
I was going to pick up a little dot micro+ but I realized my portable (1st gen ipod shuffle) doesn't have a line-out anyway.

It's too bad that none of the smaller amps have a 1/4 headphone out built in. I'm sure they utilize 1/8 because it's much easier to get it in the enclosure. Adapters suck.

I started with a Bithead and never regretted it, even though I have upgraded and rarely use it. For business travel with a laptop, it remains king. They are built like tanks, and do retain there value in the unlikely event you will ever want to sell it.

For an adapter, pick up one of the "dongle" types like Grado makes. The straight metal things do suck, and can easily overstress a headphone jack. Most of the custom cable guys will also make one for you if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back