First time Head-Fi user needing headset advice
Jul 10, 2007 at 10:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cokker

New Head-Fier
Right, im at the point of exploding with confusion on what to choose.

Im after something to use with CS:S etc and listening to DnB, dance and funk.

I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

Sennheiser PC151 (Good bass etc, build quality issues?)
confused.gif

Plantronics .Audio 370 (Better sound? Better build?)
confused.gif

Or
A separate headphone and mic eg: Sennheiser HD212
biggrin.gif
+ any cheap mic.

Now id go for the 212's like a shot but id prefer a headset as it's an all in one package.

Many thanks for your time and patience.

P.S, Yes i did do a full site search (how i found the bass happy 212's) but all it did was add options
eek.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 13
I think that in the long run (especially if you stick around here), you would be happier with the HD212 and a microphone rather than trying to buy a sub-par headset. I've never found a headset that I liked for music.

Go for the 212's. Getting something versatile is the way to go.

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 13
If you mean the Sennheiser HD212, they have to be the one of the worst headphones I have heard at that price point. Nothing but boomy bass, slapped with nasaly mids and no highs or any detail.

At that pricepoint you can find much better basshead cans, like the K81DJ.

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 13
I'd recommend ath-a900 and taping a mic to it. (Well I'd get a shirt clip on mic or something, but ya, DIY headset).

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by qazwsx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean the Sennheiser HD212, they have to be the one of the worst headphones I have heard at that price point. Nothing but boomy bass, slapped with nasaly mids and no highs or any detail.

At that pricepoint you can find much better basshead cans, like the K81DJ.

If you bought the HD212 in a store, then you would find that they are roughly the same price as if you bought the AKG K81DJ online. If you are willing to spend around $80 on a pair, the K81DJ's are regarded as the bass-lover's beginning/portable headphone of choice.

I agree with gazwsx. K81DJ FTW.

Jul 11, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend ath-a900 and taping a mic to it. (Well I'd get a shirt clip on mic or something, but ya, DIY headset).

Or just getting a cheap logitech headset as well as the a900 and using it only for the mic. That has worked well for me.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #10 of 13
You can always get a logitech usb mic so it has a handy mute button and then you can just unplug when you aren't using it

Otherwise check out the zalman clip on mic which clips onto your headphone cord

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM Post #11 of 13
He may not want to spend $180 for an A900s. I'd recommend the A500, they are only $90 at audiocubes. Its by far one of the better gaming cans, awesome soundstage, freakin crazy bass, closed, and extremely comfortable for long gaming sessions. Then get a clip on mic, I think zalman makes a good one for like $7. They don't need an amp either. They are also far far superior then the HD212's for gaming. I have used the plantronics DSP500 and Senn PC150's and they were total junk, don't waste your $$$.

Jul 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #12 of 13
*Takes notes*

Thanks people, so a pair of normal cans like the AKG K81DJ's or ATH a900's with a clip on mic is my best bet?

*Hunts for prices*

EDIT: a900's seem a bit steep for me, il look up the a500's thanks StealthR6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back