First Set-up ever! Need advice from the experts at head-fi
Jun 11, 2010 at 1:48 PM Post #16 of 43
Clip+ and Senn HD25 for portable use.  You'll see DJ's everywhere rocking those cans and they're also portable and sound great.  Don't get the Grado, you'll leak sound and turn the volume way up just to hear the music when you're on the go.  For [somewhat mobile] home use, I use a Monitor 02 US straight from my laptop (it's a async USB DAC/AMP).  There are plenty of USB DAC/Amps out there, just choose one that fits your price point.

Jun 11, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #18 of 43

Quote:
Clip+ with FiiO E5 velcro'd on it's back and Koss KSC75.

How do you plan to velcro the E5 onto the clip of the Clip+ w/o removing the clip?  You would be better of w/ a Fuze in that case, more battery life, LOD and video ability.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #19 of 43

Quote:
How do you plan to velcro the E5 onto the clip of the Clip+ w/o removing the clip?  You would be better of w/ a Fuze in that case, more battery life, LOD and video ability.

well, if that's better for you then no problem. I just like the Look of the E5 + Clip+ more when velcro'd, that's all. And if it weren't for the gym part, i would recommend the Fuze > LOD > E7 > HD25

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 43
Quote:
wooja978 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I don't have anything against them! I just like the look of the headphones when I'm skating.

Skating is like being on stage, so stage monitors would be kind of cool.  They will not interfere with hats and are efficient enough that you will not need to lug around an amp.  IEM’s are the perfect upgrade for ipod type sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooja978   Tbh, I don't know much about IEMs.

In-ear monitors(IEMs) are used by musicians, sound engineers, and sound nuts, to listen to music or to hear a custom crafted mix of vocals and stage instrumentation for live performance and studio mixing.  They provide adjustable levels of noise reduction from outside sounds.

IEM’s are very lightweight, highly portable, sound phenomenal, and inexpensive.

Higher end IEM’s have multiple drivers plus a crossover circuit installed, much like any studio monitor.  The most popular here seems to be the Ultimate ears, ShureSE530, and Westone 3.  If you like french music the FOTW sm3.
Quote:
 wooja978    I assumed that for the portability and comfort they offer, you would be sacrificing sound? 

Do you think professionals would sacrifice sound?
Quote:
Or perhaps cost?

What would you say if price was no object, then responders found something to fit well within your budget?
Quote:
wooja978   I will most likely buy a decent pair of IEMs further down the track! 

Why wait, use the funds now and get better.

Headphones are so ancient, like from another world, from another century..  Chicks wearing buds, are curious about high tech earplugs and the people who wear them.  

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #21 of 43
That was simultaneously one of the most interesting and ignorant posts that I've read on Head-Fi.

No need to craft an argument.  I've heard dozens of IEM's, most of the big universals, but none of them were comfortable or sounded decent compared to the headphones I had at the time.

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 43

x2. Gave me a good laugh though, credits to him for that. IMHO cans always give me the bigger, more immersive sound.

Quote:
That was simultaneously one of the most interesting and ignorant posts that I've read on Head-Fi.

No need to craft an argument.  I've heard dozens of IEM's, most of the big universals, but none of them were comfortable or sounded decent compared to the headphones I had at the time.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #23 of 43
hey guys, i was pleasantly surprised this morning to see so many replies.

townyj and rawrster, thanks for the tip bout skimping on the amp.

newduke seems to like his e5. i was considering the sflo2 but could not find anyone selling them cheaply on the forum.

it seems like people aren't too impressed with the grado's. looks like i might have to change it soon. but i can't change it now since i've paid for it already. might as well try them then.

sumflow thanks for taking time to share your thoughts on the IEMs. i would def consider them.

jageur, i had a look at the monitor 02 us looks pretty good, but according to the head-fi review it doesn't go well with a grado and will require additional amp to sound good! 

i don't want closed cans as townyj pointed out i would like to hear when mates are calling and traffic, don't wanna be anti-social or get hit by a bus o.O 

i think i will def need a dac/amp tho because as jageur said the grado's will be leaking too much volume. so for now i will get:

sr-60i
fuze LOD 

and I'm not sure which amp to get....
- corda headsix (reluctant bcoz of price)
- monitor 02 us (good dac but mayb doesn't suit my needs)
- fiio e5 (apparently doesn't do much)
- any other dac/amps that are small enough to be portable as well as home PC-use that you can recommend?

Cheers for all the help, Jas.

Jun 11, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #24 of 43

Welcome to the hobby.  To answer your question, Yes the Clip+ does have expandable storage, plays FLAC and is tiny enough to take everywhere.

Congrats on your Grado purchase.  They are a great intro to headphones IMO.

I currently own the SR60i's and I'm waiting for my clip+ to arrive.  In the meantime, I've been enjoying the Grado's out of my iPod Touch and PC.  However, I couldn't see skating with them or taking them to the gym, but that's just me.  The cable length (6' long), thickness (1/4") and the cable weight don't really scream portable to me.  Will they work that way??  Sure, but I think it might become an issue later.  Since you already purchased the Grado's, save them for home use.  They will sound good out of the Clip, Fuze or any other source.  As for amplification, they do sound even better to me through my little FiiO E3, (a freebie w/another purchase) with it's basic bass boost and bump in power.  But it's not a necessity.  I enjoy them straight out of my iPod.

I agree with Townyj, skip the LOD and Amp setup for now and buy a DAP with a higher storage capacity.  I'd also suggest following some of the others advice on portable headphones.  I use IEM's for portability/exercising, so I'm not qualified to offer suggestions on portable Headphones. 

Good luck in your search and enjoy...
Quote:
hi anaxilus. thanks for the clear up. that was helpful. does clip+ have expandable storage too? didn't know that. anyway, i'm changing my mind, and the set-up i'm gonna get is:

sr-60i
corda headsix amp
sanza fuze with lod

hopefully it will sound alright. so if I use the LOD i can't rockbox it? will i be missing out on much?

only bought the headphones so there's still time to change! would love more opinions, though.

cheers, Jas.

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #25 of 43
wooja, if you go with a Grado, I will guarantee you that you will be playing it at levels over 90dB to your ears.  They leak so much sound that using them outside of one house is entirely inadvisable.  You asked for opinions with hindsight, and that's mine.  I had friends a room over (lived in a suite) able to hear my MS1's.  Try the ES7's or D1001's.  They don't isolate like IEM's, but they will protect your hearing and you'll be able to hear important noises just fine.

The amp on the Monitor should be fine if you get relatively sensitive cans (i.e. Grados, ES7's, D1k's, etc.).

Jun 11, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #26 of 43
S:Flo 2 is an improvement SQ wise over the Clip, (I own a S:Flo 2 and owned a Fuze) - But in the interests of portability, better UI, Rockboxing, cheapness and a more 'pure' uncoloured sound, Clip would be better.
If you got the Grados, you'd probably kill your ears + annoy others/appear a wierdo. The skating and other noise would either ruin your music or force you to pump it to high levels.
Really, clip-ons would be recommendable, since IEMs you don't like, have microphonics, and may be hazardous getting to work?

Jun 12, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #27 of 43
joey thanks for your comments! jageur, yeah i think your point has been driven home, the grado's aren't good portables. i've already paid for them, so i'll just use them for awhile. 

cheers guys, i think that's enough to get me thinking, and a bit more. all my questions have been answered, thank you!

Jun 12, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 43
thanks for that townyj. it does look like that's the best and most underrated amp in that price range. Clioes seems to think it's better than the e7 and iBasso too...i will think about it! 

Jun 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #30 of 43
Anyone who may have come in late, and are interested in what IEM's are? 

Monitor suggests that professions may use the earphone, but now a days the term is used by anybody selling a speaker so small that it fits inside of your ear.

Did I mention that unlike speakers in the house, or full sized headphones, you can hear stereo when you lay down on your side with your IEM's in both ears.

Some of the premium brands have an optional volume control in the cord, if you want to hear people talking, you can just turn the music down.  When you get your iPhone you can also get an inline mike for IEM's.
Quote:
ychao24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif   IMHO cans always give me the bigger, more immersive sound.

Maybe IEM’s are a step down from high end cans costing tons more, but those same cans are a big step down from moderately priced real outside of your head speakers.

jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif  I've heard dozens of IEM's, most of the big universals, but none of them were comfortable or sounded decent compared to the headphones I had at the time.

When music is recorded you can hear it in both ears from both sides all of the time.  Cans as well as IEM's, and buds, separate the sides completely.    This changes, distorts what was there before. 

Some of the premium brands have an optional volume control in the cord if you want to hear people talking, you can just turn the music down.
When you get your iPhone you can also get an inline mike for IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back