First Studio Monitors Help
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

SuperZero5225

100+ Head-Fier
Okay I'm looking for a pair of some Good/Beast Studio Monitors. I'm willing to spend about $300 for the whole setup (Subwoofer, Sound Card, and whatever else I need). I've research some Studio Monitors but I still don't know what I need to get or whatever. Can anybody help?

Studio Monitors I've researched:

M-Audio Studiophile AV40 Powered Monitor Speakers(about $120 pair)- Amazon
Roland MA-15D BK($179 Pair) - Sweetwater
Cakewalk MA-15D Digital Stereo Micro Monitor Pair ($179 Pair) - Amazon
[size=11.0pt]Mackie MR5mk2 2-way Reference Monitor(Sold single for $150 each)[/size]

Have not researched Subwoofers

Have not researched Sound Cards 

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 29
Well thanks for the help guys, I just ordered the 2 Rokit and [size=x-small]Behringer UCA202 Audio Interface. Went a little bit over budget ($10-$15) It's not to bad. Can't wait till Friday to hear them [/size]
smile.gif

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #7 of 29
If you consider getting a pair of Rokits then you should go for RP6's and not RP5's.
They are noticeable better soundwise and you will have more bass without adding a sub.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 29
I didn't have enough to get the 6's. I just rather get the 5's with a sub for $100 less than the 6's. 

I've never heard the swan m200mkII. But I might have to one day. Other than that I love them right now!

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #9 of 29
Feb 20, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #10 of 29

Quote:
If you consider getting a pair of Rokits then you should go for RP6's and not RP5's.
They are noticeable better soundwise and you will have more bass without adding a sub.

I spent about an hour in Guitar Center, but it was difficult to compare the 2 since they were on different setups. The defining moment was listening to a track off the Daft Punk Tron album. When the bass line really hit, the rest of the song sort of faded away on the 5's. The 6's seemed to have more space and give equal weight to everything I was hearing. In the end, I walked out w/ the 6's because of comments like yours. Now that they're home, I can definitely say the bass is FINE. It's more than enough for me wo/ a sub.

That said, I have some minor quibbles:

1. They're HUGE and consume large amounts of my desktop, lol!
2. Dual power buttons, 1 on each speaker, in the back.
3. Dual volume controls, 1 on each speaker, in the back.
4. Bright white LED's on the front.

It's enough to have me order the M50w's once Swan gets stock back in as they would solve all those problems. As long as they sound close, I'll probably switch. But we'll see. It'll be nice to compare.

Edit: Almost forgot, the sweet spot on these is very wide. They sound great when I slouch!

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #11 of 29
Great news man,welcome to the club...
First off i am glad that i helped you even at the slightest..
I know that they are huge but when you listen to your music through them you will forget how much space they aquire,trust me on this one..
wink.gif

It is very important to position them exactly where they sound optimal and try to play with the high frequency switch at the back to achieve better stereo imaging..
O.k the sweet spot is quite wide but play around with the HF switch..
Every adjustment that you will make has to be the same with the other speaker..
And get a pair of Mopads for the vibrations..
Here is my sweet spot set up with the HF on +1db..
Oh i forgot,you mentioned about the volume control at the back..
This is a gain control switch and not a volume control(different things) and you won't have to further adjust it after you've done with your ''experiments''..

Feb 20, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #13 of 29
im not getting much help on my thread so i guess ill come here..sorry superzero but i have $200 to spend and have no idea how to wire these. i just ahve a self built computer with 8 3.5mm jacks on the back of it. 7.1 surround ..doesn't mean anything i know. im a headphone and sound science guy. what do i need?

now i've been looking at these:
A2/A5
AV 40

everything else is really out of my budget. what should i do/get? i like bass. not soo much that it drowns it all out. im selling my super bass Z623's to suplement this purchase.

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #15 of 29

Quote:
Yeah and I love them very much. 

Congrats for your new speakers and i hope you'll enjoy them even more in the future..
Judging from your photos i can say that your desk is not high enough..
Are the tweeters at the same height with your ears when you are sitting?
If not you must find a way to adjust the height of the speakers so that the tweeter in each is at ear level when sitting..
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back